Gibson Brands Forums

The bluesiest J-45 model

livemusic

I have a 2010 standard J-45 I bought from Guitar Center, of all places. I bought it because I had become convinced I wanted a J-45 and called music stores in a 300 mile radius to find who had one in stock. Nearest was five hours way. I told them to hold it and I drove down. GC made me a very good deal and said it had been on the wall for six months and they were ready to move it. It wasn't scratched up, happy about that. I bought it, knowing they had a return policy. I first A/B'd it against other guitars in GC. Then, I took the guitar to other music stores and A/B'd it against others, including a mint Advanced Jumbo. No guitars I played were as good as the J-45, so, I came home with it.

Now, for a woody sound playing old blues, it's just stellar. (And great all around, I play many styles of music.) But I can't imagine a J-45 being better than this for the blues. But if it is, I want it!

The J-45 TV is consistently touted. I've never played one. I wonder if it's better than this. I have googled to find the differences and am left confused. Is it adi top, hot hide glue and scalloped bracing?

A J45 is the ultimate "do anything" guitar. A true, unfettered all-rounder.

If you want snappy, Charley Patton style tone from a Gibson, I'd suggest looking at the Blues King (or even the Epi EL-00, much cheaper-as were most of the original bluesmens' guitars, of course-but still great sounding if you bag a good 'un), but a J45 will get you to most places you want to go.

If moolah is no object, try and find a J45 Legend. Every one I've played insisted on Blues and Blues alone.

If moolah is no object, try and find a J45 Legend. Every one I've played insisted on Blues and Blues alone.

It really depends on what your idea of a "bluesy" sound is. I say this because many people have played the blues on many different guitars, and they all sound like the blues (well, except for Martins, to my ear anyway). In the end, I have to agree with Jinder. I think the J-45 Legend is the ultimate J-45 being produced today (possibly ever) and has a great, full woody tone. I got mine off eBay last year in "as new" condition for not much more than the MAP on a True Vintage.

Of course, there are other models of Gibsons to consider... [biggrin]

It really depends on what your idea of a "bluesy" sound is. I say this because many people have played the blues on many different guitars, and they all sound like the blues (well, except for Martins, to my ear anyway).

Amen Bro - although I would substitute Taylors for Martins.

To my ears the J-45 is just a big, banging cowboy chord playing guitar. Ain't nothing bluesy about them that I have heard. Then again, there ain't one reason in the world why you can't play some dirt-under-your-fingernails bluz on them.

Never have quite figured out what "woody" means though.

Archived