Gibson Brands Forums

Cleartone Strings

jrplefty

It's time for new strings on my J-45 so I wandered to the music store. I'm still searching for the ideal string for my mahogany lady, with the john pearse 80/20 mediums in the lead so far. I decided to try a set of Cleartone 80/20 mediums. Just curious if anybody has played these strings at all?

I will give them a couple of days to settle in before I pass judgement on them.

Actually last year Cleartone sent me six sets of strings (3 for the J45 and 3 for the Stratocaster).

They are not bad strings at all, and it's really a choice of preference.

When I decided to restring my J45 I decided not to continue using cleartone. They are durable, but sadly do not have a "cleartone" . Kind of a bit "muffled" if you ask me. And quite expensive (unless the company sends you some freebies).

Many swear by them, though.

My advice give them a try and see what you think. It is very important to settle on a sound you like.

In the end, I have settled with the inexpensive Martin SP Lights (Phosph-Bronz). I like the balanced highs and lows of the strings and I can replace them with great frequency at a lower cost than the cleartones.

Tried the Cleartone 12's on my J-50. They were just horrible......super loose and soupy,...un-playable,...... I was super disappointed. They don't go any heaver than 12's and the Lighter options must be even worse!!!!

Newtone1.jpg

Newtone2.jpg

msp_thumbdn.gif

Here's my recent thread on Low Tension strings options:

My link

Haven't tried the Cleartones. I'll be interested to know what you think of them. I always use D'Addarios

I used the EXP D'Addarrio strings on my acoustics for years (but I usually play electrics)..The EXP sounded & felt much nicer than the Martins I used to use.

But then the Lowden F Short Scale Brazilian/Adi Custom came with Elixer Nano Phos.Br. 12-53..when I eventually put the EXP D'Addario's on they felt & sounded much stiffer (& guitar much worse)..I realized the Elixer Strings are imperitive to the sound of that Lowden.

I put the Elixers on the J200 Bozeman Prototype..and right away I had second thoughts (& raised the price while I reconsider the selling of it)..

The Martin (D42 Custom Shoppe) always was a target for my insults...but when I put the Elixir Strings on, it absolutely blows like an old one.Its a gigantic difference.

Somehow the strings feel more flexible but also drive the top & vibrate the back more..how that is possible I don't know but I really recommend a try.

Elixir should try making uncoated versions of these strings as well one day.

I had Cleartones on the J200 once..my first impression was "Wow.Sounds like the piano"..(the piano being a very good Steinway Model B Grand we have) but they felt like a set of .56's instead of the light they were (.53) guage

• 1 month later...

So, in the end I didn't give the cleartones enough time to make a fair assessment on their sonic qualities. Pretty much immediately upon putting them on they pulled the intonation on the low E and A off to the point that I could play an open G chord or open C chord without cringing. I ended up going to back to the Pearse 80/20's and things seem to have settled back to normal for the guitar. It seems really odd to me that .001 difference in gauge on 2 strings would make that big of a difference, but I guess it did.

I havent tried the cleartones yet, but I put a set of Curt Mangan P/Bs on yesterday, and Im pretty impressed so far

I've got an assortment of these strings on 5 guitars - I consider my string search over, these are not expensive, and hard to beat in my book - I've had a set on the J-45 for 2 months now, and I play that guitar (without a pick) nearly every day for an hour or two, and they still sound and feel wonderful.

I found them to be less in tone and volume than Elixir Nanoweb strings.Which are the ultra lite coating. I use them most of all now. I don't like Elixir POLYWEB however..they sound dull and lifeless to me and I hate their look. I don't expect to use Cleartone strings again, they performed, but not as well as elixir, nor did they last as long as Elixir. I use elixirs on my martin J-40 rosewood...Taylor 815ce rosewood...Epi Masterbuilt AJ500R, and RainSong Graphite guitars. 80/20 on all but the AJ500R on which I use PB.

Archived