Gibson Brands Forums

2 pickup Howard Roberts

brad4d8

Very odd, but it somehow looks factory.

I thought the same thing. But at the same time, its not hard for someone experienced in modifications to drill a few holes and screw a pickup to the body and make it look factory. If it is a factory job, its got to be a mock-up or prototype. I cant see Epiphone letting a guitar go into production with nothing but a couple of 1/4" screws holding a pickup to an acoustic soundboard and that little stabilizer bar in front of it.

Is the bridge PUP just screwed directly onto the top? [confused]

Indeed it is. Very strange and unlike something Epiphone would do.

Just my $.02 as always. [smile]

I cant see Epiphone letting a guitar go into production with nothing but a couple of 1/4" screws holding a pickup to an acoustic soundboard and that little stabilizer bar in front of it.

Indeed it is. Very strange and unlike something Epiphone would do.

Just my $.02 as always. [smile]

Yes, my thoughts, too, when I saw it. I would think they would have done two set in pickups or come up with a way to suspend both. It really looks to me like somebody just decided they wanted two pups and went ahead and did it. At least it's not one of the originals from the 60s that somebody "improved."

Brad

As much as I've always thought it would be cool to own an oval-soundhole HR model, the addition of that second pickup looks completely weird, unattractive, and counter intuitive to the acoustically oriented properties of the instrument. Too bad someone decided to go there, imho.

Also, notice that the tailpiece is not original, so I'm suspecting this was a custom mod job by someone. Some of the original Epi HR models had the control knobs mounted on the pickguard, so it would be fairly simple for a reasonably experienced guitar guy to add a pickup and new wiring harness for the new pickup, drill four holes in the body for the new controls, and add a new pickguard.

Archived