Gibson Brands Forums

What a woman....

Kelvinator

I was swapping out pickups yesterday in my 3-pup LP, when my wife came into the man-cave, handed me a little box, and said "Happy Early Birthday". She got me 3 new Lace Alumitones Humbuckers! I had 1 in my Double Cut, 1 in the SG, and now have 3 in my favorite Les Paul eusa_clap.gif . I'm so lucky to have a wonderful lady that supports my music, puts up with musicians & loud music in the basement, and me being gone on weekends or home at 3:00 AM for the last 35 years. All of us should really think about what our wives put up with. So give your wife a big hug, take her out to dinner, and tell her how much she means to you - before you mention the next piece of equipment you can't live without!

Here's the woman I love - and the other woman!

post-30959-003495800 1330369304_thumb.jpg post-30959-078793900 1330369445_thumb.jpg

How cool is that!!! When they can deal with all of the above and still give you goodies that perpetuate it, well you just count your blessings!!!!

That LP sure looks tough. How does it sound with everything working? Is it better to use just 2 or one at a time?

Sometimes those multiple p/u critters overload your signal so much they don't come through quite as well as just some (vs all).

How cool is that!!! When they can deal with all of the above and still give you goodies that perpetuate it, well you just count your blessings!!!!

That LP sure looks tough. How does it sound with everything working? Is it better to use just 2 or one at a time?

Sometimes those multiple p/u critters overload your signal so much they don't come through quite as well as just some (vs all).

I count my blessings every day. She is very special - she'd have to be to put up with me!

The LP sounds fantastic - but you know I love Alumitones. These are guitar pickups (they don't make a bass humbucker this size), and I've used them in other Gibson basses with very good results. The highs are silky-smooth, they don't have a honky or nasally midrange, and the low-end stays tight & defined. In a word, the best description would be "clear". As far using different pup combinations go - It sounds good with the neck & mid pups alone or combined, and with any combination of the three or all three. The only setting I wouldn't use would be the bridge pup only - too thin (but I feel that way about most bridge pups). There is little or no drop in volume when I add the mid and bridge pup to the neck - just change in tone. They each have separate vol controls, but only the mid & bridge are switched. The Alumitones are also very quiet, so the Aguilar OBP-3 works well with them. I just love the sound of this bass and I can't wait to play it out. [love]

What a lady!! Tell us the tonal diffs betwen the old and new pickups. How's it sound?

This bass has always sounded good - with TB+s and EMGs. I took out the TB+s (which I liked very much) because they put out a huge hum in about 1/2 the rooms I play, so in went the EMGs. The EMGs sounded good - but unremarkable, if that makes sense. Now with the Lace pups, it sounds much like it did with the TB+s - only better, clearer, just a great sound - it's really hard to describe these things, but I really really like them.

Well - I played the LP with the band last night, and I'm very happy with the sound. I found myself using the neck and the middle pups together for most things, and just the neck pup for a couple of slow songs. One thing I noticed was that low notes would distort a bit if I backed off the volume pedal or let a low note decay; there was no distortion when the pedal was floored [confused] . My Double Cut (with an Alumitone) does not have this problem, but it's a 9V preamp, and the LP is 18V; I'm gonna switch it to 9V tonight and see if that fixes it. Any other Ideas??

Well - I played the LP with the band last night, and I'm very happy with the sound. I found myself using the neck and the middle pups together for most things, and just the neck pup for a couple of slow songs. One thing I noticed was that low notes would distort a bit if I backed off the volume pedal or let a low note decay; there was no distortion when the pedal was floored [confused] . My Double Cut (with an Alumitone) does not have this problem, but it's a 9V preamp, and the LP is 18V; I'm gonna switch it to 9V tonight and see if that fixes it. Any other Ideas??

Having it distort with the pedal maxed sounds counterintuitive - you would think that's when it would be too hot. Where is your OBP-3 gain set? Is it up all the way?

It just sounds like a balancing act between the OBP-3 and the amp gain.

If the amp has a seperate gain try backing it off and let the amp do all the work. Does your amp have a padded input?

The 18v is supposed to provide more headroom at the pre for agressive technique i.e. slap/pop. Though I have a couple of 18v basses I don't do that stuff so I've never noticed a difference or had an issue between them and the 9v's. I never max them out when I play anyway. i'm interested to know how this works out.

P.S. Just out of curiosity - Do you use a pick or play fingerstyle?

Having it distort with the pedal maxed sounds counterintuitive - you would think that's when it would be too hot. Where is your OBP-3 gain set? Is it up all the way?

It just sounds like a balancing act between the OBP-3 and the amp gain.

If the amp has a seperate gain try backing it off and let the amp do all the work. Does your amp have a padded input?

The 18v is supposed to provide more headroom at the pre for agressive technique i.e. slap/pop. Though I have a couple of 18v basses I don't do that stuff so I've never noticed a difference or had an issue between them and the 9v's. I never max them out when I play anyway. i'm interested to know how this works out.

P.S. Just out of curiosity - Do you use a pick or play fingerstyle?

I was using the old Traynor head, so there is no master volume and no padded input. I do run through a Boss GT-6 which has a ton of gain & level controls, but I didn't have much time to adjust things. I run the bass wide open and control volume with the pedal and finger technique. Something is being over-driven, but who'd of thunk it would happen at lower volumes?? The bass must be over-driving the GT-6. I'll work on it tonight and let you know what happens. Worst case is I change the bass to 9V; The Double Cut is 9V and there's no problem using the same equipment and settings.

