Gibson Brands Forums

1942 LG-1

jt

Here is one of my favorite guitars: my 1942 LG-1. It's also of my favorite vintage genre: very rare (about 100 -- exact count to be in my Banner book -- of these X-braced beauties were made before they were discontinued, only to re-emerge about a decade later in simpler, ladder braced form), not very desirable, and quite inexpensive.

As the pics reveal, it's got all the hallmarks of the first year, Banner models: fancy rosette, multiple purflings front and back, and an ebony back strip. The Honduras mahogany on top, back, sides, and neck is really beautiful. I also like this finish color. To my eyes, it's one of Gibson's most beautiful guitars.

I got this guitar from the original owner's family. FON # is 7706H-25 and it shipped June 23, 1943 to the Walter D. Moses store in Richmond, VA. I call it a 1942 because it has the hallmarks of the 1942 guitars and the FON was likely stamped on the neckblock that year. But, with wartime being what it was, Gibson couldn't ship it until the middle of the next year.

How does it sound? Crisp and clear with great sustain. Amazingly, I don't have a video of me playing it. I'll try to rectify that tomorrow.

So, some pics:

2973913060033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

2619575060033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

2640593660033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

2298140610033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

And, the beautifully scalloped, X-bracing:

2946333510033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is one of my favorite guitars: my 1942 LG-1.

To my eyes, it's one of Gibson's most beautiful guitars.

Amazingly, I don't have a video of me playing it. I'll try to rectify that tomorrow.

So, some pics:

2298140610033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

"Amazingly, I don't have a video of me playing it." -- Haha! That IS amazing, John! [biggrin]

It's a very pretty little guitar.

I particularly like those black tuner buttons, tres cool!

Fred

John,

Very, very nice guitar. I love the X-ray!

I note that the bridgeplate is a little askew. I've seen several Gibsons where the bridgeplate is not fitted particularly well, in some case where the pins almost miss the plate completely. You don't usually see this kind of stuff unless you poke around the insides with a mirror, as most of us don't have access to an x-ray machine.

I'm scratching my head over that, since you would think that the bridgeplate would have been cut from a template, and that the top braces were installed using a positioning jig, which would seem to make it difficult to mess up. I'm assuming that after the top x-brace is glued in place, the plate was pretty much shoved up against them and glued down

Have you noticed this, and if so, what do you think is going on? Is it just a fact of life on a production line?

I note that the bridgeplate is a little askew. ... Have you noticed this, and if so, what do you think is going on? Is it just a fact of life on a production line?

Nick,

I've now X-rayed somewhere between 60 and 70 historically significant instruments, including Orville's hand-carved, pre Gibson Co. guitar, Martins from the 1830s forward, and a variety of Larson made instruments. Martin bridgeplates are always perfectly installed, Gibsons are often a bit askew, and Larsons sometimes aren't even close. Just maker culture, I think.

Now, if I were to rank the tone of the guitars of these 3 makers in order of my personal preference, it would be Larson, Gibson, Martin. Hmm. Those sloppily installed bridgeplates my enhance tone! :)

John,

Very, very nice guitar. I love the X-ray!

I note that the bridgeplate is a little askew. I've seen several Gibsons where the bridgeplate is not fitted particularly well, in some case where the pins almost miss the plate completely. You don't usually see this kind of stuff unless you poke around the insides with a mirror, as most of us don't have access to an x-ray machine.

I'm scratching my head over that, since you would think that the bridgeplate would have been cut from a template, and that the top braces were installed using a positioning jig, which would seem to make it difficult to mess up. I'm assuming that after the top x-brace is glued in place, the plate was pretty much shoved up against them and glued down

Have you noticed this, and if so, what do you think is going on? Is it just a fact of life on a production line?

Maybe the bridge plate was oversized or off centered to prevent the Mohagany Top from Bowing or pulling up do to the pins ... Just guessing here...

Either way... A really Nice LG1... I bet it sounds well too...

Maybe the bridge plate was oversized or off centered to prevent the Mohagany Top from Bowing or pulling up do to the pins ... Just guessing here...

Either way... A really Nice LG1... I bet it sounds well too...

The bridgeplate is not oversized, just sloppily installed. As I posted earlier, I've seen this (courtesy of X-rays) on a lot of Gibsons.

Thanks for the kind words about the guitar. I'll try to get around to posting some clips of it.

jt,

It is unusual for these to have mahogany tops, or was it the norm?

Are thee fabric support patches on the sides? What does your research reveal about when Gibson started and stopped using them?

THANKS for the photos and x-rays!

Beautiful instrument.

Red 333

It is unusual for these to have mahogany tops, or was it the norm?

Are thee fabric support patches on the sides? What does your research reveal about when Gibson started and stopped using them?

THANKS for the photos and x-rays!

Beautiful instrument.

Red,

Thanks for the kind words. Now, for some answers:

Mahogany top. All LG-1s had mahogany tops. From 1942-45, the LGs had identical features (multiple purflings, fancy rosettes, X-braced) except that the LG-1 had a mahogany top, the LG-2 had a sunburst spruce top, and the LG-3 had a natural spruce top. These first year LG-1s were only produced for a year (I've got the exact dates somewhere) and then disappeared until reintroduced as a ladder braced guitar in 1947. Until my discovery of this guitar, conventional wisdom (as in Gruhn’s Guide the Fab Flattops book) was that LG-1s didn't exist pre-1947. I actually thought that this was an LG-3 when I bought it. But, then, I spent a few days at Gibson in Nashville, photographed 4,400 pages of the shipping ledgers (from 1935 through 1946) and discovered LG-1s. Moreover, I discovered exactly when and to where my LG-1 shipped (mine was 1 of teh 2 LG-1s that shipped to WD Moses -- see bottom of pic):

2189429710033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

(I've now got precise counts of all WWII Gibsons and I've been able to track at least 1 guitar for each war year from Kalamazoo to the dealer.)

These are really rare guitars (as rare as original AJs) and my co-author and I have only discovered one other one.

Cloth strips. Yep, it’s got the strips. I’ve forgotten when Gibson ceased using the cloth strips, but will check my notes.

Thanks for the interest!

Archived