Gibson Brands Forums

Hawaiian Coffee

brundaddy

Somebody gave me some Hawaiian coffee. Just brewed it. It has got to be the weakest coffee I've had in years - I dumped it out and started a new pot with my normal Cafe Du Monde. The Hawaiian coffee grounds's color was medium brown ... my CDM's grounds are blacker than coal.

I've fallen for the Hawaiian coffee ploy,but was recently reading in Consumers Reports of some such magazine is that coffees branded as Hawaiian are often as little as 20% Hawaiian mixed in with a cheaper blend.The last time I bought true Kona Hawaiian coffee it was $50 a lb. so I only bought a large cup of it at the coffee shop and that cost me 8 bucks.I haven't priced Kona recently mainly because I don't see it in even the speciality stores anymore so the price must have really gone through the roof.True Kona is really great coffee that is best when done to a medium roast as it has a very nutty flavour to it that doesn't become apparent when lightly roasted and takes on a bitter burnt flavour when done to a dark or European roast.My guess is that the coffee that you had was under-roasted and most likely not 100% Hawaiian.

Lately my second favourite-Jamaica Blue Mountain-has become priced out of reach so now I have to content myself with my 3rd choice-Kenya AA-which is a great coffee and is still at a reasonable price.

If you can see through the coffee, it's too weak. I'd have made a stronger batch.

IF, however, you drink a lot of Starbuck's, your taste buds are less sensitive to a coffee of 'normal' strength. I have been known, around my office, (before Starbuck's) to like strong coffee. I've tried Gloria Jean's, Starbucks and Caribou. They, in my opinion, are not drinkable. :blink: But, if you like coffee that will strip paint.... [omg]

I'm not much of a coffee freak, so I just use good old fashioned Folgers

Yup, hard to beat Folgers. ON the road, most fast food restaurants have excellent coffee at a decent price... even if it is now selling for $2.00/ large cup. [scared]

Somebody gave me some Hawaiian coffee. Just brewed it. It has got to be the weakest coffee I've had in years - I dumped it out and started a new pot with my normal Cafe Du Monde. The Hawaiian coffee grounds's color was medium brown ... my CDM's grounds are blacker than coal.

It seems your preference is for darker roasts. Any lighter roast will seem "weak".

If you can see through the coffee, it's too weak. I'd have made a stronger batch.

Trust me. It was obviously much lighter in color, so I doubled the grounds. Started to pour a cup and it looked like tea, so I threw it out. So then I tripled the grounds. Poured a cup and it still looked like tea. Took a sip and it tasted like tea.

I threw the rest out. I'm not wasting my time with that. It was about as bad as the coffee is in Texas.

Hawaiian coffee is tricky now! They can sell it as Hawaiian coffee as long as it has 10% Hawaiian grown beans. So there is a huge amount of quality and style of how they prepare the beans that determines what the coffee looks, smalls and tastes like. We have property in Maui so when were there and people visit that's one of the first things that want to try. I buy a french roast (dark robust roasting) from a organic grower in Kona. It's a wonderful rich dark roast and I usually brew it through a french press makes great coffee but sadly it's also 46 bucks a pound. so when companies not there we use a Keurig K cup single cup coffee maker.

Guest rogerb

I'm not much of a coffee freak, so I just use good old fashioned Folgers

One of the few vices I have left is coffee, I drink it black all day and into the evening but it really doesn't affect me [woot] . I agree, it's hard to beat Folgers.

IF, however, you drink a lot of Starbuck's, your taste buds are less sensitive to a coffee of 'normal' strength.

You mean burn your taste buds. Starbucks over roasts their beans and they brag about it; like it's a badge of honor to have your coffee taste burnt. But for those that weigh down their coffee with tons of sweeteners or fru-fru flavored syrups, you won't even notice.

If you like strong coffee and want to splurge for some really tasty and fragrant beans, dig this: Intelligentsia Black Cat espresso roast . They roast their beans here in Chicago so the freshness is unmatched. Intelligentsia is the only coffee I brew at home.

Sounds like brundaddy tried his best.

Latte: FR, A Milk drink, laced with coffee, suitable for being consumed by old people and children.

"I'll take mine straight up... and don't burn the beans."

True 100% Kona is my favorite coffee. It has become so expensive that about the only time I buy it is for Christmas - a special present for myself. When I buy it I order it from one of three kona factories on the Island as they grow, pick, roast, and ship directly.

Archived