Gibson Brands Forums

Muddy low sound with Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Santanu

You mentioned that you purchased the guitar through Ebay. Did you buy it new from a reputable, authorized dealer or did the advertisement state it would be shipped direct from the factory in China? I am not trying to get you worried but there are a lot of fakes being sold on ebay and I would like to rule that out as a possible cause. Can you post some pictures of the guitar you bought?

Guys, you guys are LIFE SAVER! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! My guitar is has the life, it has the soul (@Damian you were right) My guitar is cutting fine.

After returning home I starts preparing the tests those you've mentioned, @AnimalFarm - you were right, it was with the input jack probably. It was with the connection. What I did after returning home is, I didn't have any sandpaper, so I took out some plain clean paper, I had one SEIKO fiber glass clean cloth (it does some good clean with my glasses, so I take it out), and I start try cleaning the input jack that you've mentioned. And guys, after a sort of time, you have taken my breath away :) I was still sweating at that time, I couldn't had a breath left to shout even! :)

Thank you AnimalFarm, thank you all for your helpful and supportive advices.

One thing now I do know, that unlike my previous electric Acoustic one, this will do require my clean attention with it - I do need to keep it's soul light. I needs your advices please:

1. Does often plug in/out cause of the 1/4 input jack could cause trouble in any form (?)

2. Does my instrument requires any special attention in the rainy days (?) My camera do requires that.

3. What could be the immediate elements that I would require to purchase to keep my guitar healthy.

4. How could I make it assure that the input jack trouble shall not come again.

Again, thank you all guys! You ppl are really Life Savers! Peace!

You mentioned that you purchased the guitar through Ebay. Did you buy it new from a reputable, authorized dealer or did the advertisement state it would be shipped direct from the factory in China? I am not trying to get you worried but there are a lot of fakes being sold on ebay and I would like to rule that out as a possible cause. Can you post some pictures of the guitar you bought?

Hello Barcham,

Yes, I purchased it from an EBay re-seller named 'cart2India', the item location was NJ,USA. I think I've also seen the location is from USA with the AWBill and was shipped with Chronos courrier. Yes, I would love to share the images of ma' guitar with you :D do you have any special interest of any particular parts that you wants me to take picture for you (?) Though my Epiphone guitar case had a sticker with it 'Made in China' :)

That's wonderful.......I'm very happy for you........As far as the climate goes, what country are you in ??? This will help us help you...

The jack is built for lots of use, however, they can go bad, get loose, etc etc....There's the washer on the outside of the jack;

keep this tight....Wires will sometimes come loose....With some solder it can usually be fixed....Usually wiping the srings down

after playing will make them last longer.......Others will add info, and will correct me ( :rolleyes:[crying][scared][lol] ) when I'm wrong........

Once again, congrats.....Always ask us questions, we'll always be here Santanu...........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .........

Yes, pics would be nice.....Some members ( and me ) use Photobucket, it's free............

As you may know, there are many fake Epiphones out there....Seeing as you bought yours from the U.S.,

there's a good chance it's real.........Congrats....Now you need a nice amp....We also know our amps......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

Yes, pics would be nice.....Some members ( and me ) use Photobucket, it's free............

As you may know, there are many fake Epiphones out there....Seeing as you bought yours from the U.S.,

there's a good chance it's real.........Congrats....Now you need a nice amp....We also know our amps......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

Sure thing Damian, I'll keep you all posted with the pictures of my Guitar :) I've Flickr, I'll keep them posted there.

I'm from India, and at the moment raining happening here almost everyday. Btw, is there any particular liquid or kind of thing I do require to purchase to clean the strings (? I've seen there are some varied liquids selling in different instrumental sites! god knows what are they actually I don't have much idea).

Everyones opinion will vary on this but, I generally use a clean cloth to wipe things down. You can use just a damp cloth for the finger smudges. I also use lemon oil on my fingerboards when i restring. In my opinion nothing else is really necessary.

Next time you do your fretboard, get some valve oil for a reed instrument (Sax, Trumpet etc.) and let the oil sit overnight on the fretboard and wipe clean the next day. You will be amazed... Lemon Oil builds up, this does not and really is a fretboard lifesaver in dry climates like AZ and SoCal.. but works everywhere.

I was shown this many many years ago by a top Luthier. I said *BS* too until he proved me wrong....

I know you have the low muddy sound issue resolved, imagine the smile he would have with a set of Duncans, new pots and treble bleed caps..

Stock Epi's sound muddy, look at how many mod threads there are on that issue... there is a reason for that.

Stock Epi's sound muddy, look at how many mod threads there are on that issue... there is a reason for that.

There is also a much cheaper solution than usual changing pickups too that's worth exploring, it involves using a cap inline on the pickup's hot lead, it can brighten a pickup up considerably, and only costs a few bucks to try out.

Taming Muddy Sounding Pickups

Guys, I'll gonna post my guitar actual pics soon, for the time being here's the link where from the guitar actually purchased (through the shipping bill details what I've found including the ASIN - B0015227JY): http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Standard-Collection-Plain-Top-Honeyburst/dp/B0015227JY/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1316842927&sr=1-2

And thank you for commenting me with the suggestions to keep my guitar soulful - I'll need them with time.

@claydots, "Stock Epi's sound muddy, look at how many mod threads there are on that issue... there is a reason for that." - what you think the reason? The pickups wasn't the problem that I've found, but the input jack connection!

Santanu, the issue and discussions about Epiphone pickups is extensive......Remember, most of us on this forum own several guitars, and some like me

own, um, er, ah, hmmm, many guitars........So we have a varied experience with different guitars and pickups......When guys like us have so much experience

with many guitars, the differences become very apparent.......In your case, with just one SUPER FINE and REAL EPIPHONE LES PAUL, you will be more

than happy with it's tone and sound......Myself, I prefer upgrading Epi Les Paul pickups to Gibson Classic '57s.....This is expensive.....Others upgrade to

different brands of pickups, and many are happy with the stock pickups......So, unless you get a chance to play a Gibson Les Paul with it's pickups, then,

by default, you won't hear the difference, and you'll be happy with your stock pickups, which actually are just fine.......Read the link by RaSTuS, it's interesting..

What I find most important right now is, that, the Epi you found appears to be the real deal, and not a fake or a copy...............................................................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 9/18/2011 at 7:54 PM, Santanu said:

Hi,

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I use a Vox 'Metal' headphone amp and as a storage for the guitar I use Epiphone Les Paul Standard hardcase.

These past few days the sound from the guitar was very clean and uncut tone - I was pretty much had love with it. Last night I put the guitar into the case as the other usual days, today at morning when I take it out from the case, and plugged the Vox amp - it was sounded like very muddy low and distorted - that clear uncut sound wasn't there anymore! This kind of making me worried. I doesn't have much idea about the electric guitar neither here at ours side of world we have any Gibson authorized store too.

Any suggestion perhaps (?)

Thank you.

You might try putting some fresh batteries in your Vox 'Metal' headphone amp. Battery amps tend to not sound very good when the batteries start to get weak..

14 hours ago, mihcmac said:

You might try putting some fresh batteries in your Vox 'Metal' headphone amp. Battery amps tend to not sound very good when the batteries start to get weak..

First, this thread is 8 years old, second, if you read all the post you'd see it wasn't the batteries, he said 8 years ago he tried that and he was able to identify 8 years ago it was the input jack that was the issue.

Second, There's some cool pictures in this dude's Flickr.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2011 at 4:47 AM, Santanu said:

Hello Guys :)

Here's are a few pic of my Les Paul :) hope you'd like.

Thanks again.

Regards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/santanukarar/

13 hours ago, deeman said:

First, this thread is 8 years old, second, if you read all the post you'd see it wasn't the batteries, he said 8 years ago he tried that and he was able to identify 8 years ago it was the input jack that was the issue.

Second, There's some cool pictures in this dude's Flickr.

Hmm... Its the old ancient thread syndrome...

But since its still a relevant issue...... That when a battery powered amp starts to sound bad, first re-charge or replace the batteries.. They sound really bad when the power gets low..... 🙂

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hmm... Its the old ancient thread syndrome...

But since its still a relevant issue...... That when a battery powered amp starts to sound bad, first re-charge or replace the batteries.. They sound really bad when the power gets low..... 🙂

True, but if you would have read just the 2nd and 3rd posts of this 8 year old thread you resurrected, you would see the point you were making to resurrect an 8 year old thread was already discussed.  I'm not sure why I'm so triggered about this, but I am.[biggrin]

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2011 at 2:06 AM, damian said:

Ah ha !!!!!! Epiphone Les Pauls do NOT like spending the night alone in their case.....Guitars have FEELINGS !!!!! You broke your

guitar's heart !!!!! As such, it lost it's soul, and it's tone will never return !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [crying] :unsure: [scared][sneaky] .....

Welcome to the forum.....Your guitar has two volume and two tone knobs....For the clearest tone, turn these all the way up....

The other problem could be, the battery in your headphone amp died......Also, your guitar has two pickups, the upper bout

switch switches between the two pickups....I'm assuming you are a newbie....(???)..Try these, and come back and ask more

questions..............

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2011 at 2:53 AM, Santanu said:

Yes, I'm a newbie here.. I almost have no idea what the proper case for my guitar could be - so I purchased the company made one only! No, I did tried changing the batteries of my amp (if they died only I'd be happy) - but it's changed nothing. Btw, what is 'upper bout switch between switches' (?) - sorry I'm really a newbie - and your answer is actually broke my heart too! suggest any help how can I get back my guitar sound! and what was the cause created by the case??

6 hours ago, deeman said:

True, but if you would have read just the 2nd and 3rd posts of this 8 year old thread you resurrected, you would see the point you were making to resurrect an 8 year old thread was already discussed.  I'm not sure why I'm so triggered about this, but I am.[biggrin]

Doesn't matter, still relevant, people are still reading it....

So if your battery amp sounds bad, first check battery level, guitar connections, selector switches and controls, then headphones, sometimes too much gain will overdrive the headphones .. Not always in that order....

Archived