Gibson Brands Forums

I never really liked strat tones...but this changed my mind.

dem00n

The American '62 RI is one of my favorites. In fact it was the first electric guitar I bought when I decided to come back to playing. Planning to re-string mine tomorrow while I wait for Fed Ex to bring my MIM Sonic Blue Classic 60s Player... then I'll compare the two and see what I think!

The '62 reissue is a faithful representation of the "L" series Strats which IMHO were the absolute best Strats made.To hear the lovely bell-like tones of an L series Strat all you have to do is listen to Jimi's first 2 albums.The Wind Cries Mary,May This Be Love,Are You Experienced,One Rainy Wish,Little Wing, Axis Bold As Love. After CBS took over the production of Fender there was a marked change in everything and that included the pups.Of course Strats still sounded like Strats but there was something missing from the tone of the pickups and that was the beautiful ringing chime of the L series.Fender has recaptured that beautiful tone to an extent with the 57/62 pickups and the Tex-Mex also can come pretty close with a bit of twiddling the EQ on the guitar and amp.If I were to buy a new Strat today it would most definitely be a '62 reissue or if one of those wasn't available I'd get a Jimmie Vaughn with its Tex-Mex pickups.

As far as I can tell, dem00n, you still don't like Strat tones..............:lol:

As I'm sure you are all sick of hearing by now I had an all-original '64 (L 16783 - I still remember!) for 24 years and that re-issue demo is not typical of what I think of as being 'Strat-tone'. Nowhere near glassy enough IMHO.

To my ears (admittedly through my PC's sound circuitry and a pair of 'phones) there was far too much 'beef' from the p-ups. It sounded much more like examples of Strats I owned from the early '70s.

I'm sure it's a lovely guitar but I'm not sure the demo was doing it justice - again, IMHO.

But then again, what each of us considers to be 'Strat-tone' will vary from individual to individual.

( I'd do the 5 switch mod though ).......

As it happens, damian, I wouldn't. The five way, obviously, gives two o-o-p positions and, therefore, tones. The original 3-way in mine as mentioned above could be jammed in several different positions between the three fixed indents and there were commensurately more o-o-p tones to be found when compared with a 5-way. If it's possible to buy a replacement 3-way it might be worth swapping-out the 5-way in my '60s Classic. Further investigation required, methinks.

P.

The utter delight of the "quack" was that it wasn't supposed to be. That you had the switch stuck between, and if you leaned just wrong to butt yer smoke or hit yer beer, it would probably jump mid or back, since it was a three way switch and not supposed to be there.

I've never kept a 5 way in anything, if I have a new Fedner coming in the house there will be a 3 way going it real soon. It isn't right, and I'm still stinging that they didn't ask before putting those cursed 5 way switches in them.

And then everyone tore the behind outta "quack" so it got lame before it even got to be kewl.

But Ls rocked, and rocked hard. Never owned one, played lots, wish I had one. The sound of a strat, to me, is an L series with tg or clf penciled in it.

rct

If it's possible to buy a replacement 3-way it might be worth swapping-out the 5-way in my '60s Classic. Further investigation required, methinks.

Oh heck yes. If you can't get them over there let me know.

rct

Oh heck yes. If you can't get them over there let me know.

rct

Thanks very much for the offer, rct. Very kind of you. [thumbup]

As it happens, I've just (now) been on the 'phone to my favourite dealership in Town and they tell me they have the 3-way in stock. They also assure me that the new switches are the same spec as the old ones - having fitted one for a customer as recently as last week.

I'll have to pop in sometime this week and pick one up.

P.

Archived