Gibson Brands Forums

Somebody Loan Me A Dime

SGSpecialguy

Thanks for that... [thumbup]

Man, has it been that long? I can remember listening and looking at that album cover. I have an ol' pic of me looking very much the same while fishing in a similar setting. Such a relaxing thing to do....Long ago and faraway....before the pressures of life come resting on your shoulders... #-o

after I posted this last night, I was on an Allman Brothers/Duane Allman kick and I got on Youtube, was watching some old concert footage with him and Dickie Betts,, man,, some GREAT stuff !! That Live at Fillmore East was and still is one of my ALL time favorite records ever !! I was watching a concert where Dickie was playing an SG,, man that sounded sweet !!! I also found an interview of Dickie (recent) looked like they were in a hotel room or something, Dickie seems like such a "burn out" its been a long road for those boys !!! I then saw some recent footage of Dickie playing live with his Gold Top,, still sounds pretty sweet !! and Dickie must be pushing 68 yrs old or so,,, those guys certainly have stood the test of time and are among my personal all time favorites !!

Great song! I'm surprised that it's remained so relatively obscure. I hadn't ever heard this song until the mid 90s when a band I was in played it sometimes. But even then I never heard the "real" song until a few years later.

Saw Boz on HDTV a couple of years ago. He and his band were better than ever. Very jazzy. His main guitarist was playing a 335, and I've been trying to capture that tone ever since.

When he did this tune, I remembered thinking that there aren't any phone booths around anymore, and if there were, local calls would probably be a dollar.

Nice find, SG.

This is one of the most tasteful threads I've seen here.

Excellent work from everyone. Is that a Hammond C3 doing the intro on the first clip? Wonderful tones from all concerned.

And thanks, DMichaelG, for posting the Fenton Robinson clip. That was totally new to me. I must check out more of his stuff.

Thanks, people!

P.

Pippy, It is one of the better threads isn't it?

Yeah , I like Fenton's as well, sounds BBish,

I guess, for want of a better descriptor.

BTW, here's the lineup on Fenton's version in the video:

AND I believe it is Barry Beckett on organ with Boz. Yep,

checked it on ALL Music, its Becket along with the Muscle

Shoals horns. Jann Weiner (Rolling Stone owner) as

producer.

Archived