Gibson Brands Forums

Off to the dealer to do some horse (guitar) trading

LPDEN

Every Epiphone in my sig has been perfect from the start. Some only needing a set of new stprings and the '06 Alley cat just needed a quick pot cleaning.

So my take is Epi's have been quite excellent and consistant from the beginning...

That's good to hear! I can hardly wait for my 339 to come.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surfing the net looking at fellow '62 Wilshire USA owners' guitars. While doing so, I learned how some Alpine White Models had issues where the rear of the guitar's headstock just above the neck would come in contact with the dealer's padded guitar hanger and turned the finish slightly yellow in those 2 contact spots. I immediately was wondering if mine had those marks because I hadn't noticed any as I really didn't look all that close as I recalled. Well, I bee-lined downstairs to my music room and took the Wilshire out of the case for a closer inspection. Sure enough, two small yellowing spots on either side that I hadn't noticed prior. Since this is a nitro finish, it's obvious the white would be the first to show hue changes, especially in areas of contact like this where there may have been a reaction with the nitro. It doesn't bother me really because I expect that over the years this guitar with it's it's nitro finish is going to change turn the Alpine White to a pale yellowish hue anyhow and this area will eventually begin to blend.

Just the same I called the dealer and left a message about it. He called me back and of course they weren't aware of it either, but assured me they'd make good on it. He said that they in fact had another Wilshire USA in stock but in Cherry that he wasn't aware of until he physically looked after getting my message. He left it off giving me my choice of the following offers:

1. A full cash refund;
  2. A -$100 price reduction on the White model;
  3. Swap the the White one for the Cherry , plus the -$100 price reduction with the caveat that the Cherry one has a small 1/4" finish imperfection on the back that he said looks like the nitro got smudged;
  4. Or, keep the White one and he would give me a really good deal on the Cherry Wilshire (near his cost which is far better than the -$100 price cut combined).

So now I have a decision to make. I'm able to take any option. As I mentioned, the White one is doesn't bother me all that much that it has this staining reaction from the guitar hanger, and I really love the guitar anyhow. I could use the -$100 adjustment towards another guitar. But when I started thinking about how much I like this Wilshire and having the choice from the start I may have gone with the Cherry, I may not get another chance to have the pair from this '09 run in one of each finish for less than the cost of what I would have had to pay for just one actual vintage example.

So what would you do given the circumstance I find myself in???

Yeah, maybe at first, Brian it was a bit mind rattling. But I am pretty cool with it all. Guitars can't stay perfect forever anyhow so of course the most viable options based on how I feel are 2, 3 & 4.

1332123257[/url]' post='1153898']

I'd keep the white one and take the $100 discount. If they don't go too deep the stains maybe fixed with t-cut or similar.

I'm going to sleep on it, but I've taken well to the Whiwte Wilshire in the short time I have owned. I Don't see myself moving it out for such a trivial cosmetic issue. So, yes, 2 and 4 seem to be the most in play for me.

1332123344[/url]' post='1153899']

I'd take the deal on the cherry and have the pair, and I wouldn't have stopped to think about it either...

Fortunately, my wife liked the Wilshire when I demo'ed it for her via my VOX AC15 the day I took it home. That could help #4 become a reality...

1332126526[/url]' post='1153932']

Take the discount, and then...play the Hell out of it! [thumbup][biggrin]

Also, if it's barely noticeable, you might try some Meguier's

(non silicon) car wax, to (gently) rub it out.

CB

I'm certainly going to keep my White Wilshire. I commonly prefer to buy new reissues of the great vintage models they are built after rather than spending more $$ for a true vintage instrument that typically can have issues from years of neglect or abuse. These are great examples of such a guitar I really love to play. In my mind if I able to acquire the second one in Cherry, it wil serve me well as a player for many years to come too. P-90's are my favorite pickups to have in a guitar, and I always liked the Wilshire and Coronet bodies far more than the SG's. So in that realm another Gibson Custom Shop Epi Wilshire USA reissue is easliy justified, especially at the discount being offered. I'll know by the end of today which direction I end up on this choice.

Although my immediate preference would be the red one (love being able to see the wood), I'd A-B them very closely & keep the best player. Keeping two of the exact same model kind of bugs me because one invariable will be preferred to the other, and #2 ends up getting traded off. On a number of purchases in the past few years, I've been fortunate enough to have three or even four of the same instrument to compare. Every time, a very clear winner emerged after revealing some astonishing differences. Take full advantage of your opportunity to do the comparison, and btw, sounds like you have an excellent dealer!

Here is the best shot I can get to show the small finish blem on the back of the Cherry model for which the dealer in consideration for this and the yellowing on the rear of the White model's headstock allowed me to acquire the red model at cost.

SAM_0015.jpg

Although my immediate preference would be the red one (love being able to see the wood), I'd A-B them very closely & keep the best player. Keeping two of the exact same model kind of bugs me because one invariable will be preferred to the other, and #2 ends up getting traded off. On a number of purchases in the past few years, I've been fortunate enough to have three or even four of the same instrument to compare. Every time, a very clear winner emerged after revealing some astonishing differences. Take full advantage of your opportunity to do the comparison, and btw, sounds like you have an excellent dealer!

Yes, I brought the White one with me when i left the house this morning. When I had time during the lunch hour I shot over to the dealer and compared bith side by side. There was no loser, they're both spectacular. The only difference was the appearance of the finish, and that the Cherry one just had it's fretboard treated so it was a little oily (and darker as can bee seen in the side-by-side pic above). I'll treat the White Wilshire's fretboard tonight... There's enough room and playing time that each will be enjoyed equally over the years...

Another angle of the pair side-by-side....

SAM_0007.jpg

When I made the recommendation to take the $100 I was foolishly taking my financial situation into account, not yours, that you could afford the second willy is fantastic and I think you made the right decision, congrats and HNGD again.

Congrats on the Twins....

I think the dealer never ever sold two of this in this short period of time

so he might be happy too

Thanks. And I agree about the dealer being happy too to move these on as he had them for nearly 3 years. I'm quite happy with the savings which combined is pretty substantial off the regular retail price for basically minor blemishes.

When I made the recommendation to take the $100 I was foolishly taking my financial situation into account, not yours, that you could afford the second willy is fantastic and I think you made the right decision, congrats and HNGD again.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm very excited about these 2 guitars, and I hope my enthusiasm for them isn't coming off as gloating, I'm just truly overjoyed to have these after wanting one since they debuted.

Wow, LPDEN...you've had quite a week! Congratulations! No doubt, your dealer LOVES you! [biggrin]

CB

I suppose so.. Though it wouldn't had been possible without moving the '09 50th R9 out though which by itself was a big financial commitment and anchor of sorts...

Archived