Gibson Brands Forums

New EJ 160 E on the way

brixa

Just ordered a new ej160e due to arrive next week. This has probably been covered before but can someone advise what type and gauge of strings are on this. Any advice on what to get going forward. I had one of these guitars a few years back and used it as acoustic with acoustic strings. I plan to use this as an electric. All advice greatly appreciated.

I got my EJ160E some years back and contacted Epiphone about the string type. They said it is strung with Gibson SGE-900ML, which has a wound "G" string, just FYI. At first they were hard to find, so I had to order them. And at the time they were out of stock even online, but they seem to be in stock now. I ordered half a dozen then and one every now and then, just to keep some on hand. I thought about using acoustic strings, but I just like keeping it as it is for now. Good luck and I hope that helps.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a note of all suggestions. I've got a set of rickenbacker 12 gauge nickel round wounds spare as ive changed string type on my ric. Will go with that on the first change and take it from there! Cheers!

Mine came with Gibson L-5's. I now use Elixir Electric Nanoweb, 12-52.

Same gauges as the L-5's but tend to last longer. I don't play it acoustically,

but have heard that some people have had good results with Phosphor/Bronze strings.

Don't fall for the Pyramid Gold hype. $25 for strings that sound dead is not a bargain.

If you want to use flat wound try the D' Addario Chrome XL.

If you don't live in a humid area the L-5's are your best bargain.

Hi -

I have a EJ 160 E. Had it strung with Pyramid Gold Pure Nickel Flats, .10 - .0465 to replicate that early Beatle vibe. It's close enough for my needs. Why the nickel composition? The flats used by the Beatles and others were nickel; chrome is the American substitute which some will say have a different sound.

Enjoy your new guitar.

Regards,

Thanks to all for the string advice. Here's the 'fab' new arrival.

2012 Indonesian model. Set up from the box was perfect. Had to stretch the strings and re-plug the pegs and that was it. Good to have it back again!

Whereas the EJ-160-E is an electric acoustic then electric guitar strings are pretty well a necessity as phosphur-bronze strings and other strings made for acoustic only don't have great magnetic response that's needed for a good sound.I use D'Addario 10-46 nickel-wound strings with a wound 3rd on all my electric acoustics and find that sound bright and responsive when played acoustically too.The strings proper name is EXL 110W,the wound 3rd is only 18mm and is quite easy to bend for a wound string so even playing lead on a semi-hollow such as a 335 would be pretty easy.

congrats on the new EJ-160...

mine should be here before the end of the week. Epiphone told me it comes strung with 11ga, but I see several folks here are using 10's, should this require a truss rod adjustment by going with the lighter ga?

thanks

The new EJ160 has developed a bit of a problem. Got a vibration 'buzz ' when playing the wound strings 'open'. It all goes away when you fret the strings. Adjusted the truss, made no difference,then changed it back again as the action was OK anyway. Changed the strings to 12's - didn't work - probably worse. Have stretched the strings over the nut and changed the pins (no difference). On listening closely reckon the nut needs adjusted or 'slotted' better. It's going into a local shop on Saturday. Any ideas? The guy thinks it could be the nut. [thumbdn]

Hi -

I have a EJ 160 E. Had it strung with Pyramid Gold Pure Nickel Flats, .10 - .0465 to replicate that early Beatle vibe. It's close enough for my needs. Why the nickel composition? The flats used by the Beatles and others were nickel; chrome is the American substitute which some will say have a different sound.

Enjoy your new guitar.

Regards,

Just ordered a new ej160e due to arrive next week. This has probably been covered before but can someone advise what type and gauge of strings are on this. Any advice on what to get going forward. I had one of these guitars a few years back and used it as acoustic with acoustic strings. I plan to use this as an electric. All advice greatly appreciated.

Hi, see you've already got some good advice from others, not much to add, but there may be something here to help. All the best,

Nice to see all enjoying the Epi Lennon J160E. I've had mine a while, am a 'baby boomer' so grew up as a teenager in UK as a Beatles fan and still am, now living in Australia. I've corresponded with Gibson re clarifying some of the manufacturing specs of the EJ160E and they were very helful in response. Was also was lucky to get it set up by a great tech. I'm also a bit of a 'sad case' in researching Beatles history, unfortunately it's hard to sort the myth from the reality, mostly use Andy Babuik and Hunter Davies references. Anyway, hope this share helps:

- First decide if you want to play the EJ160E as an acoustic, or use the pickup as an electric.

- If acoustic, then phospher bronze strings or your preferred acoustic string will be fine, it's a GREAT acoustic guitar, solid sitka top and just gets better the more you play (or is it that I just get deafer, and can't notice the bad notes!)

- I you want to use it as electric, then you need to use Nickel electric guitar strings. Reason why on the next point.

- The pickup on the EJ160E is a proprietry Epiphone stacked humbucker (not a P90 like the Gibson original), and it's magnetic so needs the nickel strings to work. Using acoustic strings just won't do it very well.

- If you want to go down the road of trying to emulate the original Beatles sound, then research into 'Pyramid' strings, which are being re-made, expensive and hard to find (I haven't tried them yet, just done the research).

- Personally I have my EJ160E strung with 'Zebra' strings handmade by DR. They are a dual phosphor bronze and nickel wound string specially made for acoustic and electrical response. I like them, they sound good both acoustically and with my Vox amp. However, I will get some Pyramid's in the n.future to try, just haven't done it yet.

- If using to recreate Beatles sound, then play it through an Electric Guitar Amp, not acoustic, probably a Vox, or maybe Fender, you'll probably find it sounds better through a tube amp.

- Lastly the stacked humbucker pickup, you'll notice there are screw poles, my tech adjusted these individually for each string to balance them, sounds great.

One last thing, I found a Lennon smiley face truss rod plate on ebay, finishes it off nice.

Hope that helps, all the best, MikeCee

I challenge anybody to show any statement from a Beatle, or a Beatle's guitar tech stating that

they used Pyramid Gold Flatwounds on any of their acoustic guitars. I believe it to be urban legend.

I plunked down $25 for a set and thought they sounded terrible, amped or un-amped.

Just an observation.

I challenge anybody to show any statement from a Beatle, or a Beatle's guitar tech stating that

they used Pyramid Gold Flatwounds on any of their acoustic guitars. I believe it to be urban legend.

I plunked down $25 for a set and thought they sounded terrible, amped or un-amped.

Just an observation.

Agree, as I said 'hard to sort the myth from the reality', the only written published reference to 'Pyramid' strings I've come across is in Andy Babiuk book, which say's none of the bands at that time, including The Beatles cared much about the strings they used, just so long as they were new. It then states the most common used brands avail then in Liverpool which included 'Pyramid', that may be where the idea comes from?. So yes, like you, I'll be interested to see what the difference is when I get around to trying a set, at the moment I'm not doing enough to warrant the price for them, just playing it acoustically and it's sounded fine whatever I've put on it. In regard to the pickup, I did get it on record from Gibson they recommended nickel strings for optimum, that's why I tried the Zebra ones as compromise to try out, they sound ok.

Will be interesting if anyone else has any other published reference to 'Pyramid', as opposed to the inferences. I wonder what the good live 'cover. bands that do The Beatles acts use? now there's an interesting thread :-) Maybe it's all to do with the advice from the wise ones, e.g. "you'll never sound like clapton because only clapton sounds like clapton, you sound like you trying to sound like clapton" or something like that. All the best, Mike

Pyramind Strings are made in Germany. The Beatles played an awful lot of gigs in Germany in the early years. They no doubt used Pyraminds strings quite often.

Ya think ?

Faded...

• 2 months later...

hi i also order a indonesian epiphone and it's coming by next week... so excited i'm planning to change it with d'addario 85-15 great american bronze and use it as an acoustic, do you thinks its perpect fit? and BRIXA can you post other photos of your ej-160e, so excited

[biggrin]

is it also an urban myth that when Lennon & McCartney asked for strings in a music shop and were asked what kind they replied "Long shiny ones"?

Lennon always professed to be more of an artist than a muso...

I have Elixir 11s on mine and to my ear they sound better than the PB D'addarios I had it strung with previously

Strings are definitely a matter of taste and choice!

Congrats on your new EJ160 - hope you enjoy. I started the post when I got it new in April. To be honest I haven't used it much as I have 2 Gibson acoustics that are amazing. I had to get the guitar a proper set up as it developed an annoying buzz when certain open strings were struck. They re-cut the nut, did work on the truss and the pins and it came back like a different beast. I currently use it at the weekend to play along with early Beatles numbers and work between the Epi and my Rickenbacker. I currently have Elixir Nano .12's on it but I'm not happy with these and can't find a set of .12 electric strings with a wound G that I like. I've adjusted the pots on the pick-up but no matter how I set up the B string loves to be heard above all the others ;-(. If you decide to put acoustic strings on I would go with Bronze and keep to 12 gauge. I hope you enjoy as it's a great guitar for the money - it's just I've too many others to compare it with.

Congrats on your new EJ160 - hope you enjoy. I started the post when I got it new in April. To be honest I haven't used it much as I have 2 Gibson acoustics that are amazing. I had to get the guitar a proper set up as it developed an annoying buzz when certain open strings were struck. They re-cut the nut, did work on the truss and the pins and it came back like a different beast. I currently use it at the weekend to play along with early Beatles numbers and work between the Epi and my Rickenbacker. I currently have Elixir Nano .12's on it but I'm not happy with these and can't find a set of .12 electric strings with a wound G that I like. I've adjusted the pots on the pick-up but no matter how I set up the B string loves to be heard above all the others ;-(. If you decide to put acoustic strings on I would go with Bronze and keep to 12 gauge. I hope you enjoy as it's a great guitar for the money - it's just I've too many others to compare it with.

thank you for the reply brixa, i decided to use it as an acoustic, did you change your nut and saddle to bone ones? do you recommend changing it to bone for better tonal quality?, were both lucky to have the indonesian very, it's much better than the china made ones... ;) can you post some photos of your epi? like to compare it to mine with its' physical aspect thak you :)

I think strings and setup emphatically are a matter of taste.

Zebras work fine for me - and best of all, come in 9-42 for an AE. How I play fingerstyle, that's almost perfect on the PR5e.

Most of my other current AEs are wearing 10s. One or two will have the 9-42s added for fingerpicking; the 10s will remain for some flatpicking, but they're a little stout for what I tend to do with my left hand fingerpicking.

Back in the olden days I used some mag pickups on "acoustic" guitars and frankly the sound wasn't that bad at all, depending on how you play.

A friend has one of the old 1950s Gibbies that looks like the PR5e and wears acoustic strings on it for his strumming style. It sounds like... an acoustic... when he wires it through a PA. He tends to strum closer to the soundhole than some folks - but then, it's a smaller body than any sort of dread or jumbo.

I think we tend sometimes to get overcooked in our heads on tone through purchases rather than how we play and what's comfortable for how we play. If we're just strumming root chords... okay, play the game. For more, I think setup and comfortable strings and how we do our right hand technique are prime decisions.

m

just wanna ask why did you choose bronze over phosphor bronze? thaks man :)

Archived