Gibson Brands Forums

I had an unusally "bad" evening, at a Jam, last night!

charlie brown

CB,

Sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice here. I doubt if there was one single contributor but most likely a little bit of everything. One thing I do before a gig is just test my setup. Guitars, jacks, volume controls, pedals, cables etc... Just to make sure they are working. I also use the exact same setup cable for cable, pedal for pedal when I set up live. I try not to spend much time playing through my rig before the gig, especially at any volume as this tends to get your ear tuned into that sound and also prematurely begins ear fatigue.

When I get to the gig and (if possible) I try to play a little ( or as much as possible) at volume there and make that the real "First Sound of my Rig" for the day. This way my ear doesn't have as much reference to what it sounded like at home or practice space and adjusts to the newer environment easier. I know I'm not telling you anything new about how different a room can make your rig ( and band stage mix) sound. My suggestion is to keep your point of reference clear so you adapt to the room your playing in quicker. Obviously if you are using a tube amp get it warmed up the best you can. I turn mine on completely ( not just stand-by ) just to get the tubes cooking a little quicker.

If you really want a more consistent sound and less ear fatigue regardless of where you play I would highly recommend investing in an "In Ear" monitoring solution. They really do keep things consistent and definitely reduce ear fatigue....

Hope this helps.....

Andy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are playing in the same place again bring batteries with you, that way you can try them and see if the problem is with the electrical installation of the place. Happened to me at a place we played in: none of the pedals worked, and the other guy's line 6 didn't even turn on :(

Turns put they had put lights and a projection screen in there after our sound test (when everything worked great) and it was all on the same grid with the AC system and everything else. We had to plug our guitars into the PA and change the set to songs that required only clean sounds. :S

We actually bring big, ugly, orange extension chords for when the venue doesn't believe in power utilization. we'll run them from whereever we need to to get nice constant power. Even if it means coming off a light standard in the parking lot (assuming it has an outlet at the base).

Sound is such a sensitive thing. It changes with location, building construction, amount of people..the variable's are stacked against us. As far as technical difficulties go, I always make sure I have a backup amp with decent on-board factory overdrive/distortion with switchable channels, just in case of a pedalboard issue. If I need to go barebones, I can. The evil spirits of rock n' roll hate invaded your rig. We shall now pray for cleansing.

Sound is such a sensitive thing. It changes with location, building construction, amount of people..the variable's are stacked against us. As far as technical difficulties go, I always make sure I have a backup amp with decent on-board factory overdrive/distortion with switchable channels, just in case of a pedalboard issue. If I need to go barebones, I can. The evil spirits of rock n' roll hate invaded your rig. We shall now pray for cleansing.

Man, I Hear That! It sure seems like it, at times... [cursing][unsure][crying]

But, I love it, too much, to let those evil hate spirits "win."

CB

We actually bring big, ugly, orange extension chords for when the venue doesn't believe in power utilization. we'll run them from whereever we need to to get nice constant power. Even if it means coming off a light standard in the parking lot (assuming it has an outlet at the base).

After that horror gig that's what we do now too.

Yeah, I have those big Orange or Yellow cords, in the trunk of my car, for just such emergencies.

This last "nightmare," wasn't my call/gig. So, I was pretty much "stuck," between the proverbial

"rock & a hard place." C'est la Vie! But, those cords have come in, quite handy, a few times,

in the past. [thumbup]

CB

Yeah, they did...they always do, seemingly. [biggrin] I just want

things to go as smoothly, and "right" as possible. So, when they

don't, I try to find out why, and "try" to fix it..ya know? :rolleyes:

CB

Oh yeah, I'm the same way. can't stand it when things go wrong, and when they're avoidable it's even worse. But it is great that the audience didn't pick up on it.

Could be a simple thing like how old are your strings

Not this time...I always keep decent, and fairly fresh strings, on

my guitars. Especially, the gigging ones. After all the input I've

recieved here, and thinking back on it, "Phasing" seems like it might

be the more obvious problem. But, who knows?! [confused][tongue]

CB

Voltage?

110volts (US) is the standard, but voltages can vary from 109v - almost 130v, from location to location. Most electrical appliances built for use in the US are built with this variation in mind. Also, you might sharing that voltage with heavy hitters of the appliance world, especially if you are in a restaurant or tavern. Think refrigerators, freezers, cooler, deep fat fryers, cooking griddles, neon signs and the like. Could be the stomp boxes just reacted badly to a different voltage? Did the problem abate after you powered up at home again?

