Gibson Brands Forums

What does "Masterbuilt" mean

PromoOnlyGuy

Masterbuilt could mean a certain guitar was supervised and/or built by a top luthier at Gibson.

the difference I believe is that when the guitar is supervised by a luthier like Ren Ferguson he can hand select the woods and test them for tonal qualities . Ren still makes tops and does bracing ... but I don't think he does entire guitars without some help .

standard models I believe do not use handpicked woods. just whatever gibson has at the time.

JC

I'm wondering if someone could shed a little light on what a "Masterbuilt" Gibson is, and how it differs (or doesn't) from a standard Gibson.

"Masterbuilt" is a random Gibson trademark that doesn't mean anything. I've never heard it applied to guitars, only the Masterbuilt strings, though. (For example, Amazon's "Black Friday Masterbuilt Guitar Sale Deals 2011" was on the strings.) Could you be thinking of "Masterbilt guitars"? "Masterbilt" is an Epiphone trademark, also meaningless, applied to guitars.

-- Bob

Hi Guys.

I'm wondering if someone could shed a little light on what a "Masterbuilt" Gibson is,

During the 30's Masterbilt was Epiphone's top-line guitars. They were truly excellent. Today its just another brand name/product line. Like RAR I don't think it has any special significance other than an attempt to differentiate it from hoards of other similar guitars...

I was referring to this

Ha! You are asking on the wrong forum. You should go to the MusiciansFriend forum, because that document was produced by MF, not Gibson.

By the way, Gibson does not hold a federal registration for the trademark MASTERBUILT, although they do use if for certain guitar strings they re-brand.

Masterbuilt could mean a certain guitar was supervised and/or built by a top luthier at Gibson.

the difference I believe is that when the guitar is supervised by a luthier like Ren Ferguson he can hand select the woods and test them for tonal qualities . Ren still makes tops and does bracing ... but I don't think he does entire guitars without some help .

standard models I believe do not use handpicked woods. just whatever gibson has at the time.

JC

I heard that Mr Ferguson has retired some time ago, so if new guitars are signed by him, it's misrepresentation..

Then the guess "meaningless" was right.

-- Bob R

yes I agree with you Bob . for some reason I had the idea it was about the master museum guitars or the batches of a model gibson does that come with signed COA's that certify Ren's supervision or work.Because sometimes I've seen those guitars refered to as "Masterbuilt"

but in the document the O.P provided it doesn't mean anything .

originally the term Masterbuilt applied to product Built by Master craftsmen as oppessed to an apprentice or a journeyman. It could apply to any type of work but was mainly used in wood working. As far as Gibson 's use of the term it generally means that a guitar may not be built by a Master craftsman but supposedly has a higher degree of quality control and is built to certain specs.

The Epiphopne Masterbilt guitars are different from the cheapo Chinese stuff in that they are made out of all solid wood, no laminates. The name "Masterbilt" was used by Epiphone in the 1930s to designate their top-of-the-line guitars like the Emporer and Triumph.

Do ya think he goes to the factory every day just to get away from his ol' lady?

His wife is a beauty. Anyone that knows her knows a true life partner.They have a wonderful family. Ren is a very lucky man and he knows it. Ren is recovering from a bad fall that left his knee damaged and he is still working for Gibson. By the way, his wife Renee is a deadly shot and has hunted with Ren for many years.

This just in from Gibson... [smile]

Hello Glen,

Masterbuilt is a term the acoustic division has used for years to describe their work but it not specific to any particular model. Thank you for the inquiry.

Regards,

Roger Ball

Gibson customer service

service@gibson.com

Sooooo, does it mean something or nothing???

His wife is a beauty. Anyone that knows her knows a true life partner.They have a wonderful family. Ren is a very lucky man and he knows it. Ren is recovering from a bad fall that left his knee damaged and he is still working for Gibson. By the way, his wife Renee is a deadly shot and has hunted with Ren for many years.

Ren is recovering and while he is still doing some work around the factory . he cannot sit for long periods of time ... Jeremy Fuller told me this news.

Archived