Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a digital recorder; now what kind of mic?

heymisterk

Hi All,

Bottom line: Can anyone recommend a jack-of-all-trades recording microphone? I don't need anything really fancy; I am new to home recording.

I posted a question regarding which direction to go in terms of buying my first home recording unit. As always, people here were unfailingly helpful.

I decided on the Boss DP-400, a four-track recorder. I went with that as opposed to a computer program because I don't have a laptop, and my desktop and musical gear are in two different areas of the house.

Like I said, I am looking for a jack of all trades, master of none mic that will suffice in getting a decent recording whether it's my acoustic guitar, electric, or my vocals.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

The reason the SM 58 is popular for vocals and the SM 57 is used more for instruments is because the SM 58 is omnidirectional and the 57 is mono directional.

Omnidirectional simply means the mic will pick up the sound coming in from the front and sides which is great for a vocalist singing live. The singer can move around the stage and be animated and not have to worry about not singing directly into the mic.

The SM 57 is better for instruments as it picks up sound that is coming at it directly from the front so other instruments around it are less likely to be a problem...

Both of these mics have about the same quality in the sound they reproduce...

I decided on the Boss DP-400, a four-track recorder. I went with that as opposed to a computer program because I don't have a laptop, and my desktop and musical gear are in two different areas of the house.

Like I said, I am looking for a jack of all trades, master of none mic that will suffice in getting a decent recording whether it's my acoustic guitar, electric, or my vocals.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'am not familiar with the dp-400 does it have the built in mic's that the br-80 has, if so those are quite good! [confused]

if the recorder or mixer supplies phantom power, I'd recommend one of the numerous cheap condensor mic's that are on the market. Altthough a 57 is a good guitar mic and its sound had become pretty standard in mic'ing guitars, it starts to roll off at the bottom end around 80 HZ, and can be disappointing on bass guitar and kick drum.

What model did you buy again? there is no such thing as a Boss DP-400, Google searches turn up Tascam recorders for that model.

At any rate, READ THE MANUAL before you buy anything, these small recorders usually do not take the usual microphones, they use 3 Volt "plug in power mics", these are the same mics video cameras can use.

I use 2 of them with my Boss Micro BR, an Olympus (mono) and a Sony (stereo), both are 3 Volt mics. (a laptop or computer will NOT power these mics)

Here is the funny thing the Sony mic I bought is a fake!! I bought it for $5 direct from China, looks like a discard that did not make it past QC but works just fine. The same mic Sony ECM-DS70P was $70 at the time, when you take into account that an electret mic is $0.50 each makes you realize the mark up on the Sony.

Here is the Olympus mono mic I have used

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000MYPPPE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328558872&sr=1-1

Archived