Gibson Brands Forums

The Grand Order of Mystical Effects

The RandyMan

Since there are a couple of effects posts going, I was wondering (for the uninitiated like myself), of the effects that you use the most, what order do you chain them in? I've read the suggestions of some professionals but figure that those are only starting points. Brand names are not required--just list the type of effect and what order you put them in to get the sound you're trying to create. I'm sure some of you have some tricks or out-of-the-ordinary routes that work for you. Care to share?

Since there are a couple of effects posts going, I was wondering (for the uninitiated like myself), of the effects that you use the most, what order do you chain them in? I've read the suggestions of some professionals but figure that those are only starting points. Brand names are not required--just list the type of effect and what order you put them in to get the sound you're trying to create. I'm sure some of you have some tricks or out-of-the-ordinary routes that work for you. Care to share?

generally, it goes dirt > modulation

Yes, what FUZZ says......Also, tuner in front.....Wah as well, although folks inset the wah before and sometimes after the dirt.....

Also, study and read up on " bypass VS non-bypass " and/or " True bypass " and "Buffered " pedals....That's a landmine of

confusion, information, stong feelings, mis-information, and so forth....I like at least one "buffered" pedal in a chain..............

You might also study " amp "effect loops".........Another landmine of opinions etc etc...Not all "effect loops" are built the same.....

Dang, same with "digital" vs "analouge" and then again the same with "digital vs analouge vs hybrids."

Everyone knows that FUZZ is good......[flapper]:rolleyes:[crying] :unsure: [woot] ........

Dirty into Clean is rule of thumb, but Distortion after Chorus or Flanger can sound pretty cool. Brash and Washy for lack of better terms (not too cool for covers, but I use it when I'm experimenting a lot). A lot of people say you should have Wah before Overdrive, but I prefer the "Quack" of Overdrive before Wah.

Personally I like to set them up in the order I bought them, makes for some interesting tones.

I tried this recipe the other night:

Beer > bschory > Les Paul > Dyna Comp > Greenhouse Effect No Brainer > H20 Chorus > Fullltone Supa-Trem set at a reasonable speed with a hard stutter sound > cranked Vox

If you sit there strumming the low E quickly and clicking the full/half speed button off you can make some ridiculously terrible dub-step sounding nonsense...

wub wub wub wub wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub wub wub wub wub etc

The beer is the key ingredient to laughing you @$$ off over this. They should add a label, "do not operate heavy effects while under the influence."

I then turned everything but the comp and No Brainer off to properly rock out for a while. It was the only way I could live with myself after that. [biggrin]

^ I require at least a little fuzz to stay alive but when your OD is a KoT and your delay is an El Cap then yeah simple is good.

How are you likin the El Cap dude? Do you loop a lot with it?

Yeah, I break out the muff when I want to get nasty.

and I loop a lot, I've got a recording I can upload to youtube later if you like, mind you, I made it the day I got the El Cap so it has some mistakes.

Archived