Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson VS Heritage Guitars

Steven Tari

Since starting on getting my new guitar built and doing a lot of researching. I've come across a lot of material on the Heritage Guitars. I was surprised on just what was being said and how many of the old timers are still getting their guitars from the Kalamazoo plant and what they are saying about them. Do you own one or have you played one? What is your opinion of the Heritage compared to the Gibson. On playing ability, Looks and price. The factory in Kalamazoo is the place all the original Gibson's were put out just like they were before and it looks like the same way. Whats your opinion?

Prior to purchasing my GMP Pawnshop Deluxe last March, I was looking at and playing a number of different brands (PRS, Heritage, Gibson R9).

Of the four brands, the Heritage's I played felt a bit crude and un-finished [confused] .... So that one was immediately out of the race.

The PRS to me looked like a high priced pole dancer.... It felt cold and impersonal [confused]... So my wallet shut on that one

The 2007 Gibby R9 I was coveting, I was about two days from pulling the trigger ($4700). Definitely a great playing and sounding guitar.... I didn't think I could find anything that would change my mind but......

I received a call from an old pal that used to do all my graphics on my Moser Guitars back in the 80's (Dan Lawrence) and he told me that he acquired the recently debunked GMP Guitar Company, and he just wanted me to come down and try a few. So I went to GMP and we talked for awhile about the old times, then he took me to his office and handed me a PawnShop Deluxe, and I could not believe my hands [thumbup]..... and the guitar was attractive like the pretty girl that didn't need make-up [thumbup] Anywhoo, I was apprehensive because boutique guitars usually run about $5k, especially the quality that GMP is putting out, and my feelings were if the GMP was $5k, the choice would be the Gibby R9 for the same price.

However when he told me $2600 out the door with a hardshell case, I couldn't open my wallet fast enough [biggrin]

Prior to purchasing my GMP Pawnshop Deluxe last March, I was looking at and playing a number of different brands (PRS, Heritage, Gibson R9).

Of the four brands, the Heritage's I played felt a bit crude and un-finished [confused] .... So that one was immediately out of the race.

The PRS to me looked like a high priced pole dancer.... It felt cold and impersonal [confused]... So my wallet shut on that one

The 2007 Gibby R9 I was coveting, I was about two days from pulling the trigger ($4700). Definitely a great playing and sounding guitar.... I didn't think I could find anything that would change my mind but......

I received a call from an old pal that used to do all my graphics on my Moser Guitars back in the 80's (Dan Lawrence) and he told me that he acquired the recently debunked GMP Guitar Company, and he just wanted me to come down and try a few. So I went to GMP and we talked for awhile about the old times, then he took me to his office and handed me a PawnShop Deluxe, and I could not believe my hands [thumbup]..... and the guitar was attractive like the pretty girl that didn't need make-up [thumbup] Anywhoo, I was apprehensive because boutique guitars usually run about $5k, especially the quality that GMP is putting out, and my feelings were if the GMP was $5k, the choice would be the Gibby R9 for the same price.

However when he told me $2600 out the door with a hardshell case, I couldn't open my wallet fast enough [biggrin]

While your story sounds like a great one you know how it is around here... We have to call it BS until we get to see some pics :D

I had a chance to play a Heritage equivalent of an ES 335 at the shop not too long ago - I loved it - Fit and finish was as good as anything I've seen from Gibson (Which is to say "excellent") fast and effortless action and great sound. From what I've seen the prices are quite reasonable - What's not to like?

There were 2 Heritage Les Pauls hanging on the wall of a local music store for about a year or two. I used to always check them out when I was there. I thought they were made very well with no obvious flaws and they played and sounded great. I'm not sure if all Heritage come with Seymore Duncan pickups, but these two did. They were "only" $1200 too!

They were gone last time I went in and the guy working there told me he finally bought one of them. The only thing I don't really care for is the headstock, but what can you do?

I think Heritage guitars gained a lot of momentum during the Norlin era of Gibson, just like a lot of companies that made "true" lawsuit copies back in the 70's.

The only one I have played was a nice guitar but didn't blow my mind or anything. Nice guitar indeed, if you like the way they play over a Gibson you just saved some $$$.

Don't believe the hype...go with your preference.

While your story sounds like a great one you know how it is around here... We have to call it BS until we get to see some pics :D

We??? [confused]

I was unaware you represented the masses in the guitar playing world...LOL ..... My response was directed at the OP on my recent shopping experience, and the progression I used in ending up with a quality guitar. In short, I dont need to defend my opinion or prove anything to you, just as you dont need to prove anything to me.... fair enough???

But if your thirst for resolving "BS" is too strong for you not to overcome, I'll make your detective work easy for you [biggrin] ...Simply search my photobucket or youtube accounts and you'll see the guitar (GMP) in question....

Happy Hunting [thumbup]

how come we can use the abbreviation "BS" and other abbreviations of swear words but not the actual words in print/type/text even though the "underage" will still know what it means? [rolleyes][unsure][-(#-o:-k

Sounds like an argument I would present to my parents when I was 12 years old....LOL [biggrin]

how come we can use the abbreviation "BS" and other abbreviations of swear words but not the actual words in print/type/text even though the "underage" will still know what it means? [rolleyes][unsure][-(#-o:-k

" British Steel " ????? [confused] .....Brams Stoker ???? :unsure: ......Bad Storm ???? [blink] ......

LOL!!!

I have no opinion on the matter.... I'd rather talk guitars.....

And really we should be addressing the thread starters question....which really is more important.

fair point, sorry to the op...although i did contribute to the op's thread in an earlier post [biggrin]

Archived