Gibson Brands Forums

GAS Attack At Gruhns

John Lee Walker

Got to spend the day in Nashville, TN, today, and visited Gruhns. I love that store. Played around on a couple of gits, a J185, and Western Classic. But the one that really got my attention was the new Martin M-21 Steve Earle Signature Model. What a sweet guitar. No frills, no bling, just nice and basic and the tone was beautiful. I used to own a Martin many years ago - a D18 - and haven't really been that interested in them since my first Gibson, but this certain guitar is a must for my collection. I must say Steve Earle knows how to design a guitar.

I think I got GAS again...

He should know how to tell Martin how to build a guitar. He's been a Gibson player for years.

touche'! i don't know what it is about martins but they pretty much do nothing for me. it's an aesthetic thing i suppose. fine guitars but god are they dull looking. screwy priorities you might say but, why not have great tone and beauty! i saw steve playing an original jumbo reissue on some tv thing with roseanne cash awhile back. had to have one, got it, love it. sounds great and looks great.

I know what Jannus is saying....if the guitar doesn't inspire you....you won't play it.....I'm an old Martin guy from way back....but Martin has become somewhat like the Honda of guitar makers. Massive numbers, great quality control....good design, but it just doesn't move me.....I've played a lot of Martins, and although the quality control beats Gibsons hands down, I still think that Gibson's have the better sound and that "gotcha" factor that is hard to describe....Congradulations on your new guitar, sound is everything.....play til your fingers bleed

Yeah, like I said, it was a very basic Martin in some regard, but I guess it's their version of a modest jumbo. Playability was fantastic, great action, and the tone was remarkable. I think it was the neck that got my attention. Almost felt like a good vintage Tele. They told me you can get them in sunburst, too. Doesn't come with electronics, but that's optional. Signed on the inside bond sticker by Mr Earle and Umanov.

Think black/gold witch hat knobs would look good on there? :D

Hi John Lee! I saw you on here and I just looked up some of your posts and saw that you toured with Skynyrd and realized I have seen you before! I wanted to tell you I saw you guys open for them at the house of blues in Orlando a few years ago. That was a great show. I really liked the part where you and your singer Jack came out and sat down with acoustics and played the blues and some funny songs. Also at Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa. I also wanted to say I was very sorry to hear that he passed away this year. That is so sad.

Nance

Yeah' date=' like I said, it was a very basic Martin in some regard, but I guess it's their version of a modest jumbo. Playability was fantastic, great action, and the tone was remarkable. I think it was the neck that got my attention. Almost felt like a good vintage Tele. They told me you can get them in sunburst, too. Doesn't come with electronics, but that's optional. Signed on the inside bond sticker by Mr Earle and Umanov.

Think black/gold witch hat knobs would look good on there? =D>[/quote']

The M series Martins are the sleepers of the whole line. They project amazingly well and have the quality you expect from the brand. I had an M-35 from the 80s and it was an exceptional guitar. I played the frets flat in four years. I believe the necks intentionally had a radius that would attract electric players who were crossing over and while I agree with Jannusguy about the plain nature of a Martin - they can do for the ears what they fail to do for the eyes.

Hey, thanks, fretgirl. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Of all the shows we've done with Skynyrd and other bands, I've always liked playing the House of Blues venues the best. More of an intimate setting than the large halls and whatnot. Thanks, again, for the condolences for Jack. He is missed very much.

Hey, ballcorner, nice M there. Your description of them being the 'sleepers' of their line is right on. I've never picked up a Martin that I really liked and had to have (or gave me GAS:) But, this one is exceptional when it comes to sound and tonality. I liked everything about it, even the fact that there is virtually no bling to it. The smooth feel and playabilty of the neck is what sold me. I wouldn't ever go out and buy a guitar simply for the fact that it was someone's signature model or was endorsed by someone I admired, but I will eventually buy this one because of the quality and sound and the overall feel. Then again, the mere fact that is was designed by Mr. Earle is an added bonus.

And, I happen to think Steve Earle is one of the best songwriters in America today, and I'd stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and tell him so:)

John Lee-I agree with your Steve Earle assessment. He is a great writer plus he is friends with Guy Clark and the late Townes V. I believe Rodney Crowell ran in that crown too and he's a pretty fair songwriter also. I'm also a fan of Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett who ran together at Texas A&M, I believe. I think there's a lot of great writers hanging around Austin, Texas these days. Need to go there!

Yeah, TWislon, Austin definitely rocks. Used to be my home away from home. We played the old Vulcan Gas Company club and Antones back then and I had the pleasure to meet Stevie Ray when he was playing there backing up Lou Ann Barton one night. Very memorable evening. Actually shared a hooter with him and Kim Wilson on the T-Birds bus. Those were the days huh

Austin has always been a hotbed for great songwriters. One of my favorites is good ol' Ray Wylie Hubbard. He has written so many damn good songs, and it's a shame that most people only know him for 'Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother'. If you explored his whole catalog, you'd realize that's probably one of his weakest songs. I could go on forever on Austin. Love that place and the Americana music scene. The current scene there kinda reminds me of the Nashville outlaw movement in the mid-70s. Gotta love them outlaws.

I had a 1983 Marting M-38, which had a narrow nut and slim neck....I could never get used to. HOWEVER, that being said....that guitar sounded GREAT. The M-38 has a jumbo sized body, with the thinckness of an OM guitar.....easy to play, slim body unlike a dreadnaught......If that guitar had a 1 3/4" neck, I would still own it.....traded it for a brand new Martin Eric Clapton 000-28 EC....which was a great guitar....LOVED that modified "V" neck....Let us not despair for the ones that got away....lol

Archived