Gibson Brands Forums

The NEW Live Album Poll!

kaleb

Round 2! I updated the poll cause' I now think that the original was kinda lame.

I deleted some, kept two, and swapped albums by the same band, as well as added some new ones!

All The World's A Stage for me this time!

Rush, GFR, Priest and the Allmans all rate up at the top for me. Just depends on my mood as to which one I'll listen to.

Taking a drive out in the country with Live At The Filmore playing will pleasure you in ways your wife will never understand!

Rush always makes me feel content. Priest is always good when I'm feelin' high! And everyone knows that I put on Alive! when I need to cut loose!

And everyone loves Grand Funk!

I like the way you think!

Why do you continue to ignore Led Zeppelin?

Granted, I don't think their Live album is that great, but others do, and they should be entitled to vote their fav. Who knows, they might even win. Are you intentionally trying to irritate people?

Led Zeppelin is THE BIGGEST Rock band of the 70's. Deal with it.

Why do you continue to ignore Led Zeppelin?

Granted, I don't think their Live album is that great, but others do, and they should be entitled to vote their fav. Who knows, they might even win. Are you intentionally trying to irritate people?

Led Zeppelin is THE BIGGEST Rock band of the 70's. Deal with it.

I featured live albums I like....

I love Zeppelin but The Song Remains The Same remains not a favorite of mine!

I featured live albums I like....

I love Zeppelin but The Song Remains The Same remains not a favorite of mine!

kaleb: I featured live albums I like

LOL !!! Then you should name the poll an "Albums That I Like Poll " .

Close, but no "Cigar" . No pun intended.

"Their 111.5 million certified units in the United States rank them as the second-best-selling band in the US. Each of their nine studio albums reached the top 10 of the Billboard album chart in the US, with six reaching the number-one spot.[3] Rolling Stone magazine described them as "the heaviest band of all time",[4] "the biggest band of the '70s"[5] and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history".[6] Similarly, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame stated that in the 1970s the band were "as influential in that decade as The Beatles were in the prior one".[7]

A review in Rolling Stone magazine referred to Physical Graffiti as Led Zeppelin's "bid for artistic respectability", adding that the only bands Led Zeppelin had to compete with for the title "The World's Best Rock Band" were The Rolling Stones and The Who.[6

Led Zeppelin IV is one of the best-selling albums in history and its massive popularity cemented Led Zeppelin's status as superstars in the 1970s.[55][56] By 2006 it had sold 23 million copies in the United States alone.[57] The track "Stairway to Heaven", although never released as a single, is sometimes quoted as being the most requested,[58] and the most played[59] album-oriented rock FM radio song.

The album (Houses Of The Holy) topped the charts, and Led Zeppelin's subsequent concert tour of North America in 1973 broke records for attendance, as they consistently filled large auditoriums and stadiums. At Tampa Stadium, Florida, they played to 56,800 fans (breaking the record set by The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965), and grossed $309,000.[62] Three sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden in New York were filmed for a motion picture, but the theatrical release of this project (The Song Remains the Same) was delayed until 1976.

In 1988 John Kalodner, then-A&R executive of Geffen Records, remarked that "In my opinion, next to the Beatles they're the most influential band in history. They influence the way music is on records, AOR radio, concerts. They set the standards for the AOR-radio format with 'Stairway to Heaven,' having AOR hits without necessarily having Top 40 hits. They're the ones who did the first real big arena concert shows, consistently selling out and playing stadiums without support. People can do as well as them, but nobody surpasses them".[179] Andrew Loog Oldham, the former producer and manager of The Rolling Stones, commented on how Led Zeppelin had a major influence on the record business, and the way rock concerts were managed and presented to huge audiences.[180] The band have sold over 200 million albums worldwide according to some sources,[115] while other sources state that they have sold in excess of 300 million records,[181] including 111.5 million certified units in the United States. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, Led Zeppelin are the fourth highest selling music act in the US and one of only three acts to earn four or more Diamond albums.[182] Led Zeppelin remain one of the most bootlegged artists in the history of rock music."

Make of it what you will, ChanMan.

Ahem....

pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon.png

Close, but no "Cigar" . No pun intended.

<assorted wiki gobshite>

Make of it what you will, ChanMan.

Opinions/assholes. We all got 'em.

I spent far more time in the '70s listening to Floyd than Zep. I prefer Floyd to Zep. To me, the greatest band of the '70s was Pink Floyd. I didn't really get into Zepplin until college in the '80s.

Don't like it? Awesome!

I think if a group sold the best in a certain era out of other groups that they would have to be the "best" or most sucessful for that time period. Numbers dont lie, unless they intend to.

