Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Modern Classic mahogany

brannon67

I have a j45 mc made in 08. It sounds better than most ofthe new j45 standards I have played inshops, but mine is well played in verse the new ones in the shop. I have onlyplayed one j45 tv, but it had some issues. As you know the bracing in the tv isa wider X pattern than the mc, or standard. I have not been able to determineif there is a difference in bracing pattern between the mc and standard, orwhat it is if there is a difference. Thebest new j45 I’ve was a 68 reissue. I use DR Sunbeams 12s on it. It has astrong but mellow base. The mids are warm and sweet, while the highs are sweetand rounded as opposed to shrill and piercing. I flat pick and play in thesound hole area. I silicified with mine, though all the talk about the TV withthe Adi top and Aj bracing makes me wonder sometimes. Hope this helps.

ChasAK

Brannon67, I don't have the J45 but I did purchase an SJ modern classic, which I believe is a J45 with more bling ? I could be wrong though.

It came with PB mediums and initially, the tone was lacking.

The lacking tone could have been cuz of the mediums OR the fact that I had just got done with a 6 month Martin kick and my ears were adjusting to the Gibson tone.

Anyway, I switched over to PB lights and the tone improved measurably.

What I find with my Gibsons is that after a long Martin kick, my ears need to tonally adjust to truly enjoy the Gibson tone.

As everyone says, they are truly apples and oranges and if you have an inkling of the Gibson tone gene you know what I'm talking about.

In any event, after adjusting to the tone of my SJ, I can't put it down and will play that guitar for months and months to come until I get bored and crave the Martin sound.

It truly goes round and round in circles if you have both brands.

The SJ ain't loud or anything, but the woody subdued tone can become truly addicting.

Trust me, I know :)

Harmonics101

Anyone have or played the J45 Modern Classic mahogany model. They sell for $1999.99. I was wondering how they play and sound.

..some do sound nice,..best to play first and compare a few. Grovers are not ideal IMO....better to get a second model before MC era with Klusons...

[smile]

Woodwind & Brass has an 06 model for sail. I believe it is pre-grover. I agree, I do not care for my ugly and heavy grovers on my j45.

That would be what I'd be after. Also these often pop up on the BAY....

Correct me if I'm wrong Chas but I thing the Changeover to Modern Classic (..and Grovers) started in 2008....

:-k

Archived