Gibson Brands Forums

Wish Ren Ferguson a Nice Recovery

JuanCarlosVejar

As someone just about the same age as Ren, I can say that very few people with the talents and energy demonstrated by Ren feel the need to "retire", unless they have another project they want to take on.

If you enjoy your work, and are good at it, you generally stick with it as long as you can. Or at least as long as they'll have you.

I can't imagine Ren not wanting to build guitars. Craftsmen, almost more than anyone else, come to identify with the things they create, and they often struggle when they try to give it up. It's one thing if you're a banker, a lawyer, or someone who does backbreaking physical labor. I'd want to retire from that, too.

Sure, I'd love to have the time to do some more personal projects. But it's harder and harder for people to really "retire" these days.

I hope Ren will keep us in the loop. He has an awful lot of friends here, even if he hasn't met most of them.

And if he wants to start building guitars under his own name, I'll be the first in line.

to some degree you are correct.... what we miss on this forum is that Ren has other interests too. I have spent some good time with him. When he is not in a situation that requires talking about work, Ren doesn't mention guitars. He REALLY enjoys building guns. He is huge into the outdoors and hunting. I think with his recent injury he realized he had some other things to do in his life while he still can. He is a complex man and guitar building is one part of him. He may still build, but i seem him doing it as he feels like it, not on the scale that he has been. It's just not the only thing in his life. It's just the only part of him we see here.

I have no idea what Mr Ferguson's plans or motives are, and only know any history of Gibson from this forum where there is some amazing and really cool knowledge.

Modoc_333 seems to have a close source though, I'd imagine to be head of an operation like Bozeman would be pretty stressful... if one is financially secure an easier life would be very welcoming.

You don't have to give up your craft or passion simply because you stop working within an industry/corporation.

Would like to wish Ren all the best, and thank him and Gibson for producing some wonderful guitars.

Long may it continue.

Edit

Just read posts on Music Villa Gibson Forum.. mentioned by Hogeye so....... I'll leave it to the people who know.

Best wishes Ren. You brought Gibson Acoustics back to the great quality that they were in the old days.

Enjoy your retirement, and please give us first shot at any guitars that you may work on. Nobody appreciates you like we do.

Hi, jchabalk !

What series is the SJ-200 in picture ? and what year ?

Thank you, I just got my 5 STAR J-35 by Ren.

Hi there gotomsdos, mine's an SJ-200 - red spruce top with koa back and sides. do you have any pics of your J35. I think I just reading about a run of them? maybe from fullers?

Archived