Gibson Brands Forums

The pitfalls of a nitro finish

Rabs

Every once in awhile somebody comes on here and says their stand wrecked their finish. Then somebody tells them to wrap it with cotton. Then, just as sure as the sun rises, some other people come on here and insist that the foam on their particular favorite stand is fine. Then everybody starts arguing about it.

I wonder how long it took Hercules to lawyer out the disclaimer that Rocketman posted that basically says "Our stands are safe but maybe not."

I have 2 Hercules stands. They're great. I wrap them with cloth, too.

You guys be the guinea pigs. I'm too poor.

Guest farnsbarns

I paint over all of my nitro guitars with polyurethane clear coat paint to keep them from wearing.

I have a Highway 1 telecaster and haven't had 1 problem with it

Really, that's interesting, I'd love to see a close up pic of a Gibson with poly over nitro to see how that would work.

I paint over all of my nitro guitars with polyurethane clear coat paint to keep them from wearing.

I have a Highway 1 telecaster and haven't had 1 problem with it

Read the following in relation to the Highway 1 Telecaster you haven't had a finish problem with yet....

Fyi, I'm the guy with the relic'd Telecaster that the original poster wanted to know.

First of all to the original poster, Your relic is basically burned.

My relic looks more natural, mainly because a lot of wear on it IS natural.

The best way to relic something is to let age do it.

I do think that you done a good job to the plastic parts though, because they look old and yellowish

I started off with a Black Fender Highway One Telecaster.

It took awhile to wear down the paint for what was done naturally.

For the most part, the paint wore off naturally, because of a Nitro finish.

Sometimes when you wear off Nitro the paint starts to chip (You can see in the pictures that it has chipped in places)

The rest I done with a real fine steel wool and old pair of blue jeans. Seriously!

I scraped the bottom horn really gently on a sinder block, LOL.

I drilled a hole for a lefty on the bottom horn as well.

Stabbed it with a screwdriver carefully and scratched to perfection with a tiny pocket knife.

Most importantly, I gigged with it 4 times.

I also play it everyday and sometimes take it places.

The Hardware is still shiny, but I'll let age do the trick

Believe it or not the neck wear is natural.

(This thread is fun) Reliced guitars are super sweet!

Heres some photos!

telecaster006.jpg

telecaster002-1.jpg

telecaster001-1.jpg

telecaster003-1.jpg

telecaster004.jpg

I'm not posting more than 5 pictures at a time. I think that pretty well covers it.

This guitar is named "cow" btw. It reminds me of a milk cow when I look at it.

The above quote can be found here, http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/82944-crazy-strat-relic-again/page__st__20

I'd like to know why someone would put poly over poly. (Fender)

The Highway 1 Series are supposed to have a thin layer of nitro finish on them, I know my Highway 1 Telecaster has worn quicker than my other guitars... whether it's actually poly or nitro I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Ouch, that's a bummer. Something cool about nitrocellulose lacquer is it's repairable. I got used LP Special a few years back. The previous owner kept it on one of those stands with the rubber tubing. Doh! [crying]

A luthier friend of mine fixed it for me...

Before:

image004.jpg

After some sanding:

image005.jpg

After:

0010.jpg

Since I've played it, the repaired areas have hazed a little, but it's a lot better than it was.

Ouch, that's a bummer. Something cool about nitrocellulose lacquer is it's repairable. I got used LP Special a few years back. The previous owner kept it on one of those stands with the rubber tubing. Doh! [crying]

A luthier friend of mine fixed it for me...

Before:

image004.jpg

After some sanding:

image005.jpg

After:

0010.jpg

Since I've played it, the repaired areas have hazed a little, but it's a lot better than it was.

Now I've had my Highway 1 Telecaster on it's stand regularly over the past year and have not had any issues, kind of makes me wonder if it's actually nitro.

Another thign to be aware of. Underneath that beautiful crushed velour which cradles your guitar, is foam rubber to give your baby a soft place to live. Keep an eye on that velour. If it wears through to the rubber underneath. Get the velour repaired. Depending on how much you travel with your guitar, jostling it against the velour, wearing through could take decades. So, if you have any vintage lying around inspect the case, especially in the area of the neck cradle. I've seen it happen and the finish gets ugly.

Archived