Gibson Brands Forums

Split coils on my Epiphone LP

rami939

Howdy,

I've received my new Seymour Duncan 59/JB 4 wires conductors,and now I have to shop for new pull/pots .

I would like to buy CTS brand,and wonder if anybody have a favorite store to get those other than e bay,and I'm a bit confuse about the Linear and audio taper types.

What would be the recommendation for this set up ?

Do I need to get the volume bleed kit as well ?

Any advise/suggestion would be greatly appreciated .

Please feel free to add any of your own experience with pots.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Pics?

Sorry if this isn't much help but....

I mostly do 50s dependent wiring. I'm honestly not sure that CTS makes push pull pots.

Anyone?

That aside I prefer Linear volumes pots and audio tones when using 50's style....also...

no need for treble bleeds when doing 50's.

If you go with modern (stock) it is a different animal.

Where do you live?

Willy

Hi Rami, welcome to the forums, a great bunch of geet geeks inhabit these here parts, I hope you like the place.

I've been lead to believe that CTS don' t make push-pulls and I've never seen any available, so I tend to believe that would be the case.

I've been using Alpha push-pulls with great success and have never encountered any problems with them. The standard configuration is to use the "Modern' wiring scheme with Audio Tapers for the Tone controls and Linear Tapers for the Volumes. Unless you use the volume controls on the guitar at anything below 6 on a regular basis then the Treble Bleed mod isn't really required IMO. Hope this helps.

I usually get mine from eBay, though I have also bought them from Guitar Fetish on occasion, Audio Taper Push-Pull, for some reason I can't seem to find Linear Taper equivalents on GFS any more.

BTW: 500k is the pot resistance value normally used for humbuckers.

OK,

thanks for the replays.

There's a Gibson Traditional TP model that comes with pull/push pots,and I thought that they were using CTS's,but maybe I'm wrong.

Check this :

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

I didn't know about the 50's wiring until I read a few threads in here.Does that sound different than the regular wiring ?

The guitar is a regular Made in Korea in '99,all stock . I bought about year ago but never made played it too much,and recently took it out of under the bed,started playing with it and fell in love with it,specially the sustain that it has,so,I've decided to upgrade the electronics.It also stays in tune very well.

The original pick ups are kind of sucky though .

So, to summarize, the pull/push pot goes to the volume (linear),and the tone pots should be audio tapers regular CTS ,all 500k,right ?. Unless going with the 50's wiring .

Also,do this guitars controls(pots) come attached to a plastic/metal template plate like the Gibson ?

Thanks

rami939

So.Cal.

post-35966-093679300 1316397371_thumb.jpg

The push-pulls can be on any of the controls you like, it's up to your personal preference, I put mine on the Volume controls because they are closer to your playing hand than the Tone controls are.

Sorry, I don't understand the Gibson plastic/metal template question.

The link below will take you to the Mojotone site. They have Push-Push pots that might interest you. I heard about them from brianh on this forum. I'm starting to like the idea of these pots. No digging around to pull the control, just push it every time.

This link will take you to short shaft 250 k pots, but they also have them in long shaft, and also in 500 k.

Mojo Push-Push Pots

Welcome to the forum!

Pics?

Sorry if this isn't much help but....

I mostly do 50s dependent wiring. I'm honestly not sure that CTS makes push pull pots.

Anyone?

That aside I prefer Linear volumes pots and audio tones when using 50's style....also...

no need for treble bleeds when doing 50's.

If you go with modern (stock) it is a different animal.

Where do you live?

Willy

I'm in Southern California

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! those push/push pots seems to be a great option.

One push you are humbucker,and another push you are single coil.

I like those better than pull/push.

I wonder if quality wise they are good.

Thanks for the linky.

Yamaha use push-push on the solid body SG series. They are much easier to use than pull / push and are reliable.

Howdy,

I've received my new Seymour Duncan 59/JB 4 wires conductors,and now I have to shop for new pull/pots .

I would like to buy CTS brand,and wonder if anybody have a favorite store to get those other than e bay,and I'm a bit confuse about the Linear and audio taper types.

What would be the recommendation for this set up ?

Do I need to get the volume bleed kit as well ?

Any advise/suggestion would be greatly appreciated .

Please feel free to add any of your own experience with pots.

Thanks.

Sorry to come into this so late, but if you're still looking for parts I highly recommend this place;

http://tubesandmore.com/

CTS 500K pots are $3.25 (Page 55), Gibson pots are $8.50, push/pulls are $9.95. Orange Drop caps are 60 cents to 95 (Page 44). If you poke around the site they have a downloadable PDF catalog which is easier to navigate, plus you can leisurely go through it of course. They sell literally everything guitar and amp.

They don't have pre-wired kits (at least I haven't found them), but if you google "les paul wiring diagrams" you'll find 100 different ways to wire things up to your tastes, then just buy the parts accordingly.

Hey! those push/push pots seems to be a great option.

One push you are humbucker,and another push you are single coil.

I like those better than pull/push.

I wonder if quality wise they are good.

Thanks for the linky.

It seemed that way to me too, but you can't tell by looking at a push-push whether it's in HB or coil cut mode, which can be confusing on stage. Also, I've heard push-pushes don't hold up well and wear out much quicker than push-pulls.

It seemed that way to me too, but you can't tell by looking at a push-push whether it's in HB or coil cut mode, which can be confusing on stage. Also, I've heard push-pushes don't hold up well and wear out much quicker than push-pulls.

My information is the opposite regarding reliability although you may well be right for all I know.

Certainly, I do not have any problem in perceiving on my "push - push" Yamaha whether the pot is in or out.

I recently did coil splitters on my LP. I did 50s style dependent wiring, I used 500k audio push/pulls for the volumes and 500k linear for the tones, and also replaced the stock capacitors with some better quality ones.

The results good, but I wished that I had used Audio tapers for all the pots because the linnear tone controls only start to roll off the highs down at about number 2 or 3 on the speed dial.

Archived