I still like Tribute the most.

I think if a group sold the best in a certain era out of other groups that they would have to be the "best" or most sucessful for that time period. Numbers dont lie, unless they intend to.

I still like Tribute the most.

I think most folks would agree that commercial success is certainly an excellent indicator of overall popularity. There are, however, other factors to consider.

More internet drivel:

Top Rock Bands

Selections are determined by a combination of album sales, radio airplay, touring history, and degree of continuous popularity. 1. The Beatles

Essential Album: Revolver

With record sales estimated at more than a billion worldwide, no other band had a greater influence on the course of rock music.

2. Pink Floyd

Essential Album: Wish You Were Here

At the vanguard of the Progressive Rock movement, they have sold more than 200-million albums since 1967. One of the first bands to use light shows and fireworks in their live performances.

3. The Who

Essential Album: Who's Next

One of the first, most successful, and longest lasting power trios, The Who were innovative both musically and technically.

4. Rolling Stones

Essential Album: Sticky Fingers

The original "bad boys" of rock, the Stones are among the most durable bands, recording and touring with few breaks since they began in 1961.

5. Led Zeppelin

Essential Album: Led Zeppelin IV

Their "Stairway To Heaven" is believed to have received more radio airplay than any other song in history, even though it was never released as a single.

6. Eagles

Essential Album: Their Greatest Hits

Another of rock's longest-lasting acts, their 1976 greatest hits album is the biggest selling album of all time.

7. Grateful Dead

Essential Album: Anthem Of The Sun

One of San Francisco's first "flower power" bands, their fan following is nearly as strong today as it was when the group disbanded in 1995.

8. Jefferson Airplane

Essential Album: After Bathing At Baxter's

Pioneers of the Psychedelic Rock genre, they were in the vanguard of the counter-culture of the '60s and '70s.

9. The Doors

Essential Album: The Doors

In spite of a short life and limited discography, they became one of rock's most popular and influential groups.

10. Moody Blues

Essential Album: Days Of Future Passed

With the exception of a few years in the mid-70s, this Progressive/Psychedelic group has toured and recorded since 1964.

I think most folks would agree that commercial success is certainly an excellent indicator of overall popularity. There are, however, other factors to consider.

More internet drivel:

Top Rock Bands

Selections are determined by a combination of album sales, radio airplay, touring history, and degree of continuous popularity. 1. The Beatles

Essential Album: Revolver

With record sales estimated at more than a billion worldwide, no other band had a greater influence on the course of rock music.

2. Pink Floyd

At the vanguard of the Progressive Rock movement, they have sold more than 200-million albums since 1967. One of the first bands to use light shows and fireworks in their live performances.

3. The Who

Essential Album: Who's Next

One of the first, most successful, and longest lasting power trios, The Who were innovative both musically and technically.

4. Rolling Stones

Essential Album: Sticky Fingers

The original "bad boys" of rock, the Stones are among the most durable bands, recording and touring with few breaks since they began in 1961.

5. Led Zeppelin

Essential Album: Led Zeppelin IV

Their "Stairway To Heaven" is believed to have received more radio airplay than any other song in history, even though it was never released as a single.

6. Eagles

Essential Album: Their Greatest Hits

Another of rock's longest-lasting acts, their 1976 greatest hits album is the biggest selling album of all time.

7. Grateful Dead

Essential Album: Anthem Of The Sun

One of San Francisco's first "flower power" bands, their fan following is nearly as strong today as it was when the group disbanded in 1995.

8. Jefferson Airplane

Essential Album: After Bathing At Baxter's

Pioneers of the Psychedelic Rock genre, they were in the vanguard of the counter-culture of the '60s and '70s.

9. The Doors

Essential Album: The Doors

In spite of a short life and limited discography, they became one of rock's most popular and influential groups.

10. Moody Blues

Essential Album: Days Of Future Passed

With the exception of a few years in the mid-70s, this Progressive/Psychedelic group has toured and recorded since 1964.

I'm talking about Era's. There was no beatles in the 70's.

2. Pink Floyd

I would have thought that Dark Side of the Moon was the essential Pink Floyd album (even though I love wish you were here).. Dark Side is certainly the most commercially sucessful? :-k makes me suspicious about where that list got its information from

I'm talking about Era's. There was no beatles in the 70's.

I beg to differ, sir. The Beatles' music is STILL popular and played today.

See.... that's the thing about music... ESPECIALLY those bands like the Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Rush, Aerosmith... they transcend "eras", and every decade sees new fans buying their music, even long after the bands have split up or died off.

Archived