Gibson Brands Forums

Round VS V Neck Shape

brums

I am something of a chameleon in that I play a wide variety of necks. I choose guitars for their tone and then I adapt to them.

I do find the V and modified V necks more challenging to work with, but this is largely due to the fact that I am a thumb hanger - often using the thumb for bass runs. If your left hand technique is more classical with the thumb in the center of the neck, then a V may work well for you.

I can tell you after many years of selling guitars that a full V neck is the most difficult to get rid of. A modified V is not so bad.

There are no differences in tonality based on neck shape and type that I am aware of. Your neck-influenced tonality comes from the neck joint, the fingerboard wood and the density of the neck wood. Basically, a dovetail neck joint with an ebony fingerboard on a mahogany neck is usually the best and most powerful combination.

I prefer a C shaped neck. V necks never have fit me well. I also am a thumb wrapper and use my thumb on the low E string. Most Martin necks never felt good like my Taylor or Gibson necks. I have only slight differences on the three necks I have now. All are very similar in nut width and all work well for my style play.

Interesting. I can thumb over on a V well enough, but that is a consideration. In general, I like the way a V fills my hand. My take? Players who favor open chords and partials up the neck would gravitate toward a V. My AJ sounds good but Im not real partial to the neck shape. Nor my old blues king, which had what Id call a wide fat C. On the other hand, the Legend was a great playing neck for me. And I like Martins's vintage series. Good thread. J

Rule of thumb is the V profile make it easier to play up the neck and the round or oval down towards the nut. I owned a Linhof Special electric with a neck profile that started at a fat oval at the nut and went to a soft V. It was probably the easiest playing neck I have ever run across.

But I basically like both the roundback and soft V. I have had no problems using my thumb for bass notes on either and both were comfy. I have never noticed any difference in tone or resonance which I am a guessing are more of a matter of neck mass than profile.

I own a TV VOS J45. I think it best to consider Gibson's use of V in neck designation to mean vintage, not the letter v. To me the neck on my VOS has nothing in common with a Martin V or even modified V. Be sure to get your hands on one before assuming from the net what they feel like. BTW, I am absolutely delighted with my new Gibby, an amazingly versatile guitar.

John

Modern flat C's= Taylor, Fender Am. Std, Larrivee (even their vintage clones), Martin std series. etc All of the above are (relatively ) bland in tone (the better for effects mixers). Coincidence?

Vee necks= Martin vintage/GE, Fender vintage/relic, and Gibson when in "historic" mode (oops, make that TV). All noted for 'character". Just saying.

Modern flat C's= Taylor' date=' Fender Am. Std, Larrivee (even their vintage clones), Martin std series. etc All of the above are (relatively ) bland in tone (the better for effects mixers). Coincidence?

Vee necks= Martin vintage/GE, Fender vintage/relic, and Gibson when in "historic" mode (oops, make that TV). All noted for 'character". Just saying. [/quote']

i agree, jk. i've not yet met a larrivee that filled in all the blanks!

Modern flat C's= Taylor' date=' Fender Am. Std, Larrivee (even their vintage clones), Martin std series. etc All of the above are (relatively ) bland in tone (the better for effects mixers). Coincidence?

Vee necks= Martin vintage/GE, Fender vintage/relic, and Gibson when in "historic" mode (oops, make that TV). All noted for 'character". Just saying. [/quote']

OK,....then for you VOS J45 has more character than a MC J45 ?

Please forgive my stupidity, but I was looking at a J-45 Historic the other day. The description say's V neck. I can't see or feel any difference, in this neck, & the ones on my SJ-200, or my AJ for that matter.

Is the description wrong or am I just not getting it?

Archived