Gibson Brands Forums

testing testing wantoo wantoo

blindboygrunt

am gonna gather up some cash and get myself a decent vocal mic . i use a sennheiser at the minute , an evolution , works alright but i'll clutch any straw that might make me sound better .

the shure sm58 seems to be the top dog , but any you guys know of some secrets that are lesser known ?

cheers

Shures are sure good and robust...at various price points...wired or wireless [thumbup]

Perhaps stating the obvious...a couple of sessions with a vocal coach can be life changing

Sorting out breath control and range strength will automatically improve vocal tone etc

Playing any wind instrument is also beneficial...tin whistle, recorder, harmonica etc

V

:-({|=

Shure's SM58 is definitely the tried-and-true workhorse of the stage, having proven itself for decades around the world. Used one for many years myself, and the Beta 58 as well.....both great mics. But for the last two or three years I worked on a stage I used an Electro-Voice N/D967.....wow! This is the live performance vocal mic. Incredibly crisp and "alive", it was head and shoulders above the three other SM58 vocal mics on-stage with my last band. Check it out here.....N/D967.

Shure's SM58 is definitely the tried-and-true workhorse of the stage, having proven itself for decades around the world. Used one for many years myself, and the Beta 58 as well.....both great mics. But for the last two or three years I worked on a stage I used an Electro-Voice N/D967.....wow! This is the live performance vocal mic. Incredibly crisp and "alive", it was head and shoulders above the three other SM58 vocal mics on-stage with my last band. Check it out here.....N/D967.

Right Buc, the EV N/D967 is another great vocal mic...

In the past I also worked with the AUDIX OM7, and I liked it a lot.

BBG, have you the chance to try some of these mics?

Right Buc, the EV N/D967 is another great vocal mic...

In the past I also worked with the AUDIX OM7, and I liked it a lot.

BBG, have you the chance to try some of these mics?

thanks guys , my knowledge is limited , never heard of either of those two mics and as you say , great write ups. seems everything is round the same price bracket .

and no ritchie , wont have the chance , it will most likely be an ebay purchase when i get round to it . so i thought this place would be a good place to get advice ... there's a few a-holes but a lot of experience and knowledge also .

thanks again.

I'd opt for a Shure SM58

basically you can't go wrong, and one of the main reasons these are the industry standard as well as the response of the mic is

they are virtually indestructible

drop em.... shock em.. hit some one round the bonce with em and they still work perfectly

classic design with that big metal grille protecting everything

the Beta is apparently a little more responsive but for the extra 50 odd euro.. unless ya gonna be playing to arena's ..I see little point for live situations

SM58 is well used, and for good reasons, It sounds OK with most vocalists, is very reliable rugged etc. which makes it a good touring mic, hence its popularity (which doesn't necessarily make it top dog peformance wise) But it may not suit your voice and if you are buying for yourself it pays to test and choose.

People do use condensers for live work and you can get battery power ones as opposed to phantom power or provide your own phantom supply freeing you up from assuming the PA man has 48v available and then finding he doesnt and getting stuck without a working mic.

Have a read through this, a lot of focus on studio stuff, but worth the read for back ground

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/vocalmics.htm there is some stuff on dynamics towards the bottom

And it gives the following good advice

When it comes to choosing mics for vocalists, it really does pay to try several out, side by side and under blind-test conditions.

Also beware of cheap SM58s as there are fakes out there for sale

but any you guys know of some secrets that are lesser known ?

Sure...I know of some lesser known mics...for example I have some Beyer Dynamics M-69 mics that I like a lot...but if you want it for your voice you ought to try a few different mics and see which ones work with YOUR voice. For example, I have a box full of mics but I like the EV 767 for MY voice. It's got a midrange hump right in a place that makes my voice sound thick and full.

Shure 58s are great but when I'm on mic give me a 767. That's why a good sound guy will have a box full of mics...so he can pull the right one for the job...so go to a shop where you can demo a few different mics...or buy them used and start building YOUR OWN box of mics...

appreciate the help guys .

i didnt think a certain mic would match a certain voice ... never wouldve crossed my mind . every day is a day at school .

hairy dave lives near me so i'm hoping he'll back me up on this , but i have never , ever , nor could i even imagine someone in a music shop with a bunch of mics singing into each one :-)

i think the shop guy would be searching for the candid camera

interesting the EV mic keeps getting a mention

cheers guys

If you want something that works every time you take it out the box and can take the knocks etc…. then go for an SM58 (see my previous post concerning fakes though, if things are cheap then they are cheap for a reason)

If you want something matched to your voice then you have to go and test, no other way to do this I am afraid.

If you want something that works every time you take it out the box and can take the knocks etc…. then go for an SM58 (see my previous post concerning fakes though, if things are cheap then they are cheap for a reason)

If you want something matched to your voice then you have to go and test, no other way to do this I am afraid.

thanks greg , the 58 must have something going for it when even a novice like me has heard of it

the different mics for voices intrigues me though , the variations in the p.a. to ever know

or maybe you're talking studio settings

and then , for example , a baritone would be better on a diffrent mic than a soprano ? or am i not understanding something?

thanks for your input , much appreciated

No I am not talking studio, but the concepts are the same. Every ones voice resonates differently and each mic will react differently to your uniqure voice that's the point.

I also wanted to add. If you record electric guitar, then an SM58 with the grill / shield removed is pretty much the same as an SM57, which is very commonly used for micing up guitar cabs. So you sort of get double bubble with an SM58.

Archived