Gibson Brands Forums

'08 Studio. Shhhhh....

Murph

Just got my daughters birthday present. Fireburst. Only got to check it out a few minutes. Looks great. Plays good, intonation is good "by ear", saddles look staggered correctly, I'll get more time when she's in school tomorrow.

I gotta keep this a secret for 2 weeks! This is gonna kill me. She's outgrowing her 3/4 Squier Strat, and has been a musician since age 5, winning several talent contest for yodeling, also plays fiddle and piano. She likes a Les Paul and my options were an Epi, or this great deal with the MF "Hush" discount a few days ago. I opted for the real deal.

Questions.... Being an '08 I assume it's chambered. I wonder if it has the Traditional neck joint, or the '08 Standard neck joint? Or, are the Studios weight relieved?

Can't wait to hear it.

Wonder if she'll let me play it? ](*,)

My wife and I bought our kids matching Squire Affinity Strats and 10 watt Marshall practice amps for Christmas. I thought we were cool parents but You Da Man. I love that fireburst color too. I'd be tempted to play it while she was out playing with her friends. You better get permission first.

Cheers,

GWN

See, I did the "off limits" thing with my first wife and kids. Now neither of my sons play, actually the oldest does a little.

When I remarried, the daughter was so well behaved, and talented, I went the other way. I "pushed" her to play. I was told NOT to do that back with the first ones.

The guitars are tools to me, I gig in bars. She can play any guitar I have as long as she treats it with respect, and she knows this and does. In return, she will play them. She had the 3/4 Squier when she was 4. She got a fiddle when she was 5. She has a cheapo acoustic also with Elixers. But now she can "hear" the poor tension on the 3/4 size guitars. I took her to a music store the other day and let her play an Epi Les Paul, and we watched the Gibson show on Bio, and I "helped' convince her the les Paul was what she needed......

A quality instrument will inspire you to play. It does me.

Thanks for your kind words.

Murph.

I told my kids the first one that can play the solo in "Stairway" correctly gets the Standard when I retire it.

I got a cheep Epi for my daughter over three years ago (she was 12). She has basically never played it. She doesn't have the music gene.

My son on the other hand has one of the best music ears of anyone I know. He is amazing. We watch videos on youtube and he can tell when the bass player hits the wrong note on a live performance. Look up the Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die". Now find the wrong note. I didn't here it. Neither did my classically trained wife. But my (then) 8yr old son picked it out and when we listened carefully several times we found him to be correct. He actually helps me pick out the notes in lead lines of songs. Currently he is taking violin lessons and his teacher is amazed at him after only one year. He has been given my Ernie Ball Music Man (knock off) in which I had upgraded the pick ups to Seymour Duncan's. By the time he is 15 I suspect he will earn the LP Standard and probably be better then me. Which BTW is ok with me.

here is the link to the youtube McCartney song. find the wrong note. Let me know what you find.

Also: I know it might piss some off and do love GnR and Slash, but I think that McCartney video has more passion and raw energy then the GnR version. BTW my son agrees with me.

I screwed up and posted the wrong youtube video. My wife informed me it was a Queen w/Paul Rogers singing "We are the Champions". I have looked for the exact video and since there are a dozen different ones, I can't find the correct one. Sorry for wasting your time. But, that McCartney video kicks ***. Don't you think?

Whoops. El Snag O...

The fretboard had a bad cut between the 2nd and 3rd fret below the 1st E. Actually had a splinter snag thing. Called MF, printed the RA, she's going back, getting another.

I have no idea how that could have gotten past Gibson. Other than that it looked and played good.

I've got a few weeks, so all is good.

Murph.

Had a gig last night in Mayfield Ky., didn't get a chance to "track" the Les Paul going back until today. All looks good. MF should get " 'Ole Splinter"back on the 18th. I'm guessing a day or so before the replacement ships.

It's the weirdest thing I ever saw. Looked like a small Skil Saw ripped into the fretboard, making it useless. Leaving a splinter. The splinter went under the 2nd fret, it could NOT be broken off without a problem.

Thanks to all. I'm hoping the replacement is perfect, because we ARE dealing with a Birthday here. (time element!)

Murph.

Update. The replacement got here Fri. I gigged out of town and just got a chance to check it out. It's just fine, intonation is good "by ear", setup good, fit, finish, ect. Plugged her up, electronics are all good.

Repacked it, now I have to keep it a secret for another week. Sheeze.......

Only thing I noticed on both of them is the serial # is barely legible.

Thanks again.

Murph.

Thanks Thunder. Yea it's an '08 Fireburst Studio. Didn't come with a pickguard. Gold hardware. I didn't really like gold, but she's a girl, and in quizzing her in previous months, she did. But, having said that, it works with this guitar.

My '03 J45RW has gold tuners. It works. I guess I really don't care anymore?

Yea, I need to buy a digital camera and figure out the pics.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived