Gibson Brands Forums

LP Special ??

igor

The only binding I see is on the fingerboard, I assume that's what he is talking about. Also he mentions chrome hardware and gold tuners (that I can't see). Is that a normal mix?

Hmm, I have some concerns. First, illegible serial on back of headstock. Plus under what appears to be MADE IN USA it looks like a 4-digit number, which doesn't gibe with Gibson's numbering system. Also, it says it has Gibson P-90's but sfaik Gibson P-90's on Specials have always had black covers, not creme.

There may be legit explanations for all of this but I'd proceed with caution.

Hmm, I have some concerns. First, illegible serial on back of headstock. Plus under what appears to be MADE IN USA it looks like a 4-digit number, which doesn't gibe with Gibson's numbering system. Also, it says it has Gibson P-90's but sfaik Gibson P-90's on Specials have always had black covers, not creme.

There may be legit explanations for all of this but I'd proceed with caution.

While the illegible serial is a legit concern as to whether the seller is trying to hide something, the guitar looks genuine to me.

The seller's statement says he modded the guitar with creme covers and gold knobs: . "2011 Gibson Les Paul Special with binding purchased new at Guitar Center in December 2011 $1,000 plus tax. Beautiful deep grain mahongany cherry body with cream binding, matching cream P-90 Gibson pickups and gold volume/tone controls which were all switched out with the original black covers. The cream covers and gold knobs make this guitar pop unbelievably and accentuate the cream binding which feels like the very best of the 60's slim-taper bound necks Gibson has to offer (think 60's 335 neck on contoured Les Paul body which is excellent when sitting)." He also removed the pickguard - you can see the screw holes.

Gibson started putting years on the back of some model's headstocks in 2008, which would most likely be your four digit number found under MADE IN USA. Gibson's serial number system has nothing to do with that year stamp.

Igor -

Looks good to me. If you're interested, email or post a question to the seller as to whether the original covers, knobs and pickguard will be included in the sale.

I did email him with those specific questions. No reply yet. Also, I'm not that familiar with the Gibson LPs, is it common for them to show up with no pick guard?

You can see the screw holes from the pickgaurd being removed.

It appears in every way I can see to be a genuine Gibby. I recently researched the value of my '96 special and determined 650 bucks. I would think this one is worth 600-650 if he has the origonal parts. If not, maybe 500 OR subtract the price of the parts.

I think I remember these currently sell for 1000$ new, but I would confirm that if it matters to you.

It's a great looking guitar, beautiful top. They are solid mahogany, and very toneful.

I have an '02 LP Special Faded that used to be black. It's a great player, very very fast neck, thin and great for rock n roll and fast chording changes. It never had a pickguard. It has 490R and 498T humbuckers, and is a very simple looking guitar that is high quality. It is a great, rugged gig guitar, but sounds great and plays really well. I really recommend a hard case if you get it..they deserve better than a gig bag.

mark

Mine was about $600 well used and a bit abused and bought several years ago, but it is a lower priced discontinued version with a rough finish...I think $700-$800 or so is not out of line depending on condition and with original parts.

- He is stating that its a genuine Gibson.

- He bought it at GC.

- He has a 100% > 50 feedback.

- Guitar looks genuine to me....

I would say its a safe bet its a real Gibson... And with Gibson P90s its likely a tone monster...

The statement about him changing the pickup covers must've been added, or I didn't see it originally. In either case, that's what I had in mind when I said there could be a legit explanation.

As to the pickguard, as others have pointed out the screw holes are visible, so the seller (or predecessor) took off and is not a concern.

So with that it looks OK. If Gibson is putting year dates on the back of headstocks now, where do they stamp the serial #?

Archived