I'm just grasping at straws here.

Voltage?

110volts (US) is the standard, but voltages can vary from 109v - almost 130v, from location to location. Most electrical appliances built for use in the US are built with this variation in mind. Also, you might sharing that voltage with heavy hitters of the appliance world, especially if you are in a restaurant or tavern. Think refrigerators, freezers, cooler, deep fat fryers, cooking griddles, neon signs and the like. Could be the stomp boxes just reacted badly to a different voltage? Did the problem abate after you powered up at home again?

I'm just grasping at straws here.

Thanks, Tommy, for your "grasping." (Smile) I'm doing that, as well. Just went over my entire rig,

again...and, the pedals are working "as they should" here, at the house, again. BUT...now, I discovered,

that with my Blues Jr...."Houston, we May have a Problem!?" I powered it up, all's well. Plugged

everything in, seems ok. Cranked the volume, up to the exact settings used, on Friday night, and

the volume is 1/2 or less, what it should be...and there's an odd sag and crackling, now...when I

hit certain lower frequency notes...that wasn't there at my last "test" prior to the gig. Plus,

it's nowhere near as "clean" sounding, anymore. Seems like the "fat" switch is on, even when it's

not! Kind of a low-grade "fizz" tone. Now, IF all of this happened AT the gig, but was intermittent,

and so not noticable, all the time, it might explain a LOT, both with the "pedal problem" (which may

actually have been the amp reacting badly, instead), and the fact that my P-90 (fatter sounding) pickups,

didn't have the "cut" that even they, usually have, at those same settings? ARRRGGGG!!!

The reason, I question the "room," as the problem, is that no one else, had any of these problems.

Only ME [blush](as usual)...LOL Story of my life, all too often. [cursing][tongue]

So, it's off to Wichita, tomorrow, to see what my favorite Amp Tech, thinks/says. :unsure: [crying]

CB

Just FYI (even though it sounds like you may have found the culprit), if you choose to replace your pedal power supply, don't get a Dunlop DC Brick like what was recommended. They are a daisy chain in a box and they have lower mA output than a onespot. Basically, they have no advantage over your regular daisy chain.

You should check out isolated power supplies like the Voodoo Labs Iso 5 or Pedal Power 2+ depending on how many pedals you have. These filter the power and each output is isolated so you don't get ground loops, etc. You'll get less noise and if there's a surge or something your pedals will be protected.

Just throwin that out there so you don't waste your money on a DC Brick. For what it's worth I use a regular old onespot. It works fine most of the time but if there's bad power it can get very noisey.

I hope you get that problem with your amp sorted out.

Thanks, Dub...Good to know! But, I'm not going to "buy" any power supply boxes, until/unless it's

proven, beyond doubt, that IT is the culprit. So, far...that has not been proven.

I think, at this point, it was/is...something going on, with my amp. Maybe, it

didn't show up, in my "tests" because, like when you take a car, to the shop, it

(often) won't DO what it does, that you're complaining about, in any other situation.

LOL "Murphy's Law," etc. It's just "annoying," you know?! But, I have other amps,

I can use, while it's in the shop, if need be. So, time will tell, I guess? [tongue]

CB

Yeah I don't think that would be the culprit. I just read on the first page that someone recommended a DC Brick over your daisy chain and wanted to point out that the DC Brick is a regular daisy chain in a nice looking box.

Murphy's law is the worst. Very annoying.

I dunno jack about amps, but do you think one of your tubes may have come loose when you were moving it in your car or something?

I totally get the frustration and such. It sucks to have a bad night (which happens), but when you know it is SOMETHING and don't know the cause, you want to know.

I read you have found possibly a bad tube? THAT sounds like your culprit right there. I have had that happen, and sometimes when a tube goes out it only acts up after being fully warmed up and fully pushed, and get back to appearing to be fine. No pre-check can get those out it seems.

I hear a LOT of good advise and good ideas here in this thread (and the others relating to this), and the hard part is while they may all be possibilities, there are some things that you can't know or check until the time it happens again. But knowing possibilities, gives you a good heads up to be able to try something and fix it when and if it happens again.

Yeah I don't think that would be the culprit. I just read on the first page that someone recommended a DC Brick over your daisy chain and wanted to point out that the DC Brick is a regular daisy chain in a nice looking box.

Murphy's law is the worst. Very annoying.

I dunno jack about amps, but do you think one of your tubes may have come loose when you were moving it in your car or something?

