Gibson Brands Forums

What is this Hummingbird?

JKK

It's a Hummingbird all right. At some point in Epiphone's history, this clippled corner, Gibson headstock was the standard. Not a different or special model, just a particular vintage. What vintage I do not know.

Maybe someone smarter'n me can answer that.

Epiphone started switching over to the more traditional elongated headstock shape around 1998 with the introduction of the AJ-Series. There were a few exceptions prior to that, such as the Cabellaro and the Frontier, Excellente and Texan reissues. By 1999 & 2000, they started using this headstock on even more models. I'm not exactly sure what year they started using it on the Hummingbird, but by 2001 the Hummingbird definitely had the elongted headstock.

I like when manufacturers use thier past designs and the elongated headstock with the exception of certain vintage models and years where styles were different, I think it was a good change to incorporate it on it's contemporary lines.

Zoom it up and you'll see.........

I guess it looks like there could be a screw in the bottom center. But the pic looks like an Epiphone press pic. Maybe it is an ealry mock-up.

EDIT: It is an Epiphone press pic. The Hummingbird in the 1995 catalog shows the same TRC, but it is too small to see the screw holes. However, I can tell that it is the same pic due to other similarities between the two pictures....mainly, the rims are the same faded-out brownish color and the crown inlay have the exact same shading in them. Its totally a mock-up guitar for the new 1995 run of Hummingbirds.

1333403253[/url]' post='1168264']

I guess it looks like there could be a screw in the bottom center. But the pic looks like an Epiphone press pic. Maybe it is an ealry mock-up.

EDIT: It is an Epiphone press pic. The Hummingbird in the 1995 catalog shows the same TRC, but it is too small to see the screw holes. However, I can tell that it is the same pic due to other similarities between the two pictures....mainly, the rims are the same faded-out brownish color and the crown inlay have the exact same shading in them. Its totally a mock-up guitar for the new 1995 run of Hummingbirds.

Are any of these ever brushed versions of original prints? Alot of the vintage ads look that way.

My 1996 Korean Hummingbird:

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

The main differences I see on this compared to the models currently produced are:

1.) The Ivory tuning pegs as opposed to chrome;

2.) Different shaped headstock with sharper looking Epiphone logo - not the 'block' style font;

3.) The finish reaches right out to the shoulders, making it look more akin to it's Gibson cousin.

My 1996 Korean Hummingbird:

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

The main differences I see on this compared to the models currently produced are:

1.) The Ivory tuning pegs as opposed to chrome;

2.) Different shaped headstock with sharper looking Epiphone logo - not the 'block' style font;

3.) The finish reaches right out to the shoulders, making it look more akin to it's Gibson cousin.

How does the 96 sound though? I have a 2011 hummingbird and it sounds pretty good, not great but good. I still have yet to get around to making any upgrades to it. Just curious if the sound is the same as the modern ones.

My Hummingbird is a Korean made 1994 model, same as the pics above. Sounds really nice to me, better than the new ones I've played with in the stores and much better looking IMHO. I will say the inlays on the newer models look better than mine though, but I bought it used so couldn't say if it was better when new in 94. Either way I love it and wouldn't sell it for less than $1,000!

My PR-100 from 1998 also has the "les paul" style headstock. I was just getting into guitar in 1998 and was annoyed at the switch over to the elongated classic headstock. I prefer the les paul style.

Just found this on eBay.

Has the headstock and it's made in Korea.

I really want it but he won't ship internationally :(

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=120884783108

I'd be happy to act as a middle man if you wanted. You'd pay more for the shippng but I wouldn't ask for a fee or anything. I'm in Texas but I lived in the UK for five years and that used to drive me nuts as well! I actually bought my 1994 Epi Hummingbird in Essex and flew home with it on Virgin. They're surprisingly accomodating to passengers with a guitar. Just let me know!

Archived