I play finger-style - rarely use a pick, but I do own one............ :unsure:

I was using the old Traynor head, so there is no master volume and no padded input. I do run through a Boss GT-6 which has a ton of gain & level controls, but I didn't have much time to adjust things. I run the bass wide open and control volume with the pedal and finger technique. Something is being over-driven, but who'd of thunk it would happen at lower volumes?? The bass must be over-driving the GT-6. I'll work on it tonight and let you know what happens. Worst case is I change the bass to 9V; The Double Cut is 9V and there's no problem using the same equipment and settings.

I play finger-style - rarely use a pick, but I do own one............ :unsure:

I'd bet that's it. Running the OBP-3 wide open makes for a really hot signal.

My preference is to lower my gain some and crank the amp a bit more. I don't like using pads unless absolutely necessary because they're quite a damper on the oomph factor. Bass around 1/2 - 2/3, amp gain around noon, then amp up to volume. That leaves some play at the bass for mix tweaks and the signal stays clean.

I used to have a pick around here somewhere.....

I'd bet that's it. Running the OBP-3 wide open makes for a really hot signal.

My preference is to lower my gain some and crank the amp a bit more. I don't like using pads unless absolutely necessary because they're quite a damper on the oomph factor. Bass around 1/2 - 2/3, amp gain around noon, then amp up to volume. That leaves some play at the bass for mix tweaks and the signal stays clean.

I used to have a pick around here somewhere.....

You're right - way too hot. I changed the preamp to 9V and that took care of the problem. At 18V, the OBP-3 has something like 18db of boost to the lows - a bit of overkill I guess. 9V works well, and now I don't have to change any presets on the GT-6. :rolleyes:

You're like me, married way outta my league [biggrin] I bought a Classic Custom in Dec. 2011, so last night she said "your b-day's coming up, why don't you get a new guitar" [woot]

I think I'll keep her another 28 yrs [thumbup] your "other" lady looks good too.

TC

Ha! I know! She's 56 and still looks great - after 2 kids, 3 grand-kids, and putting up with me for 35 years, I don't know how she does it. I still look at her and wonder what she's doing with me. [confused]

Happy birthday and enjoy your new guitar!

Ha! I know! She's 56 and still looks great - after 2 kids, 3 grand-kids, and putting up with me for 35 years, I don't know how she does it. I still look at her and wonder what she's doing with me. [confused]

Happy birthday and enjoy your new guitar!

[/quote

You are a very brave man tossing her age out there for everyone to see [scared]{mine's the same age too} [biggrin] It sounds like we are both blessed with our soulmates [thumbup]. Of the 11 guitars I own, she's bought 5 of them for me. I'd be lost without her [crying]. I think it helps to have a great lady with you, if you want to be any kind of musician. [thumbup] Thanks for the b-day wishes, this will make 59. Now just have to decide on which guitar. [confused] Best to you and your beautiful lady. {and the bass too [laugh]}

TC

You are a very brave man tossing her age out there for everyone to see [scared]{mine's the same age too} [biggrin] It sounds like we are both blessed with our soulmates [thumbup]. Of the 11 guitars I own, she's bought 5 of them for me. I'd be lost without her [crying]. I think it helps to have a great lady with you, if you want to be any kind of musician. [thumbup] Thanks for the b-day wishes, this will make 59. Now just have to decide on which guitar. [confused] Best to you and your beautiful lady. {and the bass too [laugh]}

TC

Well.... I guess we could both be in trouble for mentioning ages. It's a good thing she never looks at this forum [scared] .

I'll be 40-19 in a couple of days too - Geeezzz - I never thought I'd see 50! Just think - next year we can look forward to Old-Fart Gag Gifts [cursing]

You're right - way too hot. I changed the preamp to 9V and that took care of the problem. At 18V, the OBP-3 has something like 18db of boost to the lows - a bit of overkill I guess. 9V works well, and now I don't have to change any presets on the GT-6. :rolleyes:

Great! That was easy enough.

Having a little extra is better than not having enough but those OBP-3's are pretty ferocious at 9v. I have one in my Spector (@9v)and I never found myself in a situation where I needed to crank it all the way. Just too much!

Great! That was easy enough.

Having a little extra is better than not having enough but those OBP-3's are pretty ferocious at 9v. I have one in my Spector (@9v)and I never found myself in a situation where I needed to crank it all the way. Just too much!

18V worked fine with the EMGs, but the Alumitones are a lot more responsive. It's nice when a fix is actually easy [biggrin] .

18V worked fine with the EMGs, but the Alumitones are a lot more responsive. It's nice when a fix is actually easy [biggrin] .

For sure. EMG's are (very) low impedance which is why they need a battery anyway. Putting a hot pre on them is fine. my Spector has EMG's and it kicks.

I've found that with some p/u's that are designed to work passively, it's not always conducive to put a pre on them because they're already cranking out more than enough signal.

I have a J bass with Nordstrand Big Singles, which are the biggest straight single coil Jazz pickup you could stuff into that housing. They are extremely hot and it took a bit tweaking with the height to string setup to achieve maximum response without getting wolf tones. I see some folks put pre's on them and I just don't get it. :-k Oh well, whatever works I guess.

Archived