Gibson Brands Forums

My baby is damaged :(

JohnnyReb

Well after having back surgery 3 weeks ago I've become reckless in taking care of guitar I suppose. I can barely get down to take it out of the case. I cannot put it back in so I leave it on a guitar stand and leave it overnite and my wife puts it away when she gets up in the morning. Tonight I opened the case for another late night picking session and I almost fainted. I saw a bright white spot on my beautifully 2010 Advanced Jumbo that was not there before. After a closer look I saw that it was a dent the size of the nail on my pinky finger and clear down to the wood! Which explains the white spot. I wish I could post pics but I can't seem to on my iPad. It's on the lower bout where my arm lays across it when in playing. So not only do I have a sore back, I have a broken heart. What's worse is I have no idea how it happened. But I suspect one of the three children in my household know and I aim to get to the bottom of it tomorrow. I suppose I shouldn't have assumed I could leave it out for someone else to put away without tragedy. Anyways, what am I in for having this repaired. I assume it will have to be filled with laquer. Anybody have any experience with how pricey this will be? I can live with scratches and a few small dings, but this one I cannot. It jumps out at me and tears my heart every time I see it

The chip shouldn't be too costly, its all just cosmetic- don't be tough on your kids - everybody breaks a window now and then - the first one is free,lesson learned by all. After a while, it will become part of the mojo of the guitar.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Repair_and_touchup/Behlen_Lacquer_Repair_Kit.html

No worries, cosmetic is the kind of repair you want. The least invasive, and the least to worry about.

From the sounds of it, it seems so small you could actually not have it fixed, or have it fixed when ever.

Guitars are wonderful things but are material and not really your "baby". On the other hand, your three kids are your babies. Fix the guitar and don't damage your kids in the process. Stuff happens.

If it is just the finish (nitrocellulose lacquer) that is damaged, then a qualified luthier can fix that by drop filling, micro sanding and buffing. If the actual spruce fibers have been dented, it is a little more involved as they will have to be expanded first.

Guitars are wonderful things but are material and not really your "baby". On the other hand, your three kids are your babies. Fix the guitar and don't damage your kids in the process. Stuff happens.

Hey it can be my baby if I want it to be lol. I take great pride in things whether there material things or what. And don't worry no kids are going to be hog tied and hung in the woodshed for you to hear about on fox news later sheesh. Anyways.....I'm glad to hear its not too hard to fix. I can live with normal dings and scratches but this one looks like somebody knocked and chunk of finish off with a hammer and clean to the wood! I read an acrticle last night that talked about how costly and difficult it was to fix these so it scared the crap outta me.!

Hey it can be my baby if I want it to be lol. I take great pride in things whether there material things or what. And don't worry no kids are going to be hog tied and hung in the woodshed for you to hear about on fox news later sheesh. Anyways.....I'm glad to hear its not too hard to fix. I can live with normal dings and scratches but this one looks like somebody knocked and chunk of finish off with a hammer and clean to the wood! I read an acrticle last night that talked about how costly and difficult it was to fix these so it scared the crap outta me.!

No disrespect intended ..... never feared for your kids, and yeah, Gibsons do take on a special quality in our hearts ... btw, like your name!

Archived