Gibson Brands Forums

Do Modifications Affect Resale Value???

Chas63

I started another thread earlier today about possibly replacing the humbucker bridge pickup on my G-400 1966 Reissue with a single coil pickup. Then I started wondering how modifications might affect the resale value of the guitar.

While I don't plan to sell or trade my G-400 in the near future, I don't know what I may want to do in another year or two. This got me to thinking about how modifications (such as pickup replacement) would affect the resale value of the guitar. I think that if I were thinking of buying a used guitar, I would prefer that it be as close to factory original condition as possible. Therefore, if someone had replaced the pickups or some other part of the guitar, that might lower the value of the guitar (in my eyes) rather than enhance it.

What do you guys think? How do modifications affect the amount that YOU would be willing to pay for a used guitar?

Thanks,

Chas

If you put 1968 PAF T-tops in it I would give you $10 less.

Seriously, (and generally speaking) if you really improve it then you are simply not likely to get the improvement money out of it.

If you actually crap it up it will drop resale value.

Simply stated .... keep the original parts. You can always put them back on or in.

Pots, caps, jacks and switches do not enter into the equation.

Willy

One of the things that I look for when considering a modded guitar is, are the mods reversible? And are the the original parts available with the guitar. I would say that as long as you hang on to the replaced part, to sell with the guitar, and don't do anything that can't be changed back, you're fine. Just don't expect to recoup all of your costs when you go to sell. As we've seen recently, some figure they deserve every penny they invest. As for your G400, how about trying a split coil pickup?

A used guitar will never be worth what you bought it for new.

Good improvements (standard electronic upgrades, better nuts, bridges, appropriate bigsby etc) will probably sell for more than a standard used but not what you put in it.

In short, if you buy a dot for £400 and put a £150 Bigsby on it, you are unlikely to get £550 for it used but it will sell for more than a non modified guitar.

All of the above....................[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

I'm modding an SG I just got already modded..........I'm not planning on selling it, but the mods I'm doing to it

will make the SG more valuable, even at resale upon my death.........There are exceptions..............................

But, yeah, keep ALL original parts, if you want to sell a guitar................

To me, it all depends on whether or not the potential buyer is interested in the mods you have done. I bought my SG used last year and it had Seymour Duncan pups that were very interesting to me so I did pay a bit of a premium for her. Plus, the guitar came with a hard case and was in perfect condition. If the guitar happened to have EMG active pups installed instead, it would not have interested me at all unless I could have picked it up for a bargain price.

So basically, if you ever intend on selling a guitar, and at least getting a decent price for it, do not do anything to it that cannot be undone and always keep the original parts if you change something. If you decide to do some freaky paint job on it, or 'relic' it, don't expect to be rewarded with a profit on the resale. If you change the pups or other hardware, don't expect to make back all that you spent on it and be ready to put the original parts back on and maybe sell the hardware separately or install it on another guitar.

While you may have a chance of finding someone who is interested in the upgrades you make, don't count on making a profit or even breaking even.

Like Charlie Brown said it depends on whether the guitar is vintage or a very limited production one.I doubt very much that down the road any of the average mass produced guitars are going to soar in value like a '58 Les Paul or a '58 Mary Kay Strat.Having said that the only way a mod should have a detrimental effect on the value is if you replaced original pots,caps or other hardware with inferior substitutes.If you were to replace the hardware and electronics on a G-400 Epi for instance with all CTS electrical components and Seymour Duncan pups along with a Badass bridge assembly etc.,it is quite conceiveable that the value would go up-but you still hang on to the original parts.

Archived