Gibson Brands Forums

Which Solo Was Better

bluesguitar65

Some comments I am reading here are a little bit ... boring.

It is just a matter of taste, but what I find annoying is when I am reading comments like the original version is the best and stuff like that.

The problem is that with comments like that, everyone will be afraid of trying a cover of their favorites song/artist.

When I started guitar, I will surprise people but, I hated Jimi Hendrix music, I found it so fuzzy, i.e. I liked more SRV version than original one, I found (and still find) SRV sound more precise.

Anyway now, I really like Jimi's music :)

Everytime you will do a cover there will be someone somewhere that you will hurt, because he will think: how can this guy dare to play MY favourite song!!!

In case of Jimi, I think it worth because there is not only music, but all the legends that goes with it, the God image he is carrying.

Now regarding the performance here: Joe is so in the song, a pleasure to listen; Steve is so smart and interesting playing; Orianthi is neutral... not bad, not good, no real emotions; Tony Mc Alpine is totally out of the song!

I love 'loads of notes' (when it is called for) and am in no way one of these guys who hates fast playing etc LOL I just don't feel in rock guitar especially, that the majority of players know how, or when even, to use this gift of technique they have. IMHO in a lot of cases it just sounds like their technique supersedes their musicality by quite a bit. I think this is reflected in the audiences, as they are usually made up of mainly rock guitarists rather than a cross section of people.

That is these why it sounds just like a bunch of guys trying to out do each other rather than a group of artists bouncing off each other and complimenting each others' styles.

Matt

Thats easy. Way before Orianthi, Michael Jackson had another Female Guitarist in his band, Jennifer Batton. She is homely compared to Orianthi and she can play IMHO.

Jennifer_Batten_4.jpg

Kind of a mean theme in this thread; dogging on girls' looks. I always liked Batton's playing. It has a lot of attitude. The only thing that is ugly in that photo is the piece of drift wood she's holding.

I love 'loads of notes' (when it is called for) and am in no way one of these guys who hates fast playing etc LOL I just don't feel in rock guitar especially, that the majority of players know how, or when even, to use this gift of technique they have. IMHO in a lot of cases it just sounds like their technique supersedes their musicality by quite a bit. I think this is reflected in the audiences, as they are usually made up of mainly rock guitarists rather than a cross section of people.

That is these why it sounds just like a bunch of guys trying to out do each other rather than a group of artists bouncing off each other and complimenting each others' styles.

Matt

+1

CB

Archived