Well, of course, that's always a possibility. However, I checked all the tubes, here a the house,

and they're all "secure," and glowing well. I don't have a tube tester, other than "trial and error," so, it may

BE a bad tube, or tubes? At this point, I'll let someone I trust, and who knows what they're doing,

check it out. It's a pain, to drive 100 miles, just to do that, but...it will be worth it, if he

can fix whatever's going on. If not..."New Amp" time. LOL

The other thing is, it's not consistent. Or, wasn't, anyway. Maybe, it's deteriorated to a point

now, that it's (just now) become more noticeable? Who knows? All I know, for sure, is that my little

1982 Fender Japan, "Sidekick" 35R Solid State amp, gives me no trouble, and hasn't, for 30 years,

and (right now, anyway) it kick's this "Blues Jr.'s" butt! LOL (That wasn't always, the case!) So...???

CB

Well, of course, that's always a possibility. However, I checked all the tubes, here a the house,

and they're all "secure," and glowing well. I don't have a tube tester, other than "trial and error," so, it may

BE a bad tube, or tubes? At this point, I'll let someone I trust, and who knows what they're doing,

check it out. It's a pain, to drive 100 miles, just to do that, but...it will be worth it, if he

can fix whatever's going on. If not..."New Amp" time. LOL

The other thing is, it's not consistent. Or, wasn't, anyway. Maybe, it's deteriorated to a point

now, that it's (just now) become more noticeable? Who knows? All I know, for sure, is that my little

1982 Fender Japan, "Sidekick" 35R Solid State amp, gives me no trouble, and hasn't, for 30 years,

and (right now, anyway) it kick's this "Blues Jr.'s" butt! LOL (That wasn't always, the case!) So...???

CB

Actually, you don't actually NEED to take your amp all that way (while it is a good idea to have a guy who is GOOD and and go through your amps).

The BJ takes the EL-84 and also requires no biasing. So, you can put any pair in and they will work without having to bias.

IF you want to see if you can replicate the problem, you can try leaving your amp on for a long time, and then push it. (sounds like you already heard the issue at home though).

And besides, even if you don't haul a spare amp with you, having spare tubes is ALWAYS a good idea.

Tubes are cool, Solid State is reliable. There's a reason I run solid state at gigs, the same reason I bring extension chords and more than one guitar.

The same thing that happened to you, C.B., happened to the guitarist in the band that played at my local watering hole this last Halloween weekend. Her amp just crapped out, no volume, no gain. So it was my Solid State stuff to the rescue. It was the first time I'd heard my amp from the audiences perspective, I just don't get the romance with Tubes. At least not the "Tube for Tube's Sake" attitude, seems like it should be "Tone for Tones Sake", but who am I top challenge conventional wisdom? [biggrin]

Side Note, I didn't know the shortcoming of the DC brick, I thought it was isolated like the Voodoo Labs power supply. Anyway, personal experience with the Gator Bus-8 says it's better than a one spot. Sag steals tone worse than cheap cables.

Actually, you don't actually NEED to take your amp all that way (while it is a good idea to have a guy who is GOOD and and go through your amps).

The BJ takes the EL-84 and also requires no biasing. So, you can put any pair in and they will work without having to bias.

IF you want to see if you can replicate the problem, you can try leaving your amp on for a long time, and then push it. (sounds like you already heard the issue at home though).

And besides, even if you don't haul a spare amp with you, having spare tubes is ALWAYS a good idea.

Oh, I know...I just prefer to do that, because I know that, while he's at it, he'll (rountinely) check

EVERYthing! Just to be sure! You know? And, I DO have an extra set of tubes, even extra 12AX-7's

beyond that...just in case. I tried changing them, but it didn't seem to make any appreciable difference,

so...hence, the trip to Wichita! Also, like you, I do (usually) take a spare amp (solid state), to gigs.

This time, however, being the nature of this particular "Jam," I wasn't sure, until I got there, that I'd

even "need" an amp, or might just use one there, already. So, it was kind of a "comedy of errors,"

I guess...or, that rat "Murphy" (Murphey's Law) showing up, again. ???

To be honest, nowadays, I don't have any problem, with Solid State, or (especially) "hybrid" amps!

They've made remarkable advances...and, besides, your average (somewhat drunken) dancer wouldn't know,

or care, if you use a tube or SS amp![tongue] LOL I still love "tube" amps, as always...but, I'm not,

at all, opposed to using SS for any gig!

CB

Archived