Gibson Brands Forums

The pitfalls of a nitro finish

Rabs

So I posted these on another topic but its lead me to want to know what other peoples experiences are with this..

So the first LP I bought I was warned about the fact that some stands will eat the nitro away, so as a precaution I have since covered my stands armrest and back rest in a cotton cloth (usualy an old tshirt) and have never had an issue with that..

When I got my 60s tribute I had to buy a new stand as I had run out and I like to display my guitars.. So I covered the armrests as per normal (THANK GOD!!) but the back rest just had a small foam pad on it rather than an arm like the old ones I had, and cos it was a brand new Quicklok stand I just assumed that it would be ok as most seem to be nitro friendly these days..

WRONG..... TOTAL FAIL !!!

So one day I pick it up an notice the below pics.... AHHHHHHH!! So anyone whos new to Gibsons PLEASE be aware.. the guitar shop guys dont always tell you these things. Luckily as I say I covered the armrests or I hate to think what may have happened to this lovely guitar.. I have tried to polish that out but it doesnt budge so will need to be sanded and re-sprayed.. And I have some nitro spray left from when I did up my DC faded so may attempt it myself.. But also I dread to think what would have happened if I had put my 2008 standard on that stand (it makes me sick to think about that).. Well there you go, lesson learned the hard way [unsure]

2012-03-07143544.jpg

2012-03-07143607.jpg

by the way this is the culprit.. A Quicklok QL631a

QL631a.jpg

Wow! Sorry to hear about the damage. I've heard about this but have never actually seen what a stand can do to nitro. I leave my Gibson basses on stands or wall-hangers all the time. So far there haven't been any problems, but I'm gonna cut up a T-shirt today! Thanks for the heads up, and good luck with fixing it. At least lacquer can be repaired without a total re-fin.

Guest farnsbarns

Yikes! yea there isn't such a thing as nitro-friendly foam....

Absolutely. There was one outfit claiming "nitro safe" but they stopped. I guess it got expensive paying for refinishes.

Wow! Sorry to hear about the damage. I've heard about this but have never actually seen what a stand can do to nitro. I leave my Gibson basses on stands or wall-hangers all the time. So far there haven't been any problems, but I'm gonna cut up a T-shirt today! Thanks for the heads up, and good luck with fixing it. At least lacquer can be repaired without a total re-fin.

Yeah its quite frightening.. It litterally dissolves the finish like an acid.. then it has kind of re-hardened with bits of the foam imbedded in it which is where the black colour has come from..

Guest farnsbarns

Yeah its quite frightening.. It litterally dissolves the finish like an acid.. then it has kind of re-hardened with bits of the foam imbedded in it which is where the black colour has come from..

I believe the damage is done by gasses coming from the foam. I also believe it's worse with a new stand, and/or a new guitar, seems you had the perfect storm there with both being new.

Surely there should be some comeback from the stand maker. It's a guitar stand, so it should be safe for a guitar to sit on. I'd contact where you bought it. Tell them you're getting a solicitor onto it. You may get the repair done for free then. As a guitar shop they should know about this.

Ouch!

Very sorry to read about your damage Rabs.

Unfortunately, no matter how many threads get posted about this, there's a steady stream of uniformed owners that suffer this type of damage. No matter what the manufacturer claims about their stands being nitro safe, I cover the contact points with unbleached cotton cloths - yep, some dyes (particularly blues and reds) can leach through the nitro and get into certain finishes (like white) and the binding, leaving a nasty stain.

As foam/rubber nitro burns go, that one is pretty bad, but I've seen worse - on the neck behind and around the nut from a wallhanger, and about half-way down the neck from a stand arm.

At least the damage is on the back - flat and easy to fix and buff.

I wish you the best with the repair. . B)

Surely there should be some comeback from the stand maker. It's a guitar stand, so it should be safe for a guitar to sit on. I'd contact where you bought it. Tell them you're getting a solicitor onto it. You may get the repair done for free then. As a guitar shop they should know about this.

I got this through Amazon.. to be honest I doubt that I could get anything back.. but may look into it

Guest farnsbarns

I think that's what I'd do too, assuming there's no sign of a disclaimer on the packaging.

Ouch!

Very sorry to read about your damage Rabs.

Unfortunately, no matter how many threads get posted about this, there's a steady stream of uniformed owners that suffer this type of damage.

As foam/rubber nitro burns go, that one is pretty bad, but I've seen worse - on the neck behind and around the nut from a wallhanger, and about half-way down the neck from a stand arm.

At least the damage is on the back - flat and easy to fix and buff.

I wish you the best with the repair. . B)

Thanks..

And yeah its dissapointing to say the least (and ive had a Gibson since 1993 so was a silly mistake on my part).. BUT as you say could have been way worse.. youd think that with Gibson being one of the largest of not the largest guitar company in the wolrd that it would be a selling point to have nitro friendly stands (maybe theres a gap in the market there ? ;))

Guest farnsbarns

Thanks..

And yeah its dissapointing to say the least (and ive had a Gibson since 1993 so was a silly mistake on my part).. BUT as you say could have been way worse.. youd think that with Gibson being one of the largest of not the largest guitar company in the wolrd that it would be a selling point to have nitro friendly stands (maybe theres a gap in the market there ? ;))

I have often wondered why Gibson don't make a nitro safe stand. They should be able to sell one with almost every guitar. Seems bonkers to me. Maybe there's a good reason but it escapes me.

Yup, this gets discussed about every other month here.

Bottom line, assume all stands will destroy a nitro finish. Terry cloth towel/hand towel/wash cloth between soft spongy stuff on the guitar stand is a given.

I have two Gibson guitars in my collection as my name suggests. I own one cheesy guitar stand and I just lay terrycloth cotton towels over the foam rubber when I use the guitars. Both guitars are kept in cases when not in use.I dont display guitars in my house because I have grand children and great grand children that show up all the time-better safe than sorry. These are expensive musical instruments not toys or trophies.

These are expensive musical instruments not toys or trophies.

Totally, I agree.. I usually take really good care with my guitars, this was an obvious oversight where I just made a stupid assumption without thinking about it fully... But I have five Gibsons and one is over ten years old now and are all in almost perfect condition.. (obviously apart from this one :P)

But I am thankful I can display them as I live alone so no kids to worry about.. I like looking at them almost as much as I like playing them, they are like the ultimate functional art :)

DSC01214.jpg

OUCH!!!! Sorry about that. The only time my guitars have been in a stand without a cloth to cover the foam is for a quick pic and that's it. Fortunately some friends warned me in advance not to trust any stand with my Gibsons, ever. No matter what guitar it is, I keep that foam covered.

Hope you can correct it on your own.

To avoid nitro deterioration, I just keep the guitar in the case.

To avoid almsot any type of deterioration, or damage, I keep my guitars in their cases.

I know what they look like, I don't feel the need to display them. I'll be happy to pull them out, if someone comes over and wants to see them.

I was about 14, had saved enough money (paper route, mowing lawns) to buy a new (at that time) Cherry 2 pup, vibrato, Melody Maker. I used to keep it in a stand, anyway, somehow, the closet door came open, my bb gun fell out and gouged a 2" long 1/4" deep scratch on my beautiful MM. At that point, and ever since, the guitars go in the cases, when not being used.

Hercules Stands.

Mine never come off them unless I'm packing one out to gig.

Gig over, back on stand. Been doing it for years and never a problem.

I had to leave town suddenly a few years back and 5 CS guitars stayed on the stands the the entire time.

Four Months to be exact.

Here's what the Hercules Stands website says:

As a professional stand manufacturer, HERCULES goes to great lengths to provide the highest quality and the most secure stands. HERCULES had conducted numerous experiments on our SFF foam and is pleased to find that it does not react with most of the guitar finishes in the market, including Nitrocellulose. The tests included subjecting the instruments on the stand to heat, cold and normal temperatures for periods of up to six months without movement.

However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with differing proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to provide your valuable guitars with the best support, we recommend you to refer to your instrument's owners manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument.

Archived