Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge facing tailstop or neck

Rabs

Something I have never been sure about...

With the bridge, should the screws (that fine tune for intonation) be facing the tailstop or the neck? Ages ago when I first changed the strings on my Classic, I was cleaning it and it of course fell off and I couldnt remember which way around it should go.

Does it really matter, I mean I know why its there, but is it ok to set up intonation either way round, or is one way better?

Of course I tried to look for pics on the net but get conflicting results and even on some of my newer guitars after that they come different ways around out of the box.

It really doesn't matter which way it goes, unless the intonation has been set, and/or the bridge has actually been worked to have the grooves cut, or have worn from use.

From the factory, the APS-1 or the original type would have almost always left the factory with the screws toward the pups, and the Nashville type would have almost always left the factory with the screws pointing toward the tailpiece.

If you don't know which one you have, the APS-1 would usually have a retaining wire (unless it is pre-'60 or so, OR a reproduction of the oldest ones). The Nashville type would be a little wider for more saddle adjustment, and no wire. Also, the nashville will be mounted using bushings in the guitar, while the APS type USUALLY has the studs into the wood, as that is how they were originally done.

There are exceptions, but if you are trying to guess how your guitar came, chances are it is going to be like this.

It really doesn't matter which way it goes, unless the intonation has been set, and/or the bridge has actually been worked to have the grooves cut, or have worn from use.

From the factory, the APS-1 or the original type would have almost always left the factory with the screws toward the pups, and the Nashville type would have almost always left the factory with the screws pointing toward the tailpiece.

If you don't know which one you have, the APS-1 would usually have a retaining wire (unless it is pre-'60 or so, OR a reproduction of the oldest ones). The Nashville type would be a little wider for more saddle adjustment, and no wire. Also, the nashville will be mounted using bushings in the guitar, while the APS type USUALLY has the studs into the wood, as that is how they were originally done.

There are exceptions, but if you are trying to guess how your guitar came, chances are it is going to be like this.

Cheers guys.

Well the one I am talking about is a LP Classic 1960 re-issue from 2002

DSC01204.jpg

Cheers guys.

Well the one I am talking about is a LP Classic 1960 re-issue from 2002

DSC01206.jpg

That is like, so an APS that it makes the guitar be like all "I gotta have the screws pointed toward the pups" because it is so classic like.

I LIKE it! Nice looking axe, and you got the COOL bridge for it!

That is like, so an APS that it makes the guitar be like all "I gotta have the screws pointed toward the pups" because it is so classic like.

I LIKE it! Nice looking axe, and you got the COOL bridge for it!

Cheers.. well thats how it came (I think :) thats why I started this thread in the first place).. I adore this guitar more than anything.. Its as heavy as they come and has killer tone..

All I did was remove the scratchplate cos I gererally prefer the look.

DSC01203.jpg

My two LPs were both purchased new - one faced one way, one the other! Personally I find if the screws face away from the tailpiece the intonation is easier to adjust. However, to change one around you will have to remove and move the saddles so they match the diameter of the strings. Not a big job, but a job nonetheless. I ended up converting to ABR anyway. Problem solved. I could point the screws the way I wanted since I had to cut the saddle slots from scratch anyway.

nashville points towards the stoptail

ABR-1 towards the pickups

although if the saddles are not pre notched it can be turned either way.

answer to your question without knowing if you got nashville or ABR-1? check your saddle notches the wider notch belongs to the thicker string (Bottom E)

nashville points towards the stoptail

ABR-1 towards the pickups

although if the saddles are not pre notched it can be turned either way.

answer to your question without knowing if you got nashville or ABR-1? check your saddle notches the wider notch belongs to the thicker string (Bottom E)

cheers.. i will have a look...

Archived