Gibson Brands Forums

Wish Me Luck

DanvillRob

I'm heading out to judge a Pug Specialty today.

It's the largest group of Pugs I've got to judge, but what makes it more difficult is that I know all the people and most of the dogs already.... (@ 68 Pugs)

The show is right here in Pleasanton, CA.

The specialty is hosted by the Northern California Pug Club, (of which I'm a member).

I am never this nervous even when playing solo in front of people.

I'm judging the National Pug Specialty in Australia in April...I'm not nearly as nervous about doing that, (@ 150 Pugs there!)

UGH!

I'm heading out to judge a Pug Specialty today.

It's the largest group of Pugs I've got to judge, but what makes it more difficult is that I know all the people and most of the dogs already.... (@ 68 Pugs)

The show is right here in Pleasanton, CA.

The specialty is hosted by the Northern California Pug Club, (of which I'm a member).

I am never this nervous even when playing solo in front of people.

I'm judging the National Pug Specialty in Australia in April...I'm not nearly as nervous about doing that, (@ 150 Pugs there!)

UGH!

If you know them all just get them to bribe you with guitar stuff. Never waste an opportunity.

Used to handle my own pug in the show ring a few years back. And although I spent $1600 on her and both of her parents were champions, we never got more than a few ribbons. Not a single point! Probably more my fault than hers. Lots of fun though. Great people and great memories! Still have the pug. Retired now and very spoiled ;)

If you know them all just get them to bribe you with guitar stuff. Never waste an opportunity.

Done..... very sore... I guess 3-1/2 hours of bending, squatting, and leaning back is harder on the ol' bod that I remembered!

No bribes with guitar stuff....but in the dog world I am known as "The Music Guy".

During the dog show we put on, I wear a ribbon that says that!

I love pugs. Have a blast judging!! Sounds like fun.

I used to have two pugs:

TwoToosfullscreen.jpg

They ARE a great breed of dog, aren't they?

However, they have to fit your lifestyle.... I you like to hunt....NOT the dog for you.... if you like a dog to run with you...NOT the right dog for you.... However, if you like to sit on the couch and read or watch TV.... PERFECT dog for you!

Used to handle my own pug in the show ring a few years back. And although I spent $1600 on her and both of her parents were champions, we never got more than a few ribbons. Not a single point! Probably more my fault than hers. Lots of fun though. Great people and great memories! Still have the pug. Retired now and very spoiled ;)

Tell me about your Pug.... who's the breeder?

I have 10 Pugs who live with me, (not counting the 6-week-old puppy). All 10 are Champions. Two are Grand Champions, (they started the Grand Champion program after 8 had already retired).

I am currently showing GCH Storybook's Legacy To Cherish At Coral Bay. She's a multi-Group winning dog, but no Best In Show Yet, (I've been showing for over 16 years and have never won a Best In Show).

However, if you like to sit on the couch and read or watch TV.... PERFECT dog for you!

Yes. So true.! I would snuggle with my pug and pet her while watching TV. I am pretty sedentary, so pugs are a perfect match for me. She loved to sit with me just about all the time. Dig this:

untitled.jpg

Tell me about your Pug.... who's the breeder?

I have 10 Pugs who live with me, (not counting the 6-week-old puppy). All 10 are Champions. Two are Grand Champions, (they started the Grand Champion program after 8 had already retired).

I am currently showing GCH Storybook's Legacy To Cherish At Coral Bay. She's a multi-Group winning dog, but no Best In Show Yet, (I've been showing for over 16 years and have never won a Best In Show).

That is a HERD right there, even if they are mini munchkin size.

So who won the show? You a breeder?

The dog thing here is way over my head, but I find it interesting that so many of "us" are multidimensional people.

m

Milo, it's pretty simple.... think of a dog show as cattlemen gathering to determine the best breeding stock for their herds.... every dog has a "standard' and the shows are to determine which dog is closest to it's standard. That way Dalmations continue to have "spots", Border Terriers continue to move sheep by acting like coyotes, etc...etc....etc.....

That is a HERD right there, even if they are mini munchkin size.

So who won the show? You a breeder?

The show I judged was won by a dog named "Rufus"...he just happens to be the #1 Pug in the country. I've judged him before, and I really like him.

But there was also a Winners Dog; Winners *****; Best Opposite Sex; Select Dog; Select ***** & 4 Awards Of Merit.

This is a pic of Rufus, but wasn't taken this weekend. This photo was taken last February in Atlanta.

BISS_Atlanta_Pug_Club.jpg

Interesting...

Do dog standards change as I've seen beef cattle "standard for the breed" change over the past 55 years?

m

Yes...absoultely.... the standard for Pugs changed just recently because someone started showing one that was "brindle"... (suspect the dog had a French Bulldog in it's background).

The new standard says that any color besides Fawn and black shall be disqualified. I didn't agree, but the Parent Club changed it anyway.

I think the standard can't change more often than once every 5 years..... most don't change for decades.

Archived