Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff's Sonic Thread

Jeff-7

Was hunting down a slight rattle when I would ring out a B on the A string, removed the head from the cab figured some of you would like to see some wiring shots. Pardon some bluriness a little shaky with the iPhone camera.

ac30reardisassemble1.jpg

This is a shot of the fix (credit to McAllister Productions) the newest production series of this amp received. The 2 connections you see in the middle used to have resistors placed here which would create an awful noise once the tubes were replaced from stock,the fix put them elsewhere in the chain. Luckily I got a fixed version and didn't need to take it in for a service fix.

ac30reardisassemble2mca.jpg

Shot after removing the head from the cab.

ac30reardisassemble4wir.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice man! those speakers are totes magotes sweet!

Thanks man, the blues are finally starting to break in and it's sounding so good! Putting the birch ply cover back once the head was reinstalled was a pita, couldn't hardly get the screws lined back up to where they needed to be.

Thanks man, the blues are finally starting to break in and it's sounding so good! Putting the birch ply cover back once the head was reinstalled was a pita, couldn't hardly get the screws lined back up to where they needed to be.

sweet deal brother! that's gotta be awesome. I'm trying to decide whether I want to invest in a new speaker for my Sunn, or take out the head, put it in a box and get a 2x12 for it... decisions, decisions

I'm a fan of 2x12's (obviously :D) but that's all up to you, if at all possible you could always hook it up to a loaded 2x12 cab and see if the difference is worth it. I would think some of the music stores would be more than happy to let you do that, it'd just involve lugging the beast around to the shops haha. Definitely make sure the cabs match your ohm load and wattage though or it could get costly.

I'm a fan of 2x12's (obviously :D) but that's all up to you, if at all possible you could always hook it up to a loaded 2x12 cab and see if the difference is worth it. I would think some of the music stores would be more than happy to let you do that, it'd just involve lugging the beast around to the shops haha. Definitely make sure the cabs match your ohm load and wattage though or it could get costly.

word. And its all about appearance too (I'm shallow, I know) I just think head and cab looks cooler haha

and Kimba, hook a bro up with that pink tiger stripe [biggrin]

Wow, Jeff. I am super happy for you and super jealous at the same time. The handwired AC30 has always been high on my list of dream amps. Now that I know they have a master volume bypass I am even more in love. Yeah, not a fan of master volume knobs.

I just remembered you are a fellow fan of Goodkind. Have you checked out The Omen Machine yet? I'm hoping to get a copy soon.

I haven't yet I need to! I almost entered to win the book and manuscript a couple months before release but you had to do something with youtube or w/e so I passed.

word. And its all about appearance too (I'm shallow, I know) I just think head and cab looks cooler haha

and Kimba, hook a bro up with that pink tiger stripe [biggrin]

75% of your cred is appearance bro!

Wow, Jeff. I am super happy for you and super jealous at the same time. The handwired AC30 has always been high on my list of dream amps. Now that I know they have a master volume bypass I am even more in love. Yeah, not a fan of master volume knobs.

Thanks! I was torn the past few months on either the new hand wireds or an old JMI era AC30, on the new HWs they fixed the wiring issue and they just sound sooo good so I just had to grab it. Hard to pass up as good as they are plus the warranties etc. Buying an old JMI, as sweet as they sound, could have had a bunch of replacement parts, breakdowns (let's face it, they did have reliability issues back then) etc. so I may have had to sell a kidney eventually. Overall I'm extremely happy with this amp, just needing to buy a few pedals and I should be set for quite a while.

Hey Jeff thanks for the gutshots man. I know how much it sucks to open (and close) an ac30. Those guts are super sexy. They used carbon comp resistors and everything! That thing is ******* mojo'd out dude. If I opened up my amp and found that, I would explode.

I'm planning on building some pedals on turret board but the parts are pretty expensive. First on the list is a point to point Devi Ever Soda Meiser.

Hey Jeff thanks for the gutshots man. I know how much it sucks to open (and close) an ac30. Those guts are super sexy. They used carbon comp resistors and everything! That thing is ******* mojo'd out dude. If I opened up my amp and found that, I would explode.

I'm planning on building some pedals on turret board but the parts are pretty expensive. First on the list is a point to point Devi Ever Soda Meiser.

Yeah they've done a ridiculously good job on these, it's the first time in my life where I don't even feel the need to consider another amp purchase. I'd love to get some DE pedals, the Silver Rose would be killer, as well as the Rocket, Soda Meiser, the list goes on. I'm going to do the mammoth build for a fuzz pedal, ordering a Carbon Copy and a Polytune today from Sweetwater, and I need to either figure out a build or splurge and get a Lehle ABY pedal.

Ah man. That's the best feeling. Total gear satisfaction.

Devi's pedals rule. I love them. They're not for everybody though. They seem to all be pretty quirky and you'll probably either love them or hate them. Luckily I've loved the 3 that I've bought so far. There are a few more that I really want right now.

Good luck with the mammoth build. Just be careful not to use very much solder. You can **** up those boards pretty quickly by overdoing it. I prefer the madbean style pcbs. They don't have the IC version of the Muff, but they have a basic Muff board where you can choose to build it to the specs of the ram's head, triangle, green Russian, civil war, etc. I'd recommend those for a first build over the guitarpcb/mammoth one. It's a lot easier to solder on and cheaper too.

Also have you checked out the Malekko 616? It's the same price as the Carbon Copy and analog and kinda cooler IMO.

Ah man. That's the best feeling. Total gear satisfaction.

Devi's pedals rule. I love them. They're not for everybody though. They seem to all be pretty quirky and you'll probably either love them or hate them. Luckily I've loved the 3 that I've bought so far. There are a few more that I really want right now.

Good luck with the mammoth build. Just be careful not to use very much solder. You can **** up those boards pretty quickly by overdoing it. I prefer the madbean style pcbs. They don't have the IC version of the Muff, but they have a basic Muff board where you can choose to build it to the specs of the ram's head, triangle, green Russian, civil war, etc. I'd recommend those for a first build over the guitarpcb/mammoth one. It's a lot easier to solder on and cheaper too.

Also have you checked out the Malekko 616? It's the same price as the Carbon Copy and analog and kinda cooler IMO.

I agree for sure, I'm really wanting to do an IC muff first. I've done a lot of welding and soldering in the past so I shouldn't need to worry too much on the mammoth build. The Malekko is cool too I was planning on getting that for a second delay in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just turn this into my thread o' goodies:

The Red Beast

redbeast.jpg

This is the most fantastic delay I've ever used, the modulation is sick.

Oh and picked up a Polytune: $69 bucks new, thought that was a steal.

polytune.jpg

So nice with a quick switch you can go silent and check all of your strings at once.

Also picked up a brass slide as I'd been wanting one for quite a while. Lots of fun!

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just turn this into my thread o' goodies:

The Red Beast

redbeast.jpg

This is the most fantastic delay I've ever used, the modulation is sick.

Been eying one of these noise makers since they first came out. Have the cash, but I am torn between this delay (way fun) and a USB digital/analog converter (not fun, but more useful) so my band can record multitrack style.

Been eying one of these noise makers since they first came out. Have the cash, but I am torn between this delay (way fun) and a USB digital/analog converter (not fun, but more useful) so my band can record multitrack style.

It's well worth it and I can give you a code a mutual friend gave me to get it down to $120 shipped from PGS. It's just so rad. I've spent about 3 hours today just playing with the mod

Archived