Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk owners please give me some input!

jfine

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Nighthawk Custom reissue. I almost got one of the Gibsons back in the '90's, but I didn't have the $$--now here they go and reissue it an an Epiphone, at a really reasonable price yet! Problem is, I haven't been able to find one to try out here in Northern California--nobody's stocking them to my knowledge--and I really don't want to order one without trying one (or several) first. Most of the reviews I've seen are pretty positive--I was really impressed with the original Gibson version back in the day--but several reviewers have mentioned that the bridge pickup appears to be somewhat weak compared to the others. Anybody else have this impression? I'm a Tele player, and I'll probably be using the bridge pickup as a single-coil a lot of the time, both by itself and in combination with the middle pickup, and I'd like them to balance. Of course, the single-coil setting won't be as loud as the humbucker setting--I don't expect it to be; the Gibson wasn't either. Could it be that some of the negative reviews were written by guys who don't know how to adjust their pickup heights? Hopefully there's enough range on the height adjustments to 1) get a reasonable balance between pickups, and 2) to avoid the dreaded string-slap-on-the-bridge-pickup syndrome. I appreciate Seymour Duncan offering replacement pickups for the Nighthawk, but I'll bet they're even harder to find than the guitars are! So how about it, Nighthawk owners? I'd like to get some opinions here, especially if I have to buy one sight-unseen.

Head over to the Epiphone Forum, go to "Guitar and Gear Review" Sticky

near the top.

Inside that thread you'll find 2 reviews of the Epi Nighthawk. Maybe help?

We're collecting reviews as they appear, started with NONE, now have about

40 or so. So far, general commentary has been positive.

AF

Hi and welcome...

I've got one in Trans Black

A few points to consider IMO

It is a great looking guitar Made in Indonesia...wood build and set-up excellent

At that price point it cannot hope to compete with Gibson etc similar guitars

I have enjoyed playing mine but tend to grab a Gibson or Fender first

I considered a complete PU upgrade to include the SD bridge, which looks nice, and a Strat SC and Firebird mini HB

But that would have trebled the initial cost and IMO not worth the effort....

V

:-({|=

The other guitar player, in my band, uses the new Nighthawk Custom reissue.

It's the only guitar he uses, consistantly. He owns an G-400 Custom, and

an '68 Gibson Les Paul Custom, that he's owned since '68. That one, is his

"baby," but...he uses the Nighthawk, these days, for (1) it's tone, (2) playability,

and (3)(much lighter) weight! Runs it through a Vox AC-30. ;>)

CB

I can tell you without reservation, that I love mine. Well made, amazingly versatile and a great bang for the buck!

Do you have a Guitar Center near you? If so, consider having them order it in for you. You'll have to pay for it, but you'll have 30 days to see if you bond with it. If not, you get to return it right at the store and skip all that packing and shipping. It's about as risk-free as you can get with a "mail-order" guitar!

Jim

Sany0018-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have just recently been buying Epiphones in the last three months. I also have four Strats three are single PU and one is HB. One has lace Gold and one hot noisless that I just built. I have two Nighthawks on Fireburst and one trans amber one has a little more volume output than the other they both have better tonal qualities that any of the strats and even my LP studio deluxe Gibson my 99 Gibson LP has equal quality in tone but different. The Nighthawks have more distinct notes that purge thru when chording as some of my guitars muddy up on tone . I still need to play around and get mine the way I want it exactly. The bass strings have a little rattle when finger styling. as u would a bass rarely shows up in sound. For the price I 55 years old and have never purchased a better guitar for 399 . The first Nighthawk I bought is why I have bought four Epiphones since then . I impressed with them just always walked pass them. All the different tonal variations u have are amazing If you buy from MF they usually have all sort of incentives and sales are as mentioned if you have a Guitar Center nearby keeps you from having to maybe ship it back. I happy with mine I really believe you can't find a better guitar for the price even twice the price. As of yet i haven't payed over 1500 for any guitar acousticor otherwise Hope I helped

Archived