Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, does this thing look like a rip? 74 Hummingbird

Josh James

What does "lots of cracks but structurally sound" mean?

It is real hard to say from looking at the pics and description. For all I know, that could be one of the greatest sounding guitars around, but looking at the pics and the year (74) I would be surprised if it was.

I have quite a few cracks in my 63 Epiphone and I had it checked for structural stability and its fine... Alot of cracks are caused by the pickguard and the wood shrinking at different speeds or the top drying out....

Don't like the look of that crack that runs into the sound hole..

I'd say 1400 is reasonable..

Regards

I still don't like those cracks, not for a gigging guitar, which is what you want it for...I have no clue on repair jobs....

There's a couple of Epi "masterbuilts" on the Trading Post forum, and I'm sure you could really bump down the prices....

But, no, they aren't Gibbies or Martins or Taylors......The Epis can be fine, but, not compared to a real Gibby........................

I'd keep the LP and talk down in price one of the Trading Post Epis...........

Glad to read you got your eyes and hands on it, and played it. That's especially important with Norlin era acoustics.

From the website: "There are several cracks but the guitar is structurally sound." - I'd rather read about several cracks that have been cleated and repaired, and are stable. If you're going to be hauling it around to gigs, I'd be a bit concerned about exposing the cracks to the temperature and humidity changes encountered when gigging.

If that doesn't concern you, as has been said, if you like the way it plays and sounds - make an offer.

I think the other guys hit it.

Hauling to gigs is always up to question. A '74 may or may not have been built as well as pre-Norlin instruments, nor with quality of woods - although by 1960 one might question quality of wood of a lot of guitars.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Also, for a few more bucks, you could get a new Hummingbird Artist...

m

Keep your Les Paul...............

Run from this guitar....The top is the sound board....it vibrates....Flying on a plane with cracked skin isn't recommended........

It would cost a lot to repair it as it is now.....Keep your Les Paul............This guitar would look nice hanging on a wall................

Save up, buy a new Gibby acoustic.................

Archived