Gibson Brands Forums

Staying on topic

JohnMac

Hi all,

I'm new here and have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much protocol to stay on topic in any given thread. Things seem to wander far off of the original poster's topic. Is this acceptable and typical or did I just happen to catch a couple of threads that did this?

Cheers!

John

Mostly we all sort of stay on-topic (except in wonderful threads like the 'scratch' one where logic must a back seat) but the lounge really is a bit like a bar-room lounge where, from what I've seen over the years, many things tangential can be discussed as long as they don't completely de-rail the op's topic.

This 'Straying' is partly what makes the Lounge such an interesting place to hang out IMHO.

P.

I usually frequent the Epi side and have only recently started posting on this end since buying my second Gibby. I nearly gave up on this side though because the lounge was dominated by one or two people who hijacked every thread with posts that can ony be described as utter drivel. What's more they would also start their own nonsense posts but at least you could avoid those as soon as you saw the name. Fortunately that nonsense now seems to have subsided so perhaps you can consider yourself lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a lounge and I like a laugh as much as anybody but inane nonsense is not my cup of tea.

I usually frequent the Epi side and have only recently started posting on this end since buying my second Gibby. I nearly gave up on this side though because the lounge was dominated by one or two people who hijacked every thread with posts that can ony be described as utter drivel. What's more they would also start their own nonsense posts but at least you could avoid those as soon as you saw the name. Fortunately that nonsense now seems to have subsided so perhaps you can consider yourself lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a lounge and I like a laugh as much as anybody but inane nonsense is not my cup of tea.

I'm sorry for annoying you. [sad]

I dunno... You guys should know John's from Mitchell, SD, and had one of my classmates as an English teacher. In fact, it was a kinda favorite classmate of mine before I moved away for my last two years of high school "back east." She got a far better grades in Latin than I did. <grin> But she forgot forgot Archimedes' principle when grabbing a dead frog from a big jar of formaldehyde (I think they call it formalin nowadays.) Splish-splash.

Odd... Never told that story before. Oh, John... another older sister was Ruthann.

m

You didn't mention the other, youngest sister Barb. She was my art teacher. She was probably a baby when you knew her but she gave me a major...well, let's just say I got really exited when it was time for art class.

Off topic enough for y'all?

John...

Oh, I knew Barb... my little sis' age and they were friends. All the Ellwein girls were quite bright, mostly very nice to people (they were, after all, still teens of my memories) and quite beautiful young ladies.

Ah, how time goes by... It just hit me... how terribly young we were in those teen years that easily would be now young enough to be my grandchildren... How important silly things were and how silly important things seemed.

BTW, I did watch Nancy dissect the frog. <grin> I was Bill Houck's biology lab assistant my soph year...

m

Archived