Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying the year

Pittstrummer

Hey all,

I picked up a LG-1 a couple of days ago and I'm trying to figure out what year it was made. The tag on it said 1963 but I would like to verify that. The serial number is: 858060.

I appreciate any help!

I'm trying to attach a pic.

LG-1.jpg[/img]

what Im finding, Its a 1966 or 1969....click on link and take a look

My link

Dchristo, thanks for the link. Yep it looks like 66 or 69. I guess I'll just go with 66 until I find a reason to say otherwise.

Big Kahune, thanks for fixing my pic. Not sure what I did wrong. There is considerable finish checking but no cracks. The guy in the shop said their luthier fixed a loose brace, replaced the plastic bridge with a rosewood one and installed a bone nut and saddle. It plays real nice and sounds sweet. A complete different animal from my Hummingbird but I love them both. And the best part is, it was my wife who actually suggested I should buy it. I guess she saw how I instantly bonded with it. [smile]

Sometimes if a Label is Missing... just measure the Nut width.. 1966 should be a 1 3/4 width.. from what i was told along time ago... late 1968 1969 and some 1970 models had a narrower Nut.. I even recall having a Few L5cs , Byrdlands ,from 1968 and 9 with the same narrow nut..

Sometimes if a Label is Missing... just measure the Nut width.. 1966 should be a 1 3/4 width.. from what i was told along time ago... late 1968 1969 and some 1970 models had a narrower Nut.. I even recall having a Few L5cs , Byrdlands ,from 1968 and 9 with the same narrow nut..

Pittstrummer, I'd go back to the dealer and tell him he needs to learn how to date his Gibsons, that is not a 63.

A 66 will not have a 1 3/4 inch nut ! It will be in the 1 9/16 to 1 5/8 inch range.

The only 60's Gibsons that I recall having interior labels were, Hummingbirds, Doves and J200's.

Never have seen a 60's J45, J50 or LG with a label !

Virtually all Gibsons in the late 60's (acoustic and electric) have a nut width of about 1 9/16", some of 1 5/8", probably around 1965. I've never seen 1 3/4" on any of these post-war versions (except modern repros, of course). From the photo, this definitely looks like the narrower nut. For people who are sensitive to nut width (larger fingers, for example) it really is critical to get the actual nut dimension on a particular guitar from this period before buying.

If you are a flatpicker with normal size fingers and hands, you can adapt to the narrow nut, but I can see that it would not be good for fingerpicking. I have a 000-28 EC, a good fingerpicking guitar

( 1 3/4" nut), and the board feels like an aircraft carrier compared to my late 60's Gibsons with the 1 9/16" (just under 40mm) nut.

Archived