Gibson Brands Forums

Amp to go with my SG?

grandmaster

I'm getting myself a new amp soon, one that hopefully has a good but reasonable dirty sound, but can also be nice and clean. I'm aiming for around 150 - 300 pounds (240 - 480 dollars) any suggestions? :)

If you need something for at home I would suggest the Marshall Class5 Custom 5 watt(class A) tube amp. Don't let the 5 watts fool you, it kicks ***. Nice clean tone and will break up nicely when dimed.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-class5-custom-5w-1x10-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h77289000001000

To my ears Marshall amps were made for SGs.Ihave 3 Marshalls and my SG just screams through them or if I don't overdrive them the SG rings like a bell.With just a touch of overdrive and the tone rolled back to 0 at the bridge pickup you can get the sweetest "woman tone" going.Any master volume Marshall such as the 2204 and 4210 would give you tonal bliss.If Marshall's price is a bit out of your reach look at one of the Vox or Marshall Hybrid modelling amps.These amps have a 12AX7 tube in their power amp and preamp respectively and that gives then incredibly realistic amp models and their effects are second to none.

I think VOX makes some great amps. I would check them out.

If you like Fender amps, you should check out the Super Champ XD. I have one and I love it. It's 15 watts and has 3 tubes in it. It has some great amp models on it, and some great FX. It also sounds great clean. And it will get pretty loud for its size.

They are $299 brand new. But you can find them used on ebay for less.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Super-Champ-XD-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104494281-i1371514.gc

p46833.jpg

Dont forget to check out the newer Fender "Mustang" series! Rave reviews,

and priced right, as well.

If you want all tube Fender amps, the Blues Jr. and Pro Jr. are great options,

as well. Both are 15 (all tube) watts, but the Pro Jr. has only a volume and

tone control, with a 10" speaker. Blissful tone, though!

The Blues Jr. has master volume, volume, mid, bass, treble,

"Fat" (mild overdrive) button, or via footswitch, and reverb. Plus,

a 12" speaker. Awesome little amp!

The Previously mentioned Vox, Marshall, and Roland Cube series are also great!

Good hunting!

CB

Been looking at all these suggestions, and listened to a few on you tube and they sound awesome, but I also did come across Fender Champ 25SE for £180, does anyone know if these are any good? I searched all corners of the internet and found no helpful reviews. [thumbdn]

This looks pretty good:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub12r.htm

12" Celestion speaker, 1W or 15W inputs, FX loop, volume, gain, treble, middle, bass and reverb knobs- all for just £228.77 from Thomann. I might try and find one to try out- Laney seem to be stocked at a lot of mom and pop shops in the UK.

I'm also GASing for the Fender Blues Junior III, the Marshall Class 5 and the Jet City 2112RC.

I think VOX makes some great amps. I would check them out.

If you like Fender amps, you should check out the Super Champ XD. I have one and I love it. It's 15 watts and has 3 tubes in it. It has some great amp models on it, and some great FX. It also sounds great clean. And it will get pretty loud for its size.

They are $299 brand new. But you can find them used on ebay for less.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Super-Champ-XD-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104494281-i1371514.gc

p46833.jpg

Super Champ XD user here too. Love it, first tube amp and found the difference between that and my previous combos to be like night and day

Archived