Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff's Sonic Thread

Jeff-7

And while I do dig analog delay (not much of a digital fan anymore. Too clean. Too unnatural. Reminds me of the shredders of the late 80s with their complicated rack setups and high gain preamps.

You haven't heard me use analog delay, have you? Nothing clean about it. When it's on, it's really on. I twist knobs too to get the pedal oscillating.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You haven't heard me use analog delay, have you? Nothing clean about it. When it's on, it's really on. I twist knobs too to get the pedal oscillating.

I know that analog delays are very dark, dirty, and murky. I think you misread my post but I'll apologize for that since I am not always clear! Does the oscillation sound like UFOs? Echoplexes do that UFO sound better than anything else. I know this won't interest you, but when Ace Frehley would do his solo from 1976-78 (Destroyer tour to Alive II tour.) in either Cold Gin or Shock Me, his tech would play around with the Echoplex controls while Ace would pick up his smoker (his Les Paul Deluxes/Standards with the smoking pickup) and "fly" it around him as if it were a UFO. Ace had some of the best uses for delay IMHO, whether it be the overpowering delay with a lot of repeats used as a special effect during his solo (which he still does), the aforementioned UFO effects, his uses of delay in songs like I'm In Need Of Love, Wiped Out, and Rock Soldiers, and even a simple slapback delay which he used to use A LOT (a good example is the little solo in the ending of Rocket Ride, right before Peter Criss's mini-solo). Tidbits for all you Ace fans on here!

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I've had things to add but I happened upon a deal that was too good to pass up. '96 MIM Tele in mint condition with HSC, some Fender tuner I've never seen before, and 10 sets of 9s. Got it all for $135, same place where I got the '64 Gibson LG1.

i4q2.jpg

Plan is to try my hand at refinishing with this axe, then mod it with a Bigsby, electronics, pups etc.

Archived