Gibson Brands Forums

The 3 flagship Gibsons

livemusic

If we're speaking of acoustic guitars, I'd have to agree with the three previouly mentioned. "Flagship" can mean different things. For me it was probably at one time the guitar that sold the most, but now for me it tends to mean the guitars most readily identified as Gibsons to the mainstream-doesn't-know-squat-about-guitars-except-some-names public. I'm sure Les Pauls are in the mix as well as the other three. That said, if you ask Mr. Don'tknowsquat about the names of particular guitars, I'd bet he recognizes Hummingbird, Les Paul, D28, and maybe a couple others long before the Gibson super jumbos, other Martins, etc. I suspect that relatively few of the don't-know-squats can give you the model name of a Taylor or Fender. Naturally, as guitar players we approach it from a more fact/opinion-based perspective.....Interesting subject. [thumbup]

From an historical perspective, the L-00 and variants were very influential guitars. They were low cost, good quality small guitars which are still great fun to play. Also from the history point of view, the acoustic archtops with f holes and tailpiece like th L-5 were an enormous innovation by Gibson. I think archies are undergoing a sort of renaissance now.

In terms of the best known Gibson acoustics, I'd definitely say Hummingbird, J200 and J45.

The 'Bird is very iconic looking and instantly recognisable-the honey-hued burst, the flowers'n'birds'butterflies scratchplate, the split parallelograms...people just know 'em on sight. When I had my Hummingbirds, I had so many people say "nice Gibson" or "nice Hummingbird", many of whom knew nothing about guitars. I had less so with my J200, but plenty of people recognised it as a glorious example of Gibsonship. The J45 too.

I couldn't get arrested when playing my former Dove, J165, B15 or my current L-00, though. People just don't seem to be as familiar with those models as with the "big three'.

All this talk has got me GASing for another Hummingbird now. And a Dove. And a J45. And a...you get the picture.

Archived