Gibson Brands Forums

Im a back and with a question

Enmitygauged

Has anyone played the "new" Les Paul Classic plus The Store I go to sent me a pic of their new Blue one and I love my blue guitars just not sure on the pups never heard of them. Any thoughts on them and a Hardened maple neck..

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Plus.aspx

The "Hot Ceramics" have been the standard pickups on "Classic" Les Paul's, for some time.

They are the hottest pickups, that Gibson makes. Some love that tone. Personally, I

changed them, in my 2000 "Classic Plus," to Gibson "Classic '57, and '57+, because they

are much lower in output, cleaner longer, before distortion, and a smoother overdrive,

when it does occur. They ('57's) gave me the "old school," Les Paul tone I grew up hearing,

and playing, in the '60's.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with the stock ceramics. It's merely a matter of

personal taste, and choice, regarding the tone you prefer! Best thing to do, is go to

your dealer, and play them, through the same amp(s), both clean, and overdriven, and see

which you prefer.

The new "Classics" have "Baked Maple" fingerboards. They are similar, in tone, to Rose

wood, maybe a bit "snappier," and feels more like Ebony. My Classic Custom Gold Top, has

a "Baked Maple" board...and, personally, I LOVE it!

Have fun, trying them out... [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

The "Hot Ceramics" have been the standard pickups on "Classic" Les Paul's, for some time.

They are the hottest pickups, that Gibson makes. Some love that tone. Personally, I

changed them, in my 2000 "Classic Plus," to Gibson "Classic '57, and '57+, because they

are much lower in output, cleaner longer, before distortion, and a smoother overdrive,

when it does occur. They ('57's) gave me the "old school," Les Paul tone I grew up hearing,

and playing, in the '60's.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with the stock ceramics. It's merely a matter of

personal taste, and choice, regarding the tone you prefer! Best thing to do, is go to

your dealer, and play them, through the same amp(s), both clean, and overdriven, and see

which you prefer.

The new "Classics" have "Baked Maple" fingerboards. They are similar, in tone, to Rose

wood, maybe a bit "snappier," and feels more like Ebony. My Classic Custom Gold Top, has

a "Baked Maple" board...and, personally, I LOVE it!

Have fun, trying them out... [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Cheers Charlie,

I am going to try it out tomorrow at band prac see how it goes. I might like the high gain I love the growl of my P90's and the standards Burstbucker pros I'm falling less in love with my 335's sound :(

Cheers Charlie,

I am going to try it out tomorrow at band prac see how it goes. I might like the high gain I love the growl of my P90's and the standards Burstbucker pros I'm falling less in love with my 335's sound :(

:-k Does your ES-335 have "burst buckers," or "Classic '57's?

Also, what is it, about your 335's sound/tone, that you're finding

less appealing?

CB

I picked up at Wine red LP Custom Classic two weeks ago. The baked maple neck feels very good and plays nicely. it is one of the few Gibsons I have seen at GC with absolutely no defects. (was unboxed the day before and hung up high) No cosmetic problems, superb craftmanship, excellent intonation (more than I can say for my ES 335).

Bottom Line: One of best LPs I have ever played or owned.

less appealing?

CB

A polite repeat on Charlie's question. I prefer the "Classic 57's" over "burst buckers" on a 335. But, I play pretty clean most times. I just really wonder also what you are finding less appealing about your 335's sound/tone. No right or wrong, but interesting to hear for certain.

Hall

I have a 2007 Les Paul Classic with the stock ceramics and I love it. Those hot pups rock out!!! I have other Les Pauls with different pups as well though but when you want raw power those ceramics deliver....

If I were buy those guitars just on looks I'd take one of each... [thumbup]

I think I prefer the '57 Hummers over the Burstbuckers I have now. Smoother to me, although that may be just a faded memory at the moment.

I think Classic Custom or the ones with the '57's everyone seems to be buying with the burnt maple fingerboard would be the one for me.

less appealing?

CB

It has 57's in it, its just a little bit muddy in tone compared with the Bursts in my lp. I like the clean sound of my LP and play mainly a LP JR special with dual P90's now days. Clean the 335 is amazing put some gain into it and it sounds messy

It has 57's in it, its just a little bit muddy in tone compared with the Bursts in my lp. I like the clean sound of my LP and play mainly a LP JR special with dual P90's now days. Clean the 335 is amazing put some gain into it and it sounds messy

Well, 335's, in general, are "rounder" tone wise, than a Les Paul,

even with the same, or near the same pickups, It's the semi-hollow

body, that makes the tone "rounder," and (I think) what you may call

"muddier." I actually turn down the tone control, on my Les Paul's,

to get that "muddier" (what I call "fatter") tone, at times. Or,

I just use my "Lucille" or AIUSA Sheraton, if appropriate, and/or

I have one of them, with me. [biggrin]

On your "grain" (Distortion, or overdrive), have you messed with the

EQ, a bit...more treble/mid range, with the 335, beyond what you use,

for the Les Paul's? AND,Or...cut back the "drive" a bit more, with

the 335, than what you use, with the Les Paul's? Just curious...

The reason I asked that, is...that I use 2 of the same pedals,

at different settings, for that very purpose. Works really well, too.

So, depending on which guitar I'm using, I punch the pedal, that's

set up for it, alone. Of course, you could just "adjust" one pedal

alone, for each guitar, as you use it. But, I've "spoiled" myself, that

way, I guess? [blush][biggrin]

CB

I have a 2008 LP Classic and a 2011 LP Classic Plus, both with the ceramic 496R/500T pickup setup. I play mostly alt-rock and really like the pickups. You have to be careful with your treble settings, but overall, I love the pickups. They remain very clear and articulate, even with moderate levels of gain.

Well, 335's, in general, are "rounder" tone wise, than a Les Paul,

even with the same, or near the same pickups, It's the semi-hollow

body, that makes the tone "rounder," and (I think) what you may call

"muddier." I actually turn down the tone control, on my Les Paul's,

to get that "muddier" (what I call "fatter") tone, at times. Or,

I just use my "Lucille" or AIUSA Sheraton, if appropriate, and/or

I have one of them, with me. [biggrin]

On your "grain" (Distortion, or overdrive), have you messed with the

EQ, a bit...more treble/mid range, with the 335, beyond what you use,

for the Les Paul's? AND,Or...cut back the "drive" a bit more, with

the 335, than what you use, with the Les Paul's? Just curious...

The reason I asked that, is...that I use 2 of the same pedals,

at different settings, for that very purpose. Works really well, too.

So, depending on which guitar I'm using, I punch the pedal, that's

set up for it, alone. Of course, you could just "adjust" one pedal

alone, for each guitar, as you use it. But, I've "spoiled" myself, that

way, I guess? [blush][biggrin]

CB

I havent played with the eq. I think it could just be I only use the mesa now days I used the hrd for ages and loved the tone of the 335 but didnt like the LP as much on the HRD. I think I will end up using the ABY and take two amps cos I do love that 335 beale st blue its beyond stunning

Archived