Gibson Brands Forums

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

STAR CHILD

I only play what I like but there is one type of record/CD/tape that I have issues with and I dare say that many others do too and that's compilation recordings.I have bought lots of compilation recordings because many of them contain obscure out of production songs and that's the only way to get copies of them.The big problem with compilations is that although they may very well contain rare gems they may also contain some songs that you find repulsive so that you have to dash over to the stereo and delete that track or lift the needle to another track or fast forward the tape. I recently bought such a CD that contained Smile a Little Smile....Rosemarie by the flying Machine but it also had songs by Anne Murray and The 5th Dimension who are artists that make me urge.As Steve Earle once so eloquently put: "Sometimes you have to wade through shite to get to the good stuff."

I only play what I like but there is one type of record/CD/tape that I have issues with and I dare say that many others do too and that's compilation recordings.I have bought lots of compilation recordings because many of them contain obscure out of production songs and that's the only way to get copies of them.The big problem with compilations is that although they may very well contain rare gems they may also contain some songs that you find repulsive so that you have to dash over to the stereo and delete that track or lift the needle to another track or fast forward the tape. I recently bought such a CD that contained Smile a Little Smile....Rosemarie by the flying Machine but it also had songs by Anne Murray and The 5th Dimension who are artists that make me urge.As Steve Earle once so eloquently put: "Sometimes you have to wade through shite to get to the good stuff."

I agree,what I've done is go to amazon.com or the itunes store to find some old & obscure songs. They're usually only .99 cents and you can download them to your computer and make your own compliation cds. Back in the day, I use to buy an album for one song. [thumbdn] expensive [cursing]

TC

I'm still buying albums/CDs for the sake of one song because I'm not technically savy when it comes to computers.I can set up a PA system with the crossovers,effects,amps etc. and any other band related equipment but to try and download a song or anything at all for that Matter-no can do,the same goes for down and uploading Photobucket images.I also like to have the liner notes of the albums that I,m listening to and that's something that you don't get when you download just a single song or a whole album for that matter.

Re. obscure recordings: Rhinodisc has a fabulous catalogue of rare songs,albums and compilations from the 60s and 70s in particular,as well CD Universe has an incredible selection of rare albums: http://www.cduniverse.com I've tried really hard to stump them coming up with albums that I thought that nobody could possibly have but they do.

Archived