Gibson Brands Forums

Extremely long backlog on shipping for replacing defective Les Paul Standard Plus Top guitars

patrick2099

On 1/15/2012, I ordered a Honey Burst Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top, from Musician's Friend. When the guitar arrived, the neck was cracked at the nut -- most likely because the guitar not properly packed and the guitar was also shipped with strings under full tension. I sent the guitar back, and Musician's Friend received it on 1/20/2012. I was then told that the guitar was backordered, and would not ship out until 1/27 or 1/28. I was pretty upset that I was going to have to wait that long, because of someone else's mistake, but decided to wait it out. Well, 1/27 became 2/3, which because 2/13, which became 2/15, which is currently sitting at 2/16 the last time that I checked, online. While I originally thought that they were giving me the runaround, this also appears to be the ship date for new Les Pauls, as well. I thought about having Musician's Friend instead refund my cash, and buying the guitar at Sweetwater, but it appears as though they are out of stock, as well. Why is there such a long delay, in shipping these guitars out? Hopefully, my new one is properly inspected and packaged, because I don't want to wait another month+ doing this again...

Patrick,

Welcome to the forum!

Yup, that sucks. If it's any comfort (which I'm sure it's not) I think most of us have been there.

Guitars are where and when you find them.

When I go to buy one, I can usually own it in a day to a couple of months.

Still, there are guitars I've been trying to buy for over 40 years.

Maybe the next one will be it.

The only solace I've ever found is that once you've got it...It's your's forever. (If that's what you want)

Willy

My Gibson Midtown Custom just got pushed back from 2/7 to 2/27 at MF.

I had returned a defective Epi Ultra 339 on December 7 and that purchase is now the down payment on the Gibby.

I'm not too bummed because the longer it takes, the easier it will be for me to pay the difference.

Still, it seems Gibson is having some delivery problems...

Welcome Patrick.

Seems like GC is the only ones to have stock on the Honey Burst Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. I picked up one the other week from them. Sorry to head about your issue. A couple of the online places are looking at March or April until they get there Honey's.[cursing]

They are taking pre-orders at 424.00 with no tax and free shipping.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I don't think that Epiphone was to blame, for the poor packing, but I could be wrong. I think that one is one Musician's Friend. The guitar was in the hardshell case that I had ordered, with not a single piece of packaging keeping the guitar from moving inside the case. The case was then packed in a box, with three or four pieces of paper, that all seemed to accumulate near the bottom. I was surprised that the strings were under full tension and that the high 'E' string was actually off the side of the guitar, at high tension. This leads me to believe that the guitar was not inspected either at the factory or at Musician's Friend.

I am, however, still surprised at the huge backorder times for such a popular guitar. I can understand if I was order a super-expensive, custom guitar. When I ordered a mass-produced guitar, I really expected to get it in a reasonable amount of time. Musician's friend is putting 100% of the blame on Epiphone, which I don't think is completely honest. One I spoke to, at Musician's Friend told me that they have discontinued this guitar, and that this is why Epiphone is in no hurry to fill their order. After talking to a very friendly and helpful person from Gibson, I found out that the guitar wasn't discontinued. When I called back, and called Musician's Friend on this, the CSR said that what the previous CSR meant is that Musician's Friend was discontinuing selling this particular model/color. I find it hard to believe that one of the largest music retailers will not be carrying one of the most popular guitars in one of the most popular colors.

Perfect example, of why I Rarely (if ever) buy a guitar, from a Big Box, or Mail order facility.

My dealer, has much better prices, anyway. And, I get to play the guitar, make sure it's

really what I want, prior to purchase. They then set it up, to my spec's, and make

sure, that I am totally happy, before I walk out the door. Even so, they have a decent

return policy, as well.

However, IF you are going to (or, have little real choice, due to distances, etc.),

buy at Big Box/Mail order prices, use "Sweetwater!" Much better Customer Service,

you get the exact guitar, they display, and they too, will set it up, completely inspect

it, to be sure it's of "First Rate" quality, prior to shipping, and...if anything, they

Over protect it, packaging wise! Not the other way 'round!

Good Luck!

CB

However, IF you are going to (or, have little real choice, due to distances, etc.),

buy at Big Box/Mail order prices, use "Sweetwater!" Much better Customer Service,

you get the exact guitar, they display, and they too, will set it up, completely inspect

it, to be sure it's of "First Rate" quality, prior to shipping, and...if anything, they

Over protect it, packaging wise! Not the other way 'round!

Good Luck!

CB

+1 [thumbup]

My local shops could not carry either of the two guitars we wanted, so after reading the overwhelming amount of pro-Sweetwater chatter on this site, we took the plunge. Fantastic service from them.

Thanks for the recommendation on Sweetwater. I have heard the same, from a few other people. Their price was about $100 higher than the deal I got a Musician's Friend, but I would gladly pay that to know that they actually test the guitars before they ship them. I don't mind adjusting bridge height, intonation, etc. but just the peace of mind knowing that the guitar has been inspected and tested is worth $100 to me. I have used Musician's Friend before, and never had issues, but this is the first (and last) guitar that I buy from them. I would definitely prefer to buy a guitar that I have actually played, from a music store, but the closest Gibson dealer to me is about two hours away.

i'm one of the lucky ones that has a Guitar Center that is only an hour away up in Charlotte so i can play and thoroughly check the guitar that i'm thinking of buying. and the 'new' guitars that are on the walls as demonstrators can be had for as much as 40% off, it's how i got my worn 66' Wilshire. I still use my local mom and pop music store for strings and picks and stuff like that but for big purchases like guitars and amplifiers i use GC.

i'm one of the lucky ones that has a Guitar Center that is only an hour away up in Charlotte so i can play and thoroughly check the guitar that i'm thinking of buying. and the 'new' guitars that are on the walls as demonstrators can be had for as much as 40% off, it's how i got my worn 66' Wilshire. I still use my local mom and pop music store for strings and picks and stuff like that but for big purchases like guitars and amplifiers i use GC.

Columbia to Charlotte in 1 hour?

Does the SC Highway Patrol on I-77 keep a special eye out for you? I sometimes drive from Greenville to Charlotte along the I-85 and it seems like there's a cop on top of every bridge with a radar gun in his hand...

Hi patrick2099,

This is Skaught from Musician's Friend. I'm very sorry to hear about the first item arriving damaged and the delay in getting a replacement. I would like to do what I can for you. We value your business and I'll make sure you know that. Please email me at forums@musiciansfriend.com with your order details so that I can help. Thanks for your time!

Skaught

Hi patrick2099,

This is Skaught from Musician's Friend. I'm very sorry to hear about the first item arriving damaged and the delay in getting a replacement. I would like to do what I can for you. We value your business and I'll make sure you know that. Please email me at forums@musiciansfriend.com with your order details so that I can help. Thanks for your time!

Skaught

Skaught, I just sent you a reply via email. Thanks.

Archived