Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at 335 Tomorrow

69tele

Good luck and enjoy !!

Depends on your knowledge and experience so far

Common sense will prevail at all times

Is the vendor genuine...how many owners...condition of instrument...appropriate set-up

Spend as long as possible examining and playing...take your own familiar amp

The vendor should leave you alone for a period

Any pressure to deal quickly, leave promptly

Unless totally convinced...leave for a cool off before spending a large amount of money.....

V

:-({|=

the suspense !

rem i'm in a different timezone. (CET)

Got her yesterday PM and just about had enough time to clean her up and put new strings on in time for my gig.

real nice guitar to play good action very resonant

only thing is i need to change the pup covers etc.. they are nickel and well corroded

even after a clean, lemon oil on the neck etc..my fingers where black after the first set.

might change the hardware for chrome... then again my les paul classic has nickel harware and is also always corroding very quickly.

I swapped her for a mint MIJ Bigsby Telecaster and a store brand wireless mike so I think I got a good deal $$$ wise

attach as was pic and after I cleaned her.

made in memphis serial is 00555733

we are having a one week trial and then confirming if we keep.

post-35717-048535300 1324730940_thumb.jpg

post-35717-046117400 1324730953_thumb.jpg

I would not change out the nickel hardware. Surface corrosion can be removed using Flitz, a non-abrasive metal polish available from marine supply stores such as West Marine. Nothing else works particularly well, but I've used this for years to restore nickel hardware.

Nickel hardware is the original specification for the ES 335, going back to 1958.

If the fretboard is really grungy, you may find it necessary to give it a good cleaning with naptha prior to oiling it. I clean filthy fretboards with Planet Waves Hydrate, using bronze wool (not steel wool, which leaves fragments behind).

thanks guys been playing it again today at a family gathering and really enjoying it.

this is the flitz product ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flitz-Paste-Polish-Metal-Plastic-and-Fiberglass-50G-/200372822534?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2ea726a206#ht_2523wt_1189

also heard coca cola cleans up nickel well ?

That's the correct Flitz polish. For pickup covers, use a cotton rag (this is where all my old T-shirts get their second life) and a small bit of this. It may take a fair amount of rubbing. Polish out with a clean, dry bit of the same cloth.

thanks thats the strange thing the label inside says its made in memphis ?

Guitar dater isn't always correct. You could call or email Gibson customer service to possibly find out for sure what it is you have. I just put the serial number that you gave in Guitar dater and that's what it says...But there is a note at the bottom about semi hollow and hollow bodies being made in Memphis. I copied it below. Sorry, I didn't intend to confuse things.

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

February 24th, 2005

Production Number: 433

Gibson: Nashville

Gibsons Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Note: Most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee. This facility has an average production rate of 40 guitars a day.

thanks thats the strange thing the label inside says its made in memphis ?

It IS a Memphis guitar. The earlier post was incorrect. The label tells all. The Nashville-built ES 335's use an entirely different numbering system, as they are called "Historic Re-issues". You may get confusing results if you plug a standard eight-digit serial number into one of the serial number finders.

Archived