Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Hendrix's first TV appearance

Rabs

Jimi spent years on the "Chitlin' Circuit" honing and refining his provocative stage moves.On the liner notes of one of their albums,Kelly Isley of The Isley Bros. recounts a story about a venue they played either in Bermuda or the Carribean.They were in their dressing room when they heard the audience explode with cheering and applause.Figuring that it was a popular local act,they went to check it out,only to see Jimi on his knees playing with his teeth and the crowd was eating it up.This wouldve been in 1964 at the very latest,so even when the Beatles and Elvis were considered outlandish with their gyrations and long hair Jimi was taking that general theme and putting his own over the top spin on it.

This another thing that seperated Jimi from everyone else,besides being the ultimate guitarist he was also the consummate showman,taking things that had been done by others but also improving on them and refining them to the Nth degree.

I don't think they have Jimi located correctly in this. He ain't the one next to the Sax player. That guys right handed. Jimi's the one with the sunburst Strat all the way to the left end (lefty player) between the drummer & next to the hollow body guitar player I think. Also, that guy to the left has Jimi's hair (not the huge fro like in the experience years). You can just barely see him in the clip.

What's ya'll say?

Aster

I don't think they have Jimi located correctly in this. He ain't the one next to the Sax player. That guys right handed. Jimi's the one with the sunburst Strat all the way to the left end (lefty player) between the drummer & next to the hollow body guitar player I think. Also, that guy to the left has Jimi's hair (not the huge fro like in the experience years). You can just barely see him in the clip.

What's ya'll say?

Aster

Agreed they got it wrong.. as mentioned you see his arm swoops and at the end you can actually hear its him by the playing :)

Yeah, you may be right on the Jaguar. I just can't see it well enough with that guy dancing in front. Funny how the "nobody" in the back that didn't matter in the video clip really became the "somebody" and eclipsed most all of the guitar players.

Aster

It's definitely a Jazzmaster as it has the wide white P-90 looking pickups whereas the Jaguar-like my '65-has thin Strat-like pups.If you look closely you'll notice that Jimi is bobbing and shuffling in a much more pronounced fashion than the others on the back line.That was part of the reason that Little Richard fired Jimi,he used to routinely show up at venues just in the nick of time dressed in a frilly shirt like Richard wore rather than the plain white collar shirts that other band members wore plus he used to sneak in his now famous moves when Richard was busy sizing up some young guy in the front row.

It's definitely a Jazzmaster as it has the wide white P-90 looking pickups whereas the Jaguar-like my '65-has thin Strat-like pups.If you look closely you'll notice that Jimi is bobbing and shuffling in a much more pronounced fashion than the others on the back line.That was part of the reason that Little Richard fired Jimi,he used to routinely show up at venues just in the nick of time dressed in a frilly shirt like Richard wore rather than the plain white collar shirts that other band members wore plus he used to sneak in his now famous moves when Richard was busy sizing up some young guy in the front row.

Little Richard on Hendrix.. (of course after his death)

Man that guy was a nutter...

Guest farnsbarns

Hmmm, Jimi has gone all right handed on us. There is another chap playing left handed, looks similar, could be Jimi but that chap pointed out with the arrow at the beginning ain't Jimi Hendrix. Sorry.

Archived