Gibson Brands Forums

Silvertone 1448

EVOL!

Doesn't someone else on this board have a Silvertone 1448 guitar? Thought I saw one in those family photos.

I've got one... It took me a year to talk my buddy out of it [biggrin]

I don't have my dano in front of me, but im pretty sure you can flip the saddles around for more room if needed.

You mean this picture?

DSCN1166.jpg

I'm with Nat. Mines bone stock. Never found any reason to replace anything on it. I actually used it to record the closing song that gets played on all the Six String Bliss shows.

Nice!! What's the one in the upper right corner, beside the classical??

Thanks, but I have the amp in the case and it still works. Cool little setup. Heck, all of the old Silvertone amps are pretty sweet. I think the 1481 has an 8" speaker.

be a bit careful w/that.....my ex bro'in-law had the 3 tube amp in case model (think they also made one w/2 tubes), and the case (and his carpet) caught fire !

be a bit careful w/that.....my ex bro'in-law had the 3 tube amp in case model (think they also made one w/2 tubes), and the case (and his carpet) caught fire !

The amp tech that replaced the speaker about five years ago warned me about this amp. He called it a death trap since there is no ground. His advice was to always wear rubber soled sneakers when playing it.

Evol what kindof strap is that? I just ordered a Couch strap the other day. I'm pretty psyched it's a super sweet strap.

Fuzzy is right, it is a Souldier . They have ones with a lot of cool patterns; even the extra wide ones like that. This one was cheap and I needed a wide strap so I went plain.

I just wanna say, that guitar looks like such a ****. a hot ****, and I mean that in the nicest way possible [thumbup]

Dub, I'm pretty sure its a Souldier strap, made in Chicago. I'm gonna ask for one for christmas, preferably the Tweedy sig because I'm a fanboy lol

EDIT: I can't say s l u t?

No, you cannot use that word. I once got flagged in a comments section because I used the word booger. How Puritanical is that?

Good choice on the Tweedy signature strap.

Someones replaced the nut. I'd say that's where your problem is.

That nut does look high...if that is what Searcy means...

Correct. That is not the original aluminum nut. Had it replaced five years ago since it was shot. And trust me; the nut is fine. Looking down the neck from the headstock, the nut looks tall, but if you look at it in relation to the fretboard's height it is good.

No, you cannot use that word. I once got flagged in a comments section because I used the word booger. How Puritanical is that?

Good choice on the Tweedy signature strap.

that's lame

but the owls are cool, I gotta stop by CME when I go back to Illinois, I'll def hit you up when I get back

Correct. That is not the original aluminum nut. Had it replaced five years ago since it was shot. And trust me; the nut is fine. Looking down the neck from the headstock, the nut looks tall, but if you look at it in relation to the fretboard's height it is good.

De-string it, tap out that nut, put in a blank. You'll prolly be able to file the neck side of the blank enough to get the string long enough to not be sharp anymore. In other words, the string stops too soon, needs to go farther, be longer, in order to be less sharp. If the saddles are all the way back, that's about all you can do without re-drilling the bridge location.

It isn't so much that height by itself, it is the height in relation to the length of the string and the placement of the bridge.

No offense, my Silvertones back then weren't exactly put together by rocket scientists, so some discrepancies in the bridge location(s) might be expected among a few of their guitars. If the bridge isn't placed zactly right, you'll never get it, and it doesn't have to be that far out to not work.

Thinner nut so that string goes farther from the bridge will help the sharpsies, but only so much. Nut as it is but string stops farther from the bridge will help, again only so much.

Good luck with it!

rct

Thanks rct. I'll look into a new nut if the intonation continues to drive me crazy.

Is the intonation so bad it actually is driving you crazy, or are you driving yourself crazy because the t00ner, which hears things humans can never ever hope to hear, told you the intonation was out?

Be honest. If it actually is out, you can probably tune around that, depending on if using it for up high or open chords. If not, my last Silvertone/Danelectro, just like yours, was used for slide because it wouldn't intonate for anything. Made my teles look great!

rct

Is the intonation so bad it actually is driving you crazy, or are you driving yourself crazy because the t00ner, which hears things humans can never ever hope to hear, told you the intonation was out?

It is driving me mildly crazy and I can tune around it so I won't be showing up at corner grocery store with an AK-47 because of it. When the strings are tuned to pitch an open E chord is out while D and G chords are OK, but nowhere near where it was when I had the rosewood saddled bridge on.

And slide does sound ace on these beauties.

Archived