Gibson Brands Forums

strange epihone supernova

Sambucus

hello everyone.i was told i should re post this on this part of the forum because they're might be someone who can help me further.

Image798.jpg

Image799.jpg

heres some pics of the guitar,ive had her since 1997 and was never really into oasis but it sounded lovley to me.only recently have i started to question if its real or not.its seems to be abit different from others.

Image790.jpg

ive type in the serial on the serial checker and cant seem to find anything.

Image796.jpg

Image788.jpg

Image787.jpg

i still feel i got a bargin price for it but looks to be some sort of cut n shove.2 different guitars.maybe the neck got broken and then replaced.is there any way to tell if the bodies genuine?any help would be great,a friend of mine said it could be a prototype sort of thing but i doubt that.many thanks.

The guitar looks original to me; the signature appears to be the old one (please find attached a picture), as Noel changed his signature at a certain moment.

You can find attached as well the specifications of the guitar.

About the body/neck/ I'm not sure 100% but they look genuine to me, as I don't see any really strange things. The neck looks a bit dark but that's all I think.

post-15276-019064500 1328874200_thumb.jpg

post-15276-022449500 1328874201_thumb.jpg

Thankyou for getting back to me,glad you think it looks ok.it plays ok so that's all that matters I spose.shame the serial number couldn't help any more with when/where it was made.yes the neck looks darker,it's brown and the normal ones are blue,thanks again for your help.

The guitar looks original to me; the signature appears to be the old one (please find attached a picture), as Noel changed his signature at a certain moment.

You can find attached as well the specifications of the guitar.

About the body/neck/ I'm not sure 100% but they look genuine to me, as I don't see any really strange things. The neck looks a bit dark but that's all I think.

Awesome info as usual, Stijn! [thumbup]

"R97" in your serial# = Peerless, 1997.

As I recall, the later ones were painted Manchester City blue on the back of the neck and headstock, much like this 2001 example currently for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Noel-Gallagher-Signature-SuperNova-/200711693641?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ebb596549

Personally, though, I prefer yours...

Nice guitar! And a nice piece of 1990s history.

Thankyou for getting back to me,glad you think it looks ok.it plays ok so that's all that matters I spose.shame the serial number couldn't help any more with when/where it was made.yes the neck looks darker,it's brown and the normal ones are blue,thanks again for your help.

The serial is actually very close to the one on my sheraton ii. from what i understand the R is for the Peerless factory, then the 97 is the year, if i've got my facts straight. Not sure on the second letter, yours is P, mine is M, maybe the month of production? but the numbers following would just be the production number.

im gussing the ML is the color code, the first word being either manchester (man city blue) or maybe metallic

It is Manchester City blue which is Noel's favourite football Team. I'm actually picking one a 1998 model of these up along with a 2007 Sheraton in a trade for a 2005 American Series Strat tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing the Guitar in the flesh.

It is Manchester City blue which is Noel's favourite football Team. I'm actually picking one a 1998 model of these up along with a 2007 Sheraton in a trade for a 2005 American Series Strat tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing the Guitar in the flesh.

If the Epiphones you mention are in good shape, that seems like a pretty good deal.

Although it's the Union Jack Supernovas rather than the Man City ones that seem to be bringing in high prices these days:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Supernova-Union-Jack-Model-Noel-Gallagher-Signed-/270907338057?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f1355ed49

I reckon there's a fair few 35 year olds starting to feel nostalgic for the mid-1990s. (I know, because I'm one of them...)

Yep. There is no doubt about that. I'm just trying to shed some light on Epiphone's color suffix designations. ML is a typical custom color that Epiphone uses on quite a few guitars. A few years after the Supernova was released, Epiphone started producing the Riviera II for the Japan market with the same colors ar the Supernova, save the Union Jack finish. The Riviera II is the same guitar as the Supernova without the signature touches. For sake of ease, Epiphone used the same color suffix for the Riviera II and the Supernova ML. Most likely they are close to, if not, indentical colors with a little wiggle room for variation over the course of the run. After the release of the Supernova, Metalic Light Blue became a common custom color for Epiphone and is sometimes hard to differentiate from their Pelham Blue color.

once again thank you to all,it was my 1st post on here and didnt expect much back.im happier knowing the serial has some info in it,im still convinced the neck was from another guitar once apon atime.i dont know if you can see by the pics but the epiphone logo isnt inlay but some sort of transfer.i never knew his signature changed over the years,it looks like it got sloppy.the one on my scratch plate looks like it was done in pen,lol.if it is a fake it doesnt sound like one,i paid £180 for it 14yrs ago,,,,the guy probley built it himself.haha,cheers

once again thank you to all,it was my 1st post on here and didnt expect much back.im happier knowing the serial has some info in it,im still convinced the neck was from another guitar once apon atime.i dont know if you can see by the pics but the epiphone logo isnt inlay but some sort of transfer.i never knew his signature changed over the years,it looks like it got sloppy.the one on my scratch plate looks like it was done in pen,lol.if it is a fake it doesnt sound like one,i paid £180 for it 14yrs ago,,,,the guy probley built it himself.haha,cheers

The thing with the neck is that there were only a few Epiphone guitars made with the split-parallelogram inlays: The Supernova, Riviera-II & the Zephyr Regent that I know of. My biggest concern about your neck is the lack of the pearl oval/dot inlay that is supposed to be in the center of the headstock. I've looked though all of the catalogs from 1997-2005 and all of the Supernovas have them. As well, the Riviera-II and the Zephyr Regent have inlays on thier headstocks, with the exception of the Zephyr Regent version that has dot fingerboard inlays.

The thing with the neck is that there were only a few Epiphone guitars made with the split-parallelogram inlays: The Supernova, Riviera-II & the Zephyr Regent that I know of. My biggest concern about your neck is the lack of the pearl oval/dot inlay that is supposed to be in the center of the headstock. I've looked though all of the catalogs from 1997-2005 and all of the Supernovas have them. As well, the Riviera-II and the Zephyr Regent have inlays on thier headstocks, with the exception of the Zephyr Regent version that has dot fingerboard inlays.

The Zephyr Regent had dot inlays, but both the ES-295 and ES-175 have split parallelograms --- they also have crown inlays on the headstock, though, so something is a bit odd. I'd tend to suspect a different headstock overly over a replaced neck, unless there were more clear evidence of something different at the neck/body joint.

The Zephyr Regent had dot inlays, but both the ES-295 and ES-175 have split parallelograms --- they also have crown inlays on the headstock, though, so something is a bit odd. I'd tend to suspect a different headstock overly over a replaced neck, unless there were more clear evidence of something different at the neck/body joint.

Ah...the ES-175 & 295. I knew I was missing a guitar or two.

The Zephyr Regent had either split-parallelograms (1999-2005) or dots (2006-2008) depending on the year.

Also, the shape of the headstock on this Supernova look weird to me. Mainly the beveling. All of the other Supernovas I've seen on the web dont seem to have the extreme beveling this one does.

• 3 months later...

Archived