Gibson Brands Forums

Look Legit?

tominator

Hey All,

I am contemplating purchasing a Les Paul Traditional after doing a lot of reasurch and playing some. However, the budget isn't large enough to buy a new one, but I found a listing on ebay that I might be able to swing. The thing is, there's a couple of different things about this guitar, so I wanted your opinin on whether this is a real Gibson Les Paul.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Traditional_W0QQitemZ110305424204QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110305424204&_trkparms=72%3A1209|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The things that seem odd to me, though I admit I am not thuroghly educated on Gibsons, is that it has that clear cover over the pots and It says that it has a pink lined case, neither of which I think that I've herd of.

So, what's your opinion, legit or not?

Tough to say- that clear plate really throws me off. The headstock looks too thin, but it seems to match up with MF's pics of traditionals.

the casing around the pups doesn't look right either...

On the pink lined case, I've heard of that coming with some Custom shop guitars, but not a USA case. (unless it has one of those pink floppy frabic thingies in the case...)

I know Gibson used to make pink lined hard shell cases. They were brown leather. One of my friends has one he keeps an old melody maker in. I believe they called them "california girls" back in the day. I was pretty sure they stopped making them though.

As far as the other stuff, the pots look legit to me, and he could have just replaced the cover. But then again, I'm no where near as experienced with Gibsons as other people.

Tough to say- that clear plate really throws me off. The headstock looks too thin' date=' but it seems to match up with MF's pics of traditionals.

the casing around the pups doesn't look right either...

On the pink lined case, I've heard of that coming with some Custom shop guitars, but not a USA case. (unless it has one of those pink floppy frabic thingies in the case...)[/quote']

The clear plate on the back of the new Traditional models is normal. The pink lined case doesn't sound right to me though. I was under the impression that Gibson had replaced them with the white lined cases due to the dark colored case linings bleeding into the finish of guitars. I'd call Gibson and question the pink lined case with a 2008 Tradtional model LP. Other than that the guitar itself looks legit to me. The LP has binding nibs and to be honest I've never seen a fake that had binding nibs on the end of the frets.

i`d say it`s a Fake. just chake this out... i made this little photo file

Just take a look to the shape of the headstock' date=' to Gibson name on it... IT´s A FAKE

[img']http://www.2and2.net/files/4908c89c86dc6.jpg[/img]

the guitar is legit. i'ved seen very subtle headstock shape variations(but not as bad as the fake ones) on several real gibsons. and maybe because of the lighting and pic angle too.

also, are you aware the tuners on your '04 Standard are not stock?

the guitar is legit. i'ved seen very subtle headstock shape variations(but not as bad as the fake ones) on several real gibsons. and maybe because of the lighting and pic angle too.

also' date=' are you aware the tuners on your '04 Standard are not stock?[/quote']

His tuners look stock to me.... How do you figure that they aren't stock?

Just take a look into the Gibson´s website and you`ll see that the Les paul Traditional doesn´t have a transparent cover on the back... the only guitar with the transparent cover it`s the Stantard 2008 and not the traditional line

i` had the chance to play a lot of Gibson, from studios to Historics, and the hedstock it`s just the same and all of the Gibson les paul that i`ve played

Are you still thinking. it`s real.. For me it`s a fake

fake%202.jpg

having the transparent cover doesn't mean automatically mean its fake. its just might be a simple mistake on the factory considering the standard and traditional are 2 very similar models. or it might be a very early example to show the difference between a Standard and a Traditional on stores.

Archived