Gibson Brands Forums

Is my SG good?

grandmaster

Yeah, Chinese girlfriends seem to have "quality control" issues.......[biggrin]:rolleyes:[sneaky][blush] ....

( The build quality will be generally the same....S.G.s are a very basic design, ie, not much to change or screw up )....

Weren't they initially having problems with the necks on the G400s twisting, or something like that?

Naw, Matty ...

You're thinking of those Indonesian Squire Strats:

RightAngleStrat.jpg

Seriously, Grand ... if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck ... chances are is a good duck. Enjoy your new axe!

Jim

Weren't they initially having problems with the necks on the G400s twisting, or something like that?

Oh, you must be referring to the signature " Bend It Like Beckham " models......Only sold to soccers.....[flapper][scared] :unsure: [sneaky] ...

Well I have a MIK g400 and it is a great guitar, the action is spot on, and the whole thing vibrates in my hand like its alive, the neck is chunkier than my MIC Les paul standard, but the pickups were prone to squeeling so i replaced them.

My understanding is that the MIK were not quite the same specs as MIC, but I don't have one. The MIK were not under direct Gibson/Epi management as I understand it, but the MIC guitars are.

But...

If the guitar feels right and it's neither falling apart nor having problems with the electronics, that's the important thing, IMHO. Epi1 Jim R. said they started using better quality pots and switches the past cupla years on the MIC versions.

BTW, Korean is much, much easier to read than Chinese. Hangul is phonetic and was designed some 500 years ago to teach illiterate folks how to read in two weeks or less.

m

The newer MiK are pretty much the same as the MiC SGs. The early Korean ones, however, are quite different. They have deeper cutaways and a longer neck mount on the body (I can't think of a better way to put it), very much like a Gibson SG. The ones I have seen up on ebay also do not seem to have veneer as the multi piece body can be seen clearly. They can be identified by the fact that they have dot inlays on the neck. There's actually one on Ebay right now. I'd love to find one of these at a good price.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2310c40c0e

1.jpg

11.jpg10.jpg